Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 12-01-2009, 12:04 PM   #1
mwittman5
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 9332
Default tomlin expects ben to play sunday

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/12/01/toml...cending/page:2

Tomlin expects Roethlisberger to face Raiders

Posted: December 1st, 2009 | NFL.com Staff | Tags: Ben Roethlisberger, Mike Tomlin, Pittsburgh Steelers, Week 13 injuries

All the latest signs are pointing toward Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger returning from post-concussion symptoms and playing in Sunday’s game against the Raiders.

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said Tuesday Roethlisberger has not experienced additional discomfort as a result of the concussion since Friday. He said all indications are Roethlisberger will take part in full practice when the team returns on Wednesday.

“We’re not anticipating him having headaches this week,” Tomlin said. “But if he does, of course, we’ll act quickly.”

Tomlin ruled Roethlisberger out on Saturday after consulting with medical experts, who recommended Roethlisberger not play, forcing untested second-year backup Dennis Dixon into the starting role against the Ravens. Roethlisberger passed neurological tests early last week and had taken part in practices on Wednesday and Thursday, but began experiencing the headaches after working out on both days. When the issues did not subside, according to Tomlin, the final decision was made.

“I think the entire week Ben was prepared to and expecting to play,” Tomlin said. ”He realized he was experiencing some discomfort, he realized that was a part of the process. He had been through that before. But based on [the doctor's] suggestion, we did what we felt was appropriate. Whether he agreed with it or not was really irrelevant at that point. We had a game to play.”

Tomlin didn’t rule out the possibility the team could look at other quarterbacks this week depending on Roethlisberger’s status.

“As I sit here today, I’m comfortable with the three men that we have,” said Tomlin. “But that may change as soon as Wednesday, we’ll see.”

Tomlin added that injured backup Charlie Batch, who is sidelined with a broken left wrist, is on schedule and could return in a couple of weeks. The team’s only other active QB is Tyler Palko, who served as Dixon’s backup after signing with the Steelers last week.
Old 12-01-2009, 12:21 PM   #2
Steelers>NFL
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 15311
Default Re: tomlin expects ben to play sunday

Ben or no Ben, Steelers better "unleash hell" as promised...
Steelers>NFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 12:37 PM   #3
The_WARDen
Head Coach

Member Number: 7628

sounds like last week.
After reading the idiotic threads over the past couple of weeks, I ask the question - "Who is worse...Steeler fans or Eagles fans?" Keep in mind that Eagle fans do not know what it's like to win a SB much less 6 and 2 this decade.
The_WARDen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 01:13 PM   #4
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers>NFL View Post
Ben or no Ben, Steelers better "unleash hell" as promised...
That's going to be the true testament of the coaches the remainder of the regular season! Regardless of who plays or who sits, none of the remaining 5 games should be close.

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 03:47 PM   #5
truesteelerfan
Team Captain

Member Number: 11218
My Mood: Busy

Great last comment. If we play with the inspiration suggested by Tomlin, we Steeler fans should have our first stress free victories of the season for the next few games. As they say in the Remember the Titan movie.....Don't give up another yard! I want and hope for total domination.
truesteelerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 04:29 AM   #6
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,333 Times in 1,415 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

I just hope they get a fire lit under there asses this week. We need to get the motivation back and start lighting opponents up. Get back to some Steeler football.
Old 12-02-2009, 05:56 AM   #7
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...s_655793.html#

Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

Steelers' Big Ben on course to play Sunday

By Scott Brown
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, December 2, 2009

The Steelers have received a double dose of good news on the Ben Roethlisberger front.

The Steelers' quarterback didn't experience any headaches Monday after working out, and he is expected to return Sunday against the visiting Oakland Raiders.

Also, he and wide receiver Hines Ward have apparently resolved any issues that may have arisen when Ward told NBC that he has played with concussions in the past — and that Steelers players were divided over Roethlisberger not playing last Sunday in a 20-17 overtime loss to the Ravens.

Roethlisberger sustained a concussion Nov. 22, and coach Mike Tomlin held him out of the Ravens game following a recommendation by Dr. Joseph Maroon.

"I have been informed that those guys spoke extensively," Tomlin said Tuesday at his weekly news conference. "I spoke with Hines (Monday) night. It was a good, clean conversation. He assured me that this football team will be ready to prepare for and ultimately play Oakland."

Ward said as much on his Twitter page yesterday.

"I wanted to set the record straight with my fans first because the media will not get comments about this situation from me, it's resolved and we are focusing on Oakland and getting back on the right track," Ward wrote.

Ward's comments were made during an interview that aired prior to the Ravens game and was taped Saturday. He later said he spoke out because he was frustrated that Roethlisberger had practiced all week.

Tomlin made Roethlisberger the emergency quarterback Saturday following a meeting with Maroon and other Steelers medical personnel. Roethlisberger had passed a battery of tests following the third football-related concussion of his career, but he experienced exertion-induced headaches throughout the week.

Tomlin did not tell the other players his decision regarding Roethlisberger. He said yesterday he should have handled the situation differently.

"I think at times when you compete and have got to make decisions in a timely manner you proceed with assumptions, and assumptions at times can be a dangerous thing," Tomlin said. "Evidently in this case, it was. Not worried about it."

Tomlin said he is not concerned about a rift developing in the Steelers' locker room because of what Ward said on NBC's pregame show.

"Any time you get 53 men in a locker room, there's going to be disagreements and misunderstandings and miscommunications," Tomlin said. "I think it's highlighted by losing, and it becomes a story in times in the midst of losing. I tend to focus on the real root of our ills and that is searching for a winning formula. I think a win would solve a lot of issues."

Getting Roethlisberger back would help as the Steelers try to rediscover their winning ways, and Tomlin expects to have the sixth-year veteran available Sunday against the Raiders.

"We're not anticipating him having headaches this week, but if he does we'll act quickly," Tomlin said.

Scott Brown can be reached at sbrown@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 06:12 AM   #8
Rick5895
Team President

Member Number: 5148

IMO Ben should sit vs Raiders and vs Browns. Let the head and concussion fully heal. We have seen that DD is more than capable to fill in and played a good game despite difficult circumstances against the Ravens.
I don't take these next 2 games lightly but with Dixon more comfy with the offense after playing a game and playing well we might be better off long term as a team to do this. We should win both games. Remember we get a 10 day break after the Browns game. Going into the last 3 games 8-5 vs Packers, Ratbirds and Dolphins with a completely healthy Ben and Troy would almost insure we win out and get to the post season.
Rick5895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 07:55 AM   #9
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick5895 View Post
IMO Ben should sit vs Raiders and vs Browns. Let the head and concussion fully heal. We have seen that DD is more than capable to fill in and played a good game despite difficult circumstances against the Ravens.
I don't take these next 2 games lightly but with Dixon more comfy with the offense after playing a game and playing well we might be better off long term as a team to do this. We should win both games. Remember we get a 10 day break after the Browns game. Going into the last 3 games 8-5 vs Packers, Ratbirds and Dolphins with a completely healthy Ben and Troy would almost insure we win out and get to the post season.
I know the mantra is that you go with your best 11 on offense and defense if they are available, but all things considered, not a bad idea.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 08:00 AM   #10
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick5895 View Post
I like your suggestion, but if Ben is proclaimed "healthy" and headache free by week's end, we'll most likely see him in there against the Raiders.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote