Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Bucs

Old 12-01-2009, 06:09 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Ed Bouchette's Steelers chat transcript

Ed Bouchette's Steelers chat transcript
Tuesday, December 01, 2009
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Ed Bouchette: I'm a tad early today, mainly because it is December and I want to unleash the hell as soon as possible. Remember, this is now Redemption Tuesday. Let us begin ...

Aussie-Steeler: G'day from Melbourne Australia Ed! ... Who did we miss more last Sunday? Big Ben or Troy P? Given the yards given up in the secondary I'd say Troy P. ...

Ed Bouchette: I think that's been obvious. Dennis Dixon gave them a chance to win and the defense did not hold up its end.

Will_from_Freehold__NJ: Good Afternoon Ed! What's your take of what Hines Ward said about Big Ben? Is the locker room divided? Should Hines have kept his mouth shut? Did he throw Ben under the bus?

Ed Bouchette: More important than what he said has to be what he and the other players were thinking. Yes, I believe he spoke out in frustration. In my business, I NEVER advise anyone to keep their mouth shut.

HINES_WHINES: Whines Hard's reputation as the dirtiest player on the field has now been transferred to the locker room. How long before Mike Tomlin sits him down and explains who is more valuable to the team: #86 or #7? Without Ward, we have the same record, without Ben, we are done.

Ed Bouchette: I take issue with you that without Ward the Steelers would have the same record. And, if you think he's the dirtiest player on the field, what did you think of others such as Jack Lambert, Mel Blount, Joe Greene? Or is it the mere fact they were defensive players and were "permitted" to hit hard. Hines Ward is more valuable to this team -- and their two Super Bowl victories -- than you might think.

The_General: Hi Ed, What did you think of the play calling in overtime? I think a bootleg with a run/pass option may have been a better choice. What do you think?

Ed Bouchette: Well, it certainly would have been a better choice than an interception. But that is hindsight. I thought they did a good job on offense with Dixon at the last minute's notice. The offense did not lose that game Sunday.

Steelkings: How do you compare the depth of the current Steeler defense with the 2005 Steeler team?

Ed Bouchette: I have not given it much thought and would have to go back and look at the depth chart.

James_Taiwan: What do the Steelers need to do to get back on track?

Ed Bouchette: A victory, followed by another, and another, and another.

WyoBowhunter: Hi Ed, I was very disappointed in Hines, one of my favorite players by the way, in the way he dealt with the decision not to play Ben. How does this help the team?

Ed Bouchette: I do not know if it helps or hurts the team. After all, they had lost the two games before it with Ben Roethlisberger at quarterback and with Hines Ward NOT saying anything controversial.

Jacque_Strap: Is it true that the Steelers could have signed Darren Sharper this offseason, but Mike Tomlin advised him that he'd have more of a chance to play with the Saints?

Ed Bouchette: that's a new one on me.

Will_from_Freehold__NJ: Ed, how can ANYONE question Ben's toughness? In 2006 the man literally had his face smashed in that motorcycle accident, had an appendectomy before the season opener and played the NEXT GAME, got sacked 9 times against the Ravens in ONE GAME that year, sustained a concussion in Atlanta that same year and still started 15 games that year!! If he's "soft" then I want to be that soft!!

Ed Bouchette: I do not think Ward was questioning Ben's "toughness" in those statements, although others perceived otherwise.

steelmann58: HI Ed Do you see this as Coach LeBeau final season as The team DC

Ed Bouchette: I see no indication of that, but then I saw no indication that Dick Hoak would retire either.

Fresnosteel: Ed, recently other PG commentators have made much of Ward's recent comments regarding Ben, yet you have been largely silent on this matter, why is that?

Ed Bouchette: If you read me on PG Plus you would not think that way. I do not have quite the bit of attitude in the newspaper as I do in my blog or, as I call it, slog on PG Plus.

sticman: William Gay's play at corner is by far the worse I have seen in a long time. He can't cover, he can't tackle, he gets burned almost all the time! Are you telling me this is the best option they have? Wouldn't Townsend be an upgrade?

Ed Bouchette: I have to assume the coaches know what they're doing when judging that, because they want the best talent on the field so they can win and preserve their jobs. They drafted a corner in the third round and only recently has he begun dressing.

286williams: I like Ryan Clark a lot, but he has had 3 poorly played games in a row. He has dropped interceptions or failed to break up passes when the opportunity has arose. Do you think his play has diminished?

