Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 11-27-2009, 05:06 PM   #1
willie_district
Water Boy

Member Number: 13859
Default Roethlisberger may sit out; decision on Saturday

According to Jason La Canfora's NFL.com blog...

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/11/27/roet...r-may-sit-out/

Ben Roethlisberger, who suffered a concussion Sunday in Kansas City but was symptom free and able to practice all week, may opt to sit out Sunday night’s game against the Ravens, according to a league source. Roethlisberger was officially listed as questionable by the Steelers and widely expected to play, but informed coach Mike Tomlin Friday that he might sit out the game as a precaution, according to the source.

Roethlisberger told Tomlin he fears taking another blow to the head so soon after being knocked from a game, and will make a final decision on his playing status on Saturday morning, before team meetings, according to the source. The message caught the organization completely by surprise, as Roethlisberger made it through a full week of practice without complications and, until Friday afternoon, had given every indication he would play.

Roethlisberger, who has suffered concussions in the past, is the only veteran quarterback on the roster. Backup Charlie Batch is out after a wrist injury, and youngster Dennis Dixon is now the primary back-up, and now the potential starter in a key game. Roethlisberger has waffled on his playing status dealing with certain injuries in the past, and the team does not have a read on which way he will lean come Saturday, with one source who knows Roethlisberger calling it an “hour-to-hour” situation at this point.

The only other quarterback on the roster is Tyler Palko, who was just signed to the practice squad this week. The Steelers worked out veterans Patrick Ramsey and Todd Bouman Thursday, and though both performed, well did not sign either due to the expectation Roethlisberger would play. Neither veteran knows the system well enough to play this Sunday in Baltimore, so if Roethlisberger opts not to start, the Steelers would have to gauge whether or not he is open to serving as the backup or emergency quarterback.

Concussions have become an increasing concern around the NFL, and the Steelers will continue to take every precaution, with Roethlisberger able to make a determination about his status. Earlier Friday, before meeting with Tomlin, the Pro Bowl quarterback pronounced himself ready to play to the media, but the Steelers are most definitely uncertain about that reality now.
willie_district is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 05:20 PM   #2
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,681 Times in 1,592 Posts
Default Re: Roethlisberger may sit out; decision on Saturday

WTF ....
MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 05:28 PM   #3
BlastFurnace
Living Legend

Member Number: 6321

I don't believe anything from Jason LaConfora. He was the same twig that said that Casey was going to be a cap casualty before the season began.
BlastFurnace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 05:33 PM   #4
SteelGhost
Starter

Member Number: 13528

As much as I'd like him to play, if he's not 100% I prefer him to sit out. Concussions are serious injuries. As I said in another thread, I hope the running game works whoever plays QB. Get well Ben
SteelGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 05:49 PM   #5
jjpro11
Living Legend

Member Number: 3559

i don't know if i believe this report either... it doesn't seem like a reliable source. but can anyone blame Ben if he did decide to sit out? he's only won us 2 Super Bowls, takes more punishment than any QB in the league by far, and already played one game a week after a concussion and played horrible.
jjpro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 05:54 PM   #6
Riddle_Of_Steel
Head Coach

Member Number: 13727

Could be just some smoke and mirrors so the Ravens don't know who to prepare for this weekend....we are pretty desperate at this point and would probably take any leg-up we can get.
Old 11-27-2009, 06:00 PM   #7
Crow-Magnon
Team Captain

Member Number: 9500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddle_Of_Steel View Post
Could be just some smoke and mirrors so the Ravens don't know who to prepare for this weekend....we are pretty desperate at this point and would probably take any leg-up we can get.
That, or the Drama Queen strikes again!

I would have a lot of respect for Ben if he does indeed sits out. Not because I think it gives Baltimore a better chance of winning (even though it surely will), but because concussions are not to be trifled with.

But if you're going to sit, then sit. If it's up in the air, then let your HC tell the media. Otherwise it smacks of ego.
Crow-Magnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 06:09 PM   #8
Shoes
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 6382

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crow-Magnon View Post

I would have a lot of respect for Ben if he does indeed sits out. Not because I think it gives Baltimore a better chance of winning (even though it surely will), but because concussions are not to be trifled with.

But if you're going to sit, then sit. If it's up in the air, then let your HC tell the media. Otherwise it smacks of ego.
Exactly!
Shoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 06:15 PM   #9
SteelCityMom

Member Number:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crow-Magnon View Post

For one, this is hardly the media, it's a blog writer. Secondly, this blog writer never once states that Roethlisberger came out and said anything...just that a "source within the league says" (he actually writes "according to a league source" 3 different times).

So you can drop the drama queen and egotistical crap.
Old 11-27-2009, 06:20 PM   #10
Crow-Magnon
Team Captain

Member Number: 9500

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityMom View Post
For one, this is hardly the media, it's a blog writer. Secondly, this blog writer never once states that Roethlisberger came out and said anything...just that a "source within the league says" (he actually writes "according to a league source" 3 different times).

So you can drop the drama queen and egotistical crap.
Quote:
Roethlisberger told Tomlin he fears taking another blow to the head so soon after being knocked from a game, and will make a final decision on his playing status on Saturday morning, before team meetings, according to the source
If the source is correct, then it sounds like Roethlisberger said it, not someone else.

And if this was the first time, I'd have nothing to say. But let's be honest, Ben has tried to milk controversy he can out of any injury.

He plays a lot tougher than he acts.
Crow-Magnon is offline   Reply With Quote