Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 11-30-2009, 02:11 AM   #1
Gnutella
Head Coach

Member Number: 13861
Thanked 2,684 Times in 984 Posts
My Mood: Bitchy
Arrow Steelers team priorities for 2010

DISCLAIMER: I will not permit this topic to turn into a Bruce Arians debate. We have enough of those on this board already. I'm analyzing the roster here. Feel free to leave comments regarding the roster.

With that said, it's now pretty easy to get an idea of what the team needs to do in order to improve their position in 2010, regardless of what happens between now and the end of the season. Here's what I think we need to focus on...

Steelers team priorities for 2010

1. ST - I don't expect Jeff Reed to come back, and I do expect our coverage units to improve -- not that our kick coverage could possibly get any worse. We'll probably need a new PK, and we'll definitely need some gunners. With that said, if the special teams don't improve dramatically next season, then it might be time to look for a new special teams coordinator too.

2. NT - Casey Hampton is on the wrong side of 30, and he plays a position that's more physically punishing than any other except possibly RB. Unlike RBs, however, which are a dime a dozen, good NTs are hard to find. Why else do you think Ndamukong Suh is considered a grand prize in the 2010 draft? (Sweet, I found a reason to type 'Ndamukong Suh' in this topic!) What I'd like us to do is offer Hampton a two-year contract extension, or franchise him if he doesn't accept an offer. Draft a young NT to take Hampton's place no later than 2012, but preferably by 2011.

3. CB - Losing Bryant McFadden has proven to be much more damaging to our secondary than I originally thought. Making matters worse is that DeShea Townsend is a shadow of his former self. While I've always respected him, he's our Old Yeller now, and we have to put him down. I'd like to see us draft a stud CB and reduce William Gay to the nickel defense again. This is his opportunity as a full-time starter, and I'm really not that impressed.

4. LB - Lawrence Timmons and LaMarr Woodley are here to stay, and James Harrison should be able to give us at least a few more good years. The problem is, James Farrior, like Townsend, is in dramatic decline. He's in his mid 30's now; he doesn't seem to get as much push as he used to, and he's become a downright liability in pass coverage. Time to groom a new starter between Woodley and Timmons.

5. RB - It's clear now that Rashard Mendenhall is our primary back, and Mewelde Moore is our all-purpose back. Now all we need is a goal-line and short-yardage back. This is where either Frank Summers or Isaac Redman is supposed to step up. Redman has the inside track right now, but both are young and things can change. The one name I haven't mentioned yet? Willie Parker. I believe we've seen the last of him as a Steeler. He's healthy again, yet his role has been very limited in the offense. The writing is on the wall.

6. QB - Dennis Dixon popped his cherry on national TV, getting his first start. He played OK, but not well enough to win. Hopefully this will give him some valuable experience. As for Ben Roethlisberger, I expect him to continue to improve. He needs to find that balance between deliberation and patience. If his first read is open, just throw it to him even if somebody else is "more open" and/or further down the field. Conversely, he needs to continue taking what defenses give him. He's done a much better job of that this season, but I still catch him getting greedy on occasion.

Anything else I'm missing? Feel free to add something.
Gnutella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 02:40 AM   #2
MJ5150
Starter

Member Number: 3203
Default Re: Steelers team priorities for 2010

Sounds pretty good for 11:35 at night when I am still pissed off after a heartbreaking loss.

I would like to see the DB improvements a priority. Ziggy Hood should be better next year as will Keyaron Fox. I haven't seen enough of the new crop of DB's to know if any have pro potential in our schemes.

The offense seems fine to me. If Ben continues to get banged around I fear his career will be cut short sooner than later so I hope we keep Dixon around. I don't suggest we throw a bunch of money at him, but at least keep him active in the system and move him to #2.

Where did Limas Sweed go?

