Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 01-25-2006, 05:29 PM   #1
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,207 Times in 2,670 Posts
Default more motivated or motivated by more

since the motivation for each team going into this game seems to be a hot topic, heres a little wordplay to provoke thought. can motivation be measured? is motivation just to win the superbowl enough? you always hear "you shouldnt need motivation to get up for this game" or "motivation for a ring and to be champs is enough". if you buy into this school of thought, then yes, both teams going into this game are equally motivated.

is there a threshold to the ammount of motivation? is it like a glass that is 100% full? (we always hear the expression "give 110%" when it is impossible to give more than 100% by definition.

or can motivation be stacked like blocks? if you buy into this school of thought then the steelers are motivated by more. they are trying to win their coach his 1st sb after years of critisizm not the seahawks, they are motivated by making history:

tied for franchise w/ most sb wins
1st team to win it as a 6 seed, going 4 games on the road to win it (a record that cant be topped.
doing it with the youngest qb ever (the players wanna do this for ben just like they do for jerome)

so yes i believe that the steelers are motivated by more. but doesnt this just motivate the seahawks to prevent these records from happenning or jerome getting his ring? does more motivation (oops i mean motivated by more) for one team just make equal motivation for the other?

great! now were right back where we started.
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 05:42 PM   #2
3 to be 4
Team Owner

Member Number: 992
Default Re: more motivated or motivated by more

you know, the Seahawk players have also been waiting their whole lives as football players for this moment. Fans focus on their team goals, and so do players of course.
But the individual players are living it, and they have a stake in it no fan can measure.

so i dont think there can be a "who is more motivated" at this level.

the 53rd man on the rosters want to win this as much as Bettis or Alexander or anyone.
the media always focus on what these things mean to the stars. But when the media made SUCH a big deal over Brett Favres father dying it made me wonder, hasnt some anonymous special teams player ever lost HIS father before a big game? Havent many adult men lost their fathers? Why is Favres more important? I lost my Dad in 1988 and nobody called me a hero for going to work a few days later.
So really, why is Bettis winning a Super Bowl more important than some rookie who just barely made the team who grew up in the project who lost a sibling to drugs or a mother to cancer last year? I think Bettis would be the first to say its no more important that he win a Super Bowl than anybody else who has worked and struggled their whole life to get there.
just my two cents on all this motivation stuff
3 to be 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 06:09 PM   #3
SteelerzGirl
Banned

Member Number: 689

I think I just got a headache...(lol).
SteelerzGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 06:17 PM   #4
lotas
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 1176

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 to be 4
you know, the Seahawk players have also been waiting their whole lives as football players for this moment. Fans focus on their team goals, and so do players of course.
But the individual players are living it, and they have a stake in it no fan can measure.

so i dont think there can be a "who is more motivated" at this level.

the 53rd man on the rosters want to win this as much as Bettis or Alexander or anyone.
the media always focus on what these things mean to the stars. But when the media made SUCH a big deal over Brett Favres father dying it made me wonder, hasnt some anonymous special teams player ever lost HIS father before a big game? Havent many adult men lost their fathers? Why is Favres more important? I lost my Dad in 1988 and nobody called me a hero for going to work a few days later.
So really, why is Bettis winning a Super Bowl more important than some rookie who just barely made the team who grew up in the project who lost a sibling to drugs or a mother to cancer last year? I think Bettis would be the first to say its no more important that he win a Super Bowl than anybody else who has worked and struggled their whole life to get there.
just my two cents on all this motivation stuff
awesome point, that turns me around ive never thought of it like that. maybe the heros are the ones that dont get mentioned after tragic events like that but go on working just as hard.
lotas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 08:40 PM   #5
3 to be 4
Team Owner

Member Number: 992

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerzGirl
I think I just got a headache...(lol).

im just sayin........
3 to be 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 11:10 PM   #6
VegasStlrFan
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 976

Wow this is a pretty deep topic. I believe there are different elements of motivation. They will all want it just as much for themselves thats a given, but there are things like how close knit the team is, belief in the coach, pride, the underdog/no respect card, etc... all the way to how they were raised.

The additional "elements" come into play when a person is tired, injured, or beaten on a play, etc... When do they start to doubt? When will they give up/quit? Whats the pain threshold? That give up, doubt level, or pain threshold is different for every person, but it is there. Its when it shows up that is different, and that is affected ever so slightly by the additional elements. Just a thought.
VegasStlrFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 11:20 PM   #7
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

I do believe that motoivation can be quantified - im not sure what scale you would use though.

Sometimes players/ teams are simply more willing to keep going to the well to try and put things right when events turn against them.
Trailing 21-3 at the start of the 4th Quarter - motivation can be measured by watching an RB on the trailing team, fighting for every last yard in a desperate attempt to turn the game around.

Motivation is a two way street though - especially in pro sports - if you are too keen its very possible you will play over-excited and your judgement will suffer - a QB forcing a pass, a CB trying to make the big play, an RB trying to hit a hole before it forms.....

NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 12:56 AM   #8
seahawksfan
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 1328

Great topic. Thanks for starting it. I hear that teams that want it more win. I believe that motivation, chemistry is justas if not more important than talent. Base talent every team has to have; desire is critical. Every player brings their team motivation/drivers. They also bring the personal drivers to succeed. It's the great coach that will focus the collective desire to exceed all expectations, to drive performence to victory, that seperates them from the other coaches.

I love the strategic part of game schemes; half-time adjustments, etc. However, the player/coach leadership that plays in when the going gets tough is most special.

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin
seahawksfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 10:28 AM   #9
melroseplace
Team Captain

Member Number: 520

Quote:
is it like a glass that is 100% full? (we always hear the expression "give 110%" when it is impossible to give more than 100% by definition.)
I think if you asked any player I'm sure they would tell you there is such a thing as more than 100%. as a fan I can tell when the guys are playing 100% and when they're playing 110%

Quote:
chemistry is just as if not more important than talent
I completely agree