Ed Bouchette: I think he's missed some big plays and opportunities, yes.

Fresnosteel: Ed will we ever see two chats a week with you?

Ed Bouchette: Haven't I suffered enough?

Katmandu: My list of Steelers whose performance has not been "the standard" this season: William Gay, James Farrior, Matt Spaeth, Limas Sweed, Justin Hartwig, and Lawrence Timmons. Anyone you would add or delete from this?

Ed Bouchette: I would not necessarily agree with your list.

Ghost_of_Bobby_Walden: How do you rate the two newly signed special teamers on their body of work vs. the Ravens?

Ed Bouchette: Well, the Ravens did not return a kickoff for a touchdown, so I'd rate them an improvement.

Steeler_Curtain_Rising: Ed, has your reporting given you any insight into why they did not try to either run Dixon more or put him in situations (i.e. rollouts) where he could run if no one was open?

Ed Bouchette: I can only go on this with what MIke Tomlin said twice now, that the Ravens were ready for that (not quite so ready on the two long runs, though, eh?)

Steelers_Fan_Stuck_In_Ohio: What is the latest news on the injured players?

Ed Bouchette: It's mostly good news. Troy P. will be a few more weeks, likely Green Bay. Batch may miss the next two games. Chris K. has a shot at playing this week. No one else out, although Kirschke is sore and might be limited and Stefan Logan has rib cartilidge separation and might be limited, but Mike T. expects both to play.

Chooch79: Can Steeler Nation assume that Special Team's coach Ligashesky will soon be fired, based on Mike Tomlin's comment that the Steelers will "unleash hell" in December?

Ed Bouchette: No.

SteelHope: What does "unleash the hell here in December" mean? Have the players been holding back, the coaches or both?

Ed Bouchette: It's sort of like Redemption Sunday was in Baltimore.

Ghost_of_Bobby_Walden: Assuming that Ben returns this week, will Palko be cut this week so we can shore up other positions?

Ed Bouchette: Mike T. said today he believes all three QBs will stay on the roster.

STL_Steelers: Should we take it as a bad sign for Kraig Urbik that fellow rookie Ramon Foster is starting over him?

Ed Bouchette: Or, you could take it as a good sign that for Ramon Foster that his coach felt he played reasonably well in his first s tart.

Joe_KNUCKLES_McGuirk: Can 10-6 make it to the playoffs?

Ed Bouchette: Provided one of the 10 is a victory over Baltimore, yes.

Missing_Troy: Hi Ed, I was with you earlier that Ben was the MVP, but I have since changed my mind. I believe it is Troy. Your thoughts on when you think he will return. I don't think we would have lost the four games at the end with him in there.

Ed Bouchette: it is hard for me to pick an MVP based on his play in only three full games and one quarter in two others.

MWarren18: Ed, How do you interpret this quote? "We will unleash hell here in December because we have to. We won't go in a shell. We'll go into attack mode, because that's what's required."

Ed Bouchette: Mike said he got it from Russell Crowe from his favorite movie, The Gladiator. Or was that when Crowe unleashed the phone in that hotel lobby?
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 06:10 PM   #2
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Re: Ed Bouchette's Steelers chat transcript

Joe_KNUCKLES_McGuirk: How many Steeler fans were in the stadium Sunday nite? Just curious.

Ed Bouchette: 3,482 by my count, but those were only the ones who came dressed as Steelers fans. Truly, though, I saw one Steelers fan dressed not only in a Jerome Bettis shirt, but gold football pants as well with a gold terrible towel hanging from the belt. Now, this guy looked ready to unleash hell and I felt sorry for those who had to sit near him. Of course, he also came dressed with a full glass of beer in his right hand.

BruceAriansIsADemiGod: if the Steelers lose to Oak, the season is practically over. Do heads roll in the offseason, if so, whose?

Ed Bouchette: they may roll next week if they lose to Oakland, and you can take the "practically" out of it.

Bobby_Walden: Hi Ed, Did it look like the Ravens were just stronger than the Steelers to you ?

Ed Bouchette: They looked as though they were 3 points better in overtime.

Mocha_Joe: I thought that Santonio Holmes played his best game of the season. Agree?

Ed Bouchette: He started off strong and he did catch half of his touchdown passes this season in that one game.

