Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 11-25-2009, 05:47 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Tomlin serves notice to players

View from the Press Box
http://blog.triblive.com/view-from-t...ss+Box+Blog%29

Tomlin serves notice to players
November 25th, 2009

Mike Tomlin took his seat at the table in front of the media work center at the Steelers' practice facility and paused.

Hey, even the youngest coach ever to win a Super Bowl has to wait for live TV.

And as he watched for the signal to begin speaking, Tomlin said, “Dammit, I’m on edge today.”

He laughed but then served notice during his longest news conference of the year that his players will be put on edge too.

Whether that means more intense practices or the removal of the pool and/or ping pong table in the Steelers’ locker room remains to be seen.

But if Tomlin clearly got the message across that the Steelers need to have more of a sense of urgency as they try to avoid the first three-game losing of his coaching tenure.

“We’re going to be aggressive about solving our ills,” Tomlin said.

He showed he was serious later in the afternoon when the Steelers signed linebacker Rocky Boiman and safety Corey Ivy and released cornerback Keiwan Ratliff and linebacker Donovan Woods.

The two were brought in to bolster a kickoff coverage team that has been dreadful, and Tomlin said more starters may be used on the unit starting Sunday night in Baltimore.

The Steelers have given up four kickoff returns for touchdowns in their last four games. Woods joined Arnold Harrison in essentially getting fired because of the alarming breakdowns the Steelers have had on a unit that yielded just 19.1 yards per kickoff return last season.

“Giving up touchdowns while your defense is on the sidelines is unacceptable,” Tomlin said.

Tomlin essentially said the same thing about turnovers — and the fact that the Steelers have five more of them than they do takeaways.

“Sometimes you’re going to turn the football over and there’s things you can’t do about that. I understand that,” Tomlin said.

He cited the interception that Ben Roethlisberger threw when the Steelers were deep in Kansas City territory last Sunday as an example.

“Willie Colon got beat off our right side, Ben got hit as he threw the ball, sometimes those kinds of things are going to occur,” Tomlin said. “But we just need to prepare with an edge and really prepare with efficiency in mind and limit the number of opportunities where we expose ourselves to turning the ball over.

“If we (create more turnovers) and stopped getting kicks returned on his we’ve got a chance to be a good football team.”

Tomlin reiterated what he said after the 27-24 overtime loss to the Chiefs: the Steelers were not prepared for the game.

He did not elaborate on where the Steelers were lacking leading up to the game they had no business losing. He did make clear that his players better be more focused with the 6-4 Steelers at a crossroads.

“We did not execute winning football so obviously we didn’t prepare well enough,” Tomlin said of the loss to the Chiefs. “As a head coach, as a guy that leads the charge, that’s the way I look at it, so I will make changes that I deem necessary in terms of our preparation to become a more edgier, more productive football team inside stadiums.”

Last edited by HometownGal; 11-25-2009 at 06:32 AM. Reason: Removed double post.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 07:16 AM   #2
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351
Default Re: Tomlin serves notice to players

Mike needs to step it up. We have been losing games we should win!
Old 11-25-2009, 07:54 AM   #3
mulldog24
Starter

Member Number: 13119

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeltheone View Post
Mike needs to step it up. We have been losing games we should win!
I agree with you and it is alarming to me when the head coach says the team wasn't prepared for the game!!!! That falls squarely on Tomlin's shoulders!!!!
mulldog24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 08:39 AM   #4
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

“But we just need to prepare with an edge and really prepare with efficiency in mind and limit the number of opportunities where we expose ourselves to turning the ball over."

Think he means RUN THE FREAKING BALL MORE!!!
Old 11-25-2009, 08:45 AM   #5
arge5809
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 13245

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino 6 Rings View Post
“But we just need to prepare with an edge and really prepare with efficiency in mind and limit the number of opportunities where we expose ourselves to turning the ball over."

Think he means RUN THE FREAKING BALL MORE!!!

Why do we have to run the ball more!!! I say do WHATEVER it takes to win the game...pass or run!!!

arge5809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 08:47 AM   #6
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

Quote:
Originally Posted by arge5809 View Post
Why do we have to run the ball more!!! I say do WHATEVER it takes to win the game...pass or run!!!

Expose themselves to turnovers...ie...throwing the ball in a 5 wide formation on 1st down from the 8 yard line instead of power running or at least Play Action Pass...
Old 11-25-2009, 09:08 AM   #7
Michael Keller
Starter

Member Number: 5736

I am sorry but this team and future Steeler teams are never going to be CONSISTENT until Tomlin or some one with guts shows Bruce Arians the door. Won"t happen until he is gone. This is not a fair weather fan . I made that statment after we won the Super Bowl last year. We are wasting so much talent it is disgusting .

What really concerns me is that we have a great QB whose career is going to much shorter then it should be .

Arian defenders are nevr going to know the difference until he is gone and man do I ever hope that becomes a reality and soon.
Michael Keller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 06:09 PM   #8
btaylor179
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 15251

i agree 1000% arians needs to go along with the other guys that got cut
btaylor179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 06:15 PM   #9
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Keller View Post
What really concerns me is that we have a great QB whose career is going to much shorter then it should be.
And who stands behind said OC 100%. Why do you suppose that is?
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 06:17 PM   #10
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino 6 Rings View Post
Expose themselves to turnovers...ie...throwing the ball in a 5 wide formation on 1st down from the 8 yard line instead of power running or at least Play Action Pass...
If Mendenhall continues to carry the ball like a loaf of bread, we're going to be just as susceptible to turnovers running it.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote