Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 11-27-2009, 10:53 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Hines Ward as No.3 quarterback? It's a possibility Steelers could face

Hines Ward as No.3 quarterback? It's a possibility Steelers could face
November 27, 4:29 AMPittsburgh Sports Examiner
Matt Pawlikowski
http://www.examiner.com/x-2703-Pitts...ers-could-face

PITTSBURGH - Mike Tomlin has a lot of confidence in his team, despite back to back losses for the second time this season.

But perhaps the biggest vote of confidence he has showed came this week in regards to the quarterback situation.

Ben Roethlisberger was knocked out of Sunday's loss to the Chiefs with a concussion, but has been practicing with the team all week. He cleared a battery of tests early in the week and told reporters yesterday that he was fine and not worried about things.

Still it’s hard to overlook the fact that in past after suffering a concussion his next game back he was not very good and the Steelers lost.

Back-up Charlie Batch is out for 2 to 4 weeks with a break in his arm or wrist area meaning with a must win game against the Ravens on Sunday Night Football the backup for Roethlisberger should he struggle or be knocked out of the game is unproven Dennis Dixon.

Dixon saw reps with the first team this week, sending signals that either Tomlin has questions about Roethlisberger or he was preparing Dixon for a worst case scenario, the latter being most likely.

Asked about the possibility of getting the call during the Ravens game, Dixon said there was no additional nervous energy, but was excited about the possibility.

"I won't have to do everything, there is a lot of leadership on offense, from the offensive line to the receivers, the running backs and it goes from there, I have a lot of confidence in them," Dixon said. “I like where I am at, and if it need be for me to go in and make a couple of plays I am ready."

The Steelers did sign former Pitt standout to the practice squad, but should both Roethlisberger and Dixon get injured against the always physical Ravens, it brings up an interesting scenario.

Who is the No. 3 quarterback?

"Obviously, if we get down to that, the situation is going to be dire and our personality is going to change quite a bit," Tomlin said. “Regardless of who it is, we’re not going to ask this guy to move the chains throwing and catching the football."

This may have been the hint.

Tomlin makes note of 'throwing and catching the football'. which is something that veteran Hines Ward has done during his career. Ward actually excelled in college as an all-purpose player at Georgia.

Two other possibilities on the team in an emergency include veteran DeShea Townsend who was a very good quarterback in high school at renowned South Panola High as was Willie Gay, who excelled as an all-purpose player at Rickards High school in Florida where he also saw snaps behind center.

On Thanksgiving Day the Steelers did bring in two veteran quarterbacks for workouts and physicals as both Patrick Ramsey and Todd Bouman were at the South Side facility.

Ramsey, was a first-round draft pick of the Washington Redskins in 2002, was released Oct. 23 by the Tennessee Titans. The 30 year old qb has 5,930 yards in his career and has a 79.4 passer rating. He last played in Denver last season as Jay Cutlers backup.

Bouman, 37, has been a career backup, with his last start coming in 1997 when he was elevated to the starting role to replace the injured Daunte Culpepper. He has 1,683 yards and has thrown for 11 touchdowns in his career.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 11:03 AM   #2
KeiselPower99
Living Legend

Member Number: 8552
Default Re: Hines Ward as No.3 quarterback? It's a possibility Steelers could face

We want Losman!!!!
Old 11-27-2009, 01:59 PM   #3
markymarc
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 2292
Default Re: Hines Ward as No.3 quarterback? It's a possibility Steelers could face

I would really hate to see William Gay back there under center. I am sure Ward can easily handle it if we did lose Ben and DD on Sunday night. But here's to us never finding out who the #3 QB would be. Ben leads us to victory
markymarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 02:20 PM   #4
devilsdancefloor
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 10172

I think hines could handle it BUT i never ever want to find out

I believe that today more than ever a book should be sought after even if it has only one great page in it. We must search for fragments, splinters, toenails, anything that has ore in it, anything that is capable of resuscitating the body and the soul.

devilsdancefloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 02:49 PM   #5
7/39/43
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 6289

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeiselPower99 View Post
We want Losman!!!!
watch your language! that is very offensive
Old 11-27-2009, 02:55 PM   #6
Nadroj 20
Team President

Member Number: 14045

Ward was a QB in college and im sure he could do a decent job if needed but lets just hope hes not needed.
Nadroj 20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 03:17 PM   #7
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,235 Times in 1,379 Posts

anyone else ever wonder why ward has never attempted a pass on a gadget ?
MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 03:26 PM   #8
Nadroj 20
Team President

Member Number: 14045

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
anyone else ever wonder why ward has never attempted a pass on a gadget ?
I hope you do not think because they haven't used him in gadgets that he CANT do it.....thats not always the case.

I have thought this some as well but i do not think its because he cant make a good pass or anything

and sorry if i have misunderstood your post.
Nadroj 20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 03:27 PM   #9
SteelGhost
Starter

Member Number: 13528

I hope the running game works nicely, whoever plays QB
SteelGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 03:52 PM   #10
SteelerEmpire
Team President

Member Number: 14355
Thanked 1,486 Times in 677 Posts

Hines Ward or Townsend..... Yea.... keep it in the family.....!!!!!

A HOUSE DIVIDED WILL FALL TO IT'S ENEMIES;
BUT IN UNITY THERE ARE 6' SUPER BOWLS !!!
SteelerEmpire is offline   Reply With Quote