Chookie_Malone: Do you anticipate another identity change on offense given Mendenhall's effectiveness against the Ravens or will we continue to throw it 35 times/game regardless of score?

Ed Bouchette: I suspect some sarcasm there. You've been reading my chats too long. I should turn the next half dozen questions over to you.

Joe_KNUCKLES_McGuirk: How much did the Ravens miss Suggs not playing?

Ed Bouchette: Thank you for bringing that up because people forget the other team has injuries too.

Robert39: It doesn't say much for the Ravens to almost lose to a 3rd string QB. Do you think it may happen that no wildcard comes from the AFC North?

Ed Bouchette: I think you will definitely see one, and perhaps two if Denver falters.

Will_from_Freehold__NJ: With the recent Bill Belichick fiasco of going for it on 4th down, we you surprised as I was that the Ravens went for it on 4th down at midfield? Wasn't the logical play to punt it and pin the Steelers deep and hope the Raven defense could make a stop?

Ed Bouchette: perhaps, if the game were tied, a punt would have been in order. Harbaugh sent the punt team out, his fans booed loudly, he called a time out and then went for it. I thought that was the better option than punting, myself.

Will_from_Freehold__NJ: Watching Ray Rice run around the field on Sunday brought back the nightmare of Maurice Jones-Drew vs. the Steelers circa 2007! Why does the Steelers defense have such a hard time with these diminutive RB's?

Ed Bouchette: It's not that they are just small, but good. It's not just the Steelers defense that has trouble against those two backs.

JimnBigD: Have you ever seen this organization mishandle a situation more poorly than Ben's concussion?

Ed Bouchette: Oh, my, yes.

JimnBigD: Any chance Charlie Weis is the Steelers' offensive coordinator in 2010?

Ed Bouchette: Knute Rockne has a better chance of getting that job.

Steelkings: Did someone have to explain to Bob Smizik what Facebook was? And are you too, one of Hines Ward's Facebook Friends?

Ed Bouchette: I talk to Hines directly, not through Facebook because then I know I am really addressing Hines and not someone who pretends to be Hines Ward.

WyoBowhunter: Are the Steelers playoff chances virtually dead at this point, a lot of teams with similar records lost this weekend.

Ed Bouchette: Dead? Were we dead when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

farrior_fan: Wouldn't it be worth at least taking one conservative shot at getting into FG range before the end of the 1st half instead of just running the clock out?

Ed Bouchette: I actually wish they would do more of that at the end of the first half.

steelmann58: Hi Ed Do you find it sad that Troy being out for almost 7 games still leads this team in Interceptions. It speaks a lot for lack of playmakers.

Ed Bouchette: Indeed, it does. Rookie linebacker Paul Kruger of the Baltimore Ravens had more interceptions in overtime on Sunday than Steelers cornerbacks have combined all season.

strebman: Historically the Steelers have finished strong and since 2002 are 24-9 in the regular season in the months of December and January. However their worst year was 2007 when they went 2-3 and fell apart down the stretch. Is it possible to win out and make the playoffs? Even if we win out, Baltimore holds the tiebreaker over us due to a better conference record.

Ed Bouchette: If the Steelers win out, the best the Ravens can do is finish one game behind them.

Chooch79: How many email suggestions did you get about replacing BA with Charlie Weis since yesterday?

Ed Bouchette: Two, if this one counts.

Joe_from_Charlotte: Stats don't lie. Troy has been out for most of our losses. Will we see him against Oakland?

Ed Bouchette: No, I think Green Bay is now the target date.

2009_Isn_t_2005: Ed, are the Steelers secondary and LB's practicing Tackling 101 this week?

Ed Bouchette: They're now working on the second semester class, 102.

OKSteelerfan: So is this year starting to smell like the 8-8 season after our 2005 Superbowl year? What differences do you see?

Ed Bouchette: That team started out 2-6 and this one 6-2, which is why they still have a chance while the other team's chances were shot by midseason.

Joe_KNUCKLES_McGuirk: Do you sleep in a hyperbaric chamber like Hines Ward, to keep yourself focused, and your wit razor sharp?

Ed Bouchette: Sleep? What is sleep? With my blog, and my chats, and my videos, and my daily questions and those old-fashioned newspaper stories? who has time to sleep? (Actually, I do take 40 winks during these chat sessions).

SqrHillStan: Do you think anyone can stop the Saints? They dismantled NE last night.

