Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...
Bills
GAMEDAY
September 11, 2014, 8:25pm ET
CBS

Old 01-25-2006, 01:07 PM   #21
Cape Cod Steel Head
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 545
Default Re: "Duuuuuuuuuuuuce" Staley

He's good when healthy which isn't that often. You can't afford to pay somebody that much money to ride the pine for 8 to 10 games a year. Get what you can for him.
Cape Cod Steel Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 01:13 PM   #22
Koopa
Living Legend

Member Number: 508

i'm not gonna give up on duce, we are gonna need him next year if bettis retires, willie can not carry the load and needs someone to help him out. i'm sure duce will restructure his deal he did it this past offseason, he is a team guy and that's why we didn't see him much this year, he is letting bettis get his. this year is gonna save a year or two on his career and i think he might be able to take the starting job back from willie cause again willie can not carry the load he has showed he can't in the playoffs
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 02:24 PM   #23
Eztarget
Starter

Member Number: 162

I'd rather see Duce let go and them offer Duckett (a free agent from Atlanta) a contract to replace Bettis. Duce had a lot of great years in Philly but his body is beat up worse than Bettis's. Duckett is much younger and running behind our line vs Atlanta's I think he would do awesome.

Parker for speed, Duckett for power.
Eztarget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 02:31 PM   #24
augustashark
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 900

The best thing about our RB situation is that we have found out how good Ben can be! I think without a doubt that if Duce was healthy and or Bettis was in his prime that we would not have made it to the SB..I think that Cowher would have tried and tried to run the ball, but because of the RB's, we have thrown the ball and we found out that as long as Ben is here and healthy we will be contending for years to come. A great QB and D with an ok running game will win you championships!!! Even if we end up with Willie and Veron as are stater and backup for next year we will contend again (if the D plays well)! Look at what the pats did in winning 3 out of 4 SB's.....Ok running game with great QB and D play!!! I say let Duce go or take a huge paycut and focus on depth at WR and DB's and O-line!! IMO
Old 01-25-2006, 03:04 PM   #25
MichiSteeler
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 959

I like the trade up for a chance at White idea. I also like the Duckett idea. I know he is a pretty good power runner that doesnt really get his glory. He played in my hometown and I watched him at Michigan State all the time. He seems like he would be a good back for our system. Except I'd rather have him carrying most of the load with Willie relieving him.

"The Steelers drafted guys who were bigger, stronger and faster than I, but they never found one who could take my job away from me."- Jack Lambert

Go Buckeyes and Spartans!
MichiSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 03:41 PM   #26
TasmanianTroy271
Team Captain

Member Number: 544

I just think that Duce can't play the 3rd down back role, Cowher loves what Willie's been doing this year, and what's the point of having Bettis this year if we don't play him? that leaves Duce as the odd man out.
Old 01-25-2006, 03:50 PM   #27
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302

Staley is a bust! No two ways about it! Cut all ties ASAP. Bring Bettis back for one more season, and draft Lendale White!
Old 01-25-2006, 04:00 PM   #28
1fastprototype
Water Boy

Member Number: 1071

What is the official injury to Duce? I have seen people recover from open heart surgery quicker. I say let him go and take your chances in the draft or go after someone. Look at the Bears they put everything on the line for Groosman and where did they get? A mediocare QB only healthy for 6 games in 3 years and a bust in the playoffs. Sometimes you just cut your losses and move on.
1fastprototype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 04:14 PM   #29
Eztarget
Starter

Member Number: 162

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevestinks
Staley is a bust! No two ways about it! Cut all ties ASAP. Bring Bettis back for one more season, and draft Lendale White!
When we win two weeks Bettis WILL retire. I've heard stories about how Bettis can't walk until Wednesday's after games without pain. The guy's gained a TOUGH 12,000+ yards and his body is showing it. Duce had a horrible heal/instep injury when he was in Philly and a lot of doctors said he might never play again when it happened. He did manage to come back but he's a shell of his former self from his hey-day in Philly.

If they can trade up and get White that would be awesome (imagine a young QB, young speed back in Parker and younger power back in White) but if not I'm still for going after Duckett. I just think Duckett would excel in our system with our Line blocking for him.
Eztarget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 06:54 AM   #30
SteelerFanInATL
Team Captain

Member Number: 369

Some players go through periods where they keep getting hurt. I wouldn't get rid of him.
He had over 700 yards in about nine games. If healthy he will produce. IMO we should keep him, draft a RB ( I'm another one who is not sold on Willie P.) and keep Parker ane Haynes. If Duce is healthy use him and Parker alternating in the backfield.