Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 11-29-2009, 11:25 PM   #1
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327
Default 3 Losses-a Comparison

Ok. Trying to get ahead of all the doom and gloom out there.

There has just been something bugging me about the last few weeks. It has felt eerily familiar. Then, I figured out why. Check out this comparison.

In 2005, the Steelers were coming off a dominant year. They looked not quite as good as in 2004, but still good enough in the first half to make the playoffs.

In 2005, just like 2009, the season started with a win against the Titans.

Then, We lost 2 of the next 4 games, just like this year.

We then went on a role, charging out to a 7-2 record. This year, we had a 6-2 record.

In November, we started dropping games. We lost to the Ravens, then the Colts, then the Bengals. This year, we started dropping games in November, literally one week earlier than last time. We have lost to the Bengals, the Chiefs, and then the Ravens.

That year, we also played the NFCN division, yes, the Bears, Packers, Vikes, and Lions.

Funny thing happened that year. We won the SB.

"Just a little bit of history repeating...?"
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 11:27 PM   #2
RunWillieRun
Team President

Member Number: 3226
Default Re: 3 Losses-a Comparison

I hope your right, Preach.

I just think the problems run too deep this year, but I'll be pulling for a W each week from here on out cause I think we'll need to run the table to get in.

Here's to hope!
Old 11-29-2009, 11:28 PM   #3
Big7BenHOF
Team Captain

Member Number: 5192

I like this post man. This season does remind me of the '05 year quite a bit to be honest with ya.
Old 11-29-2009, 11:34 PM   #4
Bluedust
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 14019

What's the team shown you this year that you believe we could win all 5 games?
I mean, I understand, positive thoughts help us sleep better at night but we've played awful all year, in 2005 we were a strong team that just hit injuries and had Bussy to emotionally lead them on.
Bluedust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 11:36 PM   #5
Gnutella
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13861
Thanked 1,372 Times in 499 Posts
My Mood: Bitchy

At least we didn't give up a defensive or special teams TD this week. YASS!!! The streak is BROKEN!!!
Gnutella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 11:40 PM   #6
Steel_Bus_24
Team President

Member Number: 2886

we didn't drop any games to no sorry ass teams like bears and chiefs this year....In 05 it was all to contenders

I want to believe real bad that its like 05 though..........................

that fffffing Madden Curse...........in 06 it was Cowher n the fffng Head Coach game

Also Known as SteelerSpartan
Steel_Bus_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 11:44 PM   #7
Shoes
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 6382

.......many are already saying "our season is over".......sure wouldn't want to be in a foxhole with these guys. I felt good about the game tonight and we can still make the playoffs
Shoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 11:45 PM   #8
BlastFurnace
Living Legend

Member Number: 6321

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
Ok. Trying to get ahead of all the doom and gloom out there.

There has just been something bugging me about the last few weeks. It has felt eerily familiar. Then, I figured out why. Check out this comparison.

In 2005, the Steelers were coming off a dominant year. They looked not quite as good as in 2004, but still good enough in the first half to make the playoffs.

In 2005, just like 2009, the season started with a win against the Titans.

Then, We lost 2 of the next 4 games, just like this year.

We then went on a role, charging out to a 7-2 record. This year, we had a 6-2 record.

In November, we started dropping games. We lost to the Ravens, then the Colts, then the Bengals. This year, we started dropping games in November, literally one week earlier than last time. We have lost to the Bengals, the Chiefs, and then the Ravens.

That year, we also played the NFCN division, yes, the Bears, Packers, Vikes, and Lions.

Funny thing happened that year. We won the SB.

"Just a little bit of history repeating...?"
Although there are coincidences, I don't see it this year Preacher. All year long, the Steelers have been a step slow and bad injuries.

I just hope we can get to 10 wins. I'm not sure if we will make it or deserve a playoff spot.
BlastFurnace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 11:48 PM   #9
MT83
Water Boy

Member Number: 15444

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluedust View Post
What's the team shown you this year that you believe we could win all 5 games?
I mean, I understand, positive thoughts help us sleep better at night but we've played awful all year, in 2005 we were a strong team that just hit injuries and had Bussy to emotionally lead them on.
They've lost their 5 games by a combined 18 points, and every loss has come without Troy Polamalu, someone who will return to action before the playoffs, as will Ben. This team has had the ball bounce away from them a couple times this season and have also been hit by the injury bug. I'm not saying we're going to the SB for sure, but this team is still solid, other than the special teams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel_Bus_24 View Post
we didn't drop any games to no sorry ass teams like bears and chiefs this year....In 05 it was all to contenders

I want to believe real bad that its like 05 though..........................

that fffffing Madden Curse...........in 06 it was Cowher n the fffng Head Coach game
Yeah, but we were manhandled by the Colts in the regular season, and that was with the team healthy. At least this team has shown that they can play close with just about everybody (seriously, the Vikings all the way to the Chiefs).

Last edited by MT83; 11-30-2009 at 12:11 AM.
MT83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 11:57 PM   #10
Bluedust
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 14019

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT83 View Post
They've lost their 5 games by a combined 18 points, and every loss has come without Troy Polamalu, someone who will return to action before the playoffs, as will Ben. This team has had the ball bounce away from them a couple times this season and have also been hit by the injury bug. I'm not saying we're going to the SB for sure, but this team is still solid, other than the special teams.

Yeah, but we were manhandled by the Colts in the regular season, and that was with the team healthy. At least this team has shown that they can close play with just about everybody (seriously, the Vikings all the way to the Chiefs).
Being manhandled by the front-runner for the SB that year is nothing compared to going into OT with an eventual 0 - 6 Titans before Young, and losing to awful, awful teams like the Bears and the Chiefs who was utterly embarrassed today, and almost giving up every game we played. The Chargers had no reason to get that close to us.

There's nothing wrong with just admitting we're a bad team this year, you don't need to have blind fanaticism to be a real fan of any team.

That said, of COURSE we could run the table and make the playoffs, but anyone who really thinks it's a high possibility is just lying to themselves, and that isn't healthy!
Bluedust is offline   Reply With Quote