Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Closed Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 09:08 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Don't Blame Arians' Play-Calling Against Baltimore

Don't Blame Arians' Play-Calling Against Baltimore
http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2009/11/30/d...altimore/#cont
Posted Nov 30, 2009 10:00PM By JJ Cooper (RSS feed)

Bruce AriansThere are a lot of legitimate criticisms that can be thrown at Steelers offensive coordinator (starting with the toss sweep to Mewelde Moore on third and two against the Chiefs). But Steelers fans who are criticizing his play-calling against the Ravens seem to be asking too much of the man.

If the Steelers had known on Wednesday that Dennis Dixon would be starting, Arians could have crafted a gameplan to take advantage of Dixon's mobility. But the Steelers didn't figure out that Roethlisberger wouldn't play until Friday at the earliest (the team didn't find out until Saturday). By that point, the gameplan had already been fully installed.

Making it even worse, Dixon didn't even become the No. 2 quarterback until this week. So understandably there were no plays in the playbook designed to take advantage of Dixon's strengths.

Even with very little time to get Dixon ready Pittsburgh did seem to add one play--a run-pass option--for Dixon which worked for a 24-yard rushing touchdown. But in general Arians was calling play from a playbook designed for Roethlisberger--a veteran with two Super Bowl rings--with a second-year quarterback who had thrown one NFL pass.

Considering all that, getting Dixon to go 12-for-26 for 145 yards with a touchdown, an interception and 27 yards rushing is a pretty impressive effort by Arians.
Old 11-30-2009, 09:14 PM   #2
fordfan485
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 7210
Default Re: Don't Blame Arians' Play-Calling Against Baltimore

Bullshit, how hard is it to call a bootleg playaction pass with an option. Its not like it hasnt been around forever.

Last edited by HometownGal; 12-02-2009 at 10:00 AM. Reason: Please - no more F bombs.
Old 11-30-2009, 09:19 PM   #3
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 9,486 Times in 3,950 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaSteeler View Post
But in general Arians was calling play from a playbook designed for Roethlisberger--a veteran with two Super Bowl rings--with a second-year quarterback who had thrown one NFL pass.
kinda gotta call on this one. word is arians told dixon to pick out his 15 favorite plays. somebody has GOT to take accountability for the 3rd and long rb draw.

if dennis asked for this, this is where the coach steps up and says "im sorry son, but that play sucks. i mustve forgotten to rip it out of cowhers old playbook when i streamlined and trimmed it down 3 years ago."

if arians put it in, he should have realized that that is an old page from cowherball when they have a 15 point lead and that is has only been ran successfully 3 times since '92- once with eric pegram in '95 and twice by verron haynes in '03 and '04.

3 times in 1 freaking game. atleast fake it and run dennis up the middle or on an option. i guess that would look too much like "wildcat" for his liking and stir up controversy.
Old 11-30-2009, 09:27 PM   #4
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 5,735 Times in 2,135 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
kinda gotta call on this one. word is arians told dixon to pick out his 15 favorite plays. somebody has GOT to take accountability for the 3rd and long rb draw.

if dennis asked for this, this is where the coach steps up and says "im sorry son, but that play sucks. i mustve forgotten to rip it out of cowhers old playbook when i streamlined and trimmed it down 3 years ago."

if arians put it in, he should have realized that that is an old page from cowherball when they have a 15 point lead and that is has only been ran successfully 3 times since '92- once with eric pegram in '95 and twice by verron haynes in '03 and '04.

3 times in 1 freaking game. atleast fake it and run dennis up the middle or on an option. i guess that would look too much like "wildcat" for his liking and stir up controversy.
Ahh come on....
It was a great call, they just didn't execute.

Football 101

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Old 11-30-2009, 09:39 PM   #5
Steelerfreak58
Team Captain

Member Number: 8080

Defense played like crap and gave up huge plays. Gay was getting picked on and I don't know wtf Taylor was thinking last night.
Old 11-30-2009, 09:41 PM   #6
cubanstogie
Head Coach

Member Number: 3082

I am a pretty big Bruce Arians supporter but the last few drives really had me frustrated. Why were we constantly trying to throw it downfield. Dixon is not Ben, the offense needed to be tailored to Dixon. Dixon played well don't get me wrong, but we got outcoached in the second half. I liked the fact that we tried to run the ball, they had to respect that but the drop back pass plays with no boot leg with option was crazy. It was just a matter of time before Dixon made a mistake. You can't really blame him for the pic, you can't expect a guy starting his first game to make that read. The DE dropped into coverage and Dixon never saw him. I can't believe Dixon did not run more, no trick plays. We were not going to beat the Ravens with our 3rd sting QB without thinking outside the box. I don't blame BA for the loss, that was the worst tackling by a Steelers team I have ever seen.
Old 11-30-2009, 09:44 PM   #7
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,898 Times in 1,656 Posts

i wonder if since dixon is now the number 2, if they will put in plays just for him ? i don't buy into the whole, who are you gonna take off the field crap. the dude runs like a freakin deer...get him involved in the game plan. they're on the outside lookin in...what do they have to lose?
Old 11-30-2009, 09:48 PM   #8
Shellshock
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 14445

I remember a great LB stating "if the Offense gives 17 points we will win". The defence lost this game not BA
"

"
'
'
"
Old 11-30-2009, 09:55 PM   #9
tony hipchest

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACH1 View Post
Ahh come on....
It was a great call, they just didn't execute.

Football 101
funny how that play has been an epic fail in pittsburgh for almost 20 years and all of a sudden, someone thought a 2nd year qb getting his first real live game action was gonna execute it... you figure the 1st 2 failed attempts woulda been a clue.

taking a freaking knee woulda been smarter (and lost less yards).

also, isnt running willie parker every third series, putting moore in on every third and long, and using moore in the 2 minute drill getting a bit predictable? every other team scouts. do the steelers not self scout?

i know its a formula that has worked in the past, but the true formula is to stay ahead of the curve, and not become stale or bland.
Old 11-30-2009, 09:56 PM   #10
tony hipchest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellshock View Post
I remember a great LB stating "if the Offense gives 17 points we will win". The defence lost this game not BA
"

"
'
'
"
thats no excuse.

the team lost this game (and the 2 before). from the coaches all the way down the line.