-Mike
MJ5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 02:44 AM   #3
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 4,307 Times in 1,829 Posts

first of all..suh at around 300lbs would be most likely considered as a DE in a 3-4 , not a NT... someone like Terrence Cody, or Dan Williams would be a better fit at NT.

farriors is in "dramatic decline " ??? thats kind of a knee jerk reaction isn't it ? sure he's whiffed a few tackles and blown a few coverages , but who hasn't ? but i DO think they need to start grooming farriors successor soon, if they have a shot at roland McClain or brandon spikes, i hope they pull the trigger.

CB... didn't they just draft a CB in the 3rd round ? keenan lewis... i guess because he didn't start this year he's a bust huh ? IMO i think they need to look for a ballhawking FS before a CB...i like clarks hits, but he's just not much of a playmaker in coverage.

RB... i can see them using a 3rd or 4th on one, but i don't think its a huge priority unless they decide not to resign parker or moore.

so IMO NT, FS , OT, ILB, OLB CB, RB, WR
MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 02:52 AM   #4
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976

Honestly, with the personnel we've got at LB and DL, and with 3-4 nose tackles being almost impossible to find anymore, we might as well switch to a 4-3 defense soon.

Voila! About 10 problems solved at once.

Gay is certainly living up to his name, but since we drafted two guys with potential, I'm not worried about our CBs in the future. Today is another story.
Old 11-30-2009, 03:04 AM   #5
MJ5150
Starter

Member Number: 3203

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
Honestly, with the personnel we've got at LB and DL, and with 3-4 nose tackles being almost impossible to find anymore, we might as well switch to a 4-3 defense soon.
Just wondering.....with our current roster, how do you line up for the 4-3? Not the whole defense, just the 4-3 portion.

I'm not being confrontational at all. I have wondered this myself on and off during the year. I would be interested to see how you think it would line up if we were to play it next week.

-Mike
MJ5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 03:13 AM   #6
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

Farrior has looked old most of the year. His time is over. A big need.
Old 11-30-2009, 05:08 AM   #7
Steeldude
Living Legend

Quote:
Losing Bryant McFadden has proven to be much more damaging to our secondary than I originally thought
i really don't get this. mcfadden did nothing last year or at anytime on the steelers to suggest that the steelers are missing him. i hear he is playing horrible for the cardinals this year.

the steelers need to address the DL and possibly the O-tackle position too, because of depth issues.
Old 11-30-2009, 05:29 AM   #8
Rick5895
Team President

Member Number: 5148

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeltheone View Post
Farrior has looked old most of the year. His time is over. A big need.
Huh? Sorry but I disagree. He has played well most of the year, not being able to cover Rice doesn't get my, "he's too old" trophy. Not too many LB's can cover Rice.

Safety is a need as is CB and DL. Although I wouldn't be too hard on Clark for that big play to Clayton. He did his job properly in reading the TE. Wm Gay let him go. Gay has been a liability all season.
Rick5895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 05:48 AM   #9
solardave
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13734

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post

Voila! About 10 problems solved at once.

Gay is certainly living up to his name, but since we drafted two guys with potential, I'm not worried about our CBs in the future. Today is another story.
I defended Gay for awhile but last night he was real suspect. So was Ike for that matter.

Our secondary needs some help tackling. I'm not saying replace anyone at this point but they really need to wrap people up. The D-line played pretty good last night but we game up some passes that we shouldn't have. If one man in coverage changes our entire scheme (Troy) we're in trouble. I know Troy is all world but the others need to STEP UP!!!
solardave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 02:42 PM   #10
AlleghanyAdams87
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 15219

They will resign Reed and Hampton. Smith will return and give the D-Line alot of depth. Hood will push to get in on 50 percent of the D snaps. Reed has hit 83 percent of his fgs this year and after watching the Ravens kicking struggles after releasing someone who was reliable to them, we would be foolish to look for a new kicker especially a project. Safety, Linebacker and corner will be draft priorities. On the o-line...We need to add depth at the tackle positions, but we are still young. This draft should be and will be a heavy on defense.
AlleghanyAdams87 is offline   Reply With Quote