Ed Bouchette: They are looking like the '07 Patriots.

Bobby_Walden: Hi Ed, Do you think Mike T. has learned a valuable lesson about running a flag football camp ?

Ed Bouchette: I think that is a convenient excuse, just as the defense is getting old is an excuse or as some people are now suggesting, the fact they did not sign Casey Hampton and Ryan Clark to contract extensions. If that was such an easy camp, how did they start out 6-2?

black_gold: My experience is that coach's take the blame when their teams are not that good or on the verge of cracking. Is that what's happened the past 2 weeks?

Ed Bouchette: Yes, and coaches should take the blame for losing. They certainly get the credit when they win.

T22POST: Ed, Is this whole thing with Hines getting blown out of proportion by the media? Our locker room has always been good about keeping issues in house. Thoughts?

Ed Bouchette: when I start player, especially a receiver, says those things about his star quarterback, especially in a place like Pittsburgh where you rarely here those things, I don't think we can blow it into proportion enough.

MWarren18: Ed, do you think Dennis Dixon could be a trade chip after his performance the other night?

Ed Bouchette: No. I've seen that written. Who would you put in if Ben were hurt? Also, one game completing 12 of 26 passes with a 60.6 passer rating in a loss that was directly caused by your interception does not make you an overnight sensation or valuable trade bait.

ch3: Ed, so it's ok for Belichick to leave Brady in the game when they are up by 30 points, but when they are losing by 21 with 5 minutes left, Brady sits?

Ed Bouchette: It's OK with me.

steelforce43: Why is everyone making a big deal that Ben sat out? Maybe they should check and see what happened to Brain Westbrook when he came back too early.

Ed Bouchette: he sat out but only because they did not need him. Mike T said he would have played if the other two were hurt. Is there a mixed signal there?

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09335...#ixzz0YU8V3JGi
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 07:12 PM   #3
slippy
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 5848

i've been reading ed for years, but he's such an unhelpful, ironic, sourpuss most of the time. yeah, i really want to pay for PG Plus so i can read even more of his snarky non-answers.

hey ed, if it's so painful for you to get paid to write about the steelers why don't you get your old job back at the indiana gazette and write about junior high school soccer!

that said, i still read the chats as soon as they're posted at 2:30 on tuesdays.
slippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 10:03 PM   #4
austinfrench76
Head Coach

Member Number: 3516

So true and funny!!!!
austinfrench76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 10:09 PM   #5
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Thanked 1,050 Times in 393 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slippy View Post
i've been reading ed for years, but he's such an unhelpful, ironic, sourpuss most of the time.
Not to mention a gossip. Bullchitte would fit right in with any senior ladies' sewing circle or bridge club.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 10:11 PM   #6
steel striker
Banned

Member Number: 7251

I have been reading Ed's column for a few years and, he seems to stir the pot up from time to time.
steel striker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 10:43 PM   #7
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,779 Times in 1,614 Posts

Quote:
Ed Bouchette: I suspect some sarcasm there. You've been reading my chats too long. I should turn the next half dozen questions over to you.
he might as well hand it over to someone else... he doesn't answer 95 % OF THE QUESTIONS. i don't know if doing the chat is in his contract or what, but he sure doesn't seem to want to do it. i'm done wasting my time reading them.
MasterOfPuppets is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 03:59 AM   #8
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,412 Times in 1,440 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
he might as well hand it over to someone else... he doesn't answer 95 % OF THE QUESTIONS. i don't know if doing the chat is in his contract or what, but he sure doesn't seem to want to do it. i'm done wasting my time reading them.
It does seem like he dodges alot of questions instead of answering them.
Old 12-02-2009, 09:08 AM   #9
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

Ed Bouchette: Well, it certainly would have been a better choice than an interception. But that is hindsight. I thought they did a good job on offense with Dixon at the last minute's notice. The offense did not lose that game Sunday.

JimnBigD: Any chance Charlie Weis is the Steelers' offensive coordinator in 2010?

Ed Bouchette: Knute Rockne has a better chance of getting that job.
Old 12-02-2009, 10:11 AM   #10
SteelMember
Team Owner

Member Number: 8745

farrior_fan: Wouldn't it be worth at least taking one conservative shot at getting into FG range before the end of the 1st half instead of just running the clock out?

Ed Bouchette: I actually wish they would do more of that at the end of the first half.

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll
SteelMember is offline   Reply With Quote