Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 12-02-2009, 09:52 AM   #1
supa_fly_steeler
Banned

Member Number: 15332
Default Ike Taylor! Overrated, Inconsistent or Underperforming

Everyone is moaning at William Gay, the number 2 corner on the team, but the number 1 corner hasn't done atlot better this year, infact he's probably played better than Ike these past few matches, Ike is getting beat deep in coverage by retired veterans and fast not speedy guys like Sidney Rice, i haven't seen William Gay been beat deep this year.

Speed isn't everything you need as a corner, and it seems that is all what Ike had this year, i have never heard of a number 1 corner without an interception, when i go through all the teams they have at least 1 or more, i know the way we defend and give them space, but interceptions often reflect a corners year.

Ike has most of the tools to become a great corner but he just isn't performing well this year. He has been tackling well but that is where most blind dumbass people come in and say william gay or ike taylor/both have been missing tackles, i have watched every steeler football match, and they both make tackle well, rarely miss. William Gay might of been trucked 1 play, 1 play does not make 1000 plays over the season. Same with Ike if he misses a tackle, 80%+ of the time they make them, sometimes even behind the line of scrimmage on screen plays.

Let's not forget it is William Gays first full year as a starter, and when your a Steeler alot is expected, let's not forget that and think he is our Cornerback who is the Messiah who will take us the promised land each game. Gradually i do think he will be good, even better than Ike Taylor why? Because he can intercept.

People have to remember that on the enemy line of scrimmage there are some decent or great proffessional atheletes that will outsmart our defence, we are not invincible and will not deliver a shutout each game or a Super Bowl each year.

I've heard comments on many forums asking for Joe Burnett and Keenan Lewis to replace both our corners, i just thank God each day they do not own the team.

I do think Ike is not Overated, but Underperforming this year, it seems without Polamalu our defence in coverage is cripple and understandable, take Drew Brees off the New Orleans Saints and they become shit all round.

What are your opinions this year? Underperforming is my opinion.

May i just remind some people, i asked how William Gay and Lawrence Timmons have done so far, this was before we started the 3 game loss streak, as soon as we lose a game heads turn, and fans turn on players. Some fans were kissing Gays ass in this thread and now are directly calling him the shittest corner in the league.
http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=41869

Sorry if you find this as a stupid thread, it's kind of mixed feelings for me, i am defending the corners but showing what areas they have been poor in.
supa_fly_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 09:57 AM   #2
eafratitpm3
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 1192
Default Re: Ike Taylor! Overated, Inconsistent or Underperforming

Quote:
Originally Posted by supa_fly_steeler View Post
Everyone is moaning at William Gay, the number 2 corner on the team, but the number 1 corner hasn't done atlot better this year, infact he's probably played better than Ike these past few matches, Ike is getting beat deep in coverage by retired veterans and fast not speedy guys like Sidney Rice, i haven't seen William Gay been beat deep this year.

Speed isn't everything you need as a corner, and it seems that is all what Ike had this year, i have never heard of a number 1 corner without an interception, when i go through all the teams they have at least 1 or more, i know the way we defend and give them space, but interceptions often reflect a corners year.

Ike has most of the tools to become a great corner but he just isn't performing well this year. He has been tackling well but that is where most blind dumbass people come in and say william gay or ike taylor/both have been missing tackles, i have watched every steeler football match, and they both make tackle well, rarely miss. William Gay might of been trucked 1 play, 1 play does not make 1000 plays over the season. Same with Ike if he misses a tackle, 80%+ of the time they make them, sometimes even behind the line of scrimmage on screen plays.

Let's not forget it is William Gays first full year as a starter, and when your a Steeler alot is expected, let's not forget that and think he is our Cornerback who is the Messiah who will take us the promised land each game. Gradually i do think he will be good, even better than Ike Taylor why? Because he can intercept.

People have to remember that on the enemy line of scrimmage there are some decent or great proffessional atheletes that will outsmart our defence, we are not invincible and will deliver a shutout each game.

I've heard comments on many forums asking for Joe Burnett and Keenan Lewis to replace both our corners, i just thank God each day they do not own out team.

I do think Ike is not Overated, but Underperforming this year, it seems without Polamalu our defence in coverage is cripple and understandable, take Drew Brees off the New Orleans Saints and they become shit all round.

May i just remind some people, i asked how William Gay and Lawrence Timmons have done so far, this was before we started the 3 game loss streak, as soon as we lose a game heads turn, and fans turn on players. Some fans were kissing Gays ass in this thread and now are directly calling him the shittest corner in the league.

Sorry if you find this as a stupid thread, it's kind of mixed feelings for me, i am defending the corners but showing what areas they have been poor in.
Here is a post of mine from another thread:
As I've posted numerous times Ike Taylor is way overrated. I laugh at how many Steeler fans say he's a great shut down corner. He never get's his head around when running down the field with a receiver and most of the time when a ball is thrown to the receiver that he is covering it is either off the mark or the receiver drops it and Ike acts like he made the play. If he was a true shut down corner why does he play 10-12 yards off the receiver. Granted when Troy is out he is the best we have in the secondary and that's not saying much.
eafratitpm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 10:00 AM   #3
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

Ike is like any other player. He's the greatest during the 98% of the time he performs his job well (with the exception that he has stone hands....but if he didn't, he could play WR), and a completely useless piece of garbage who needs to be cut or traded to the fans on the 2% of the time he makes mistakes or fails.

He had a bad game. That's all.
Old 12-02-2009, 10:07 AM   #4
devilsdancefloor
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 10172

Quote:
Originally Posted by eafratitpm3 View Post
As I've posted numerous times Ike Taylor is way overrated. I laugh at how many Steeler fans say he's a great shut down corner. He never get's his head around when running down the field with a receiver and most of the time when a ball is thrown to the receiver that he is covering it is either off the mark or the receiver drops it and Ike acts like he made the play. If he was a true shut down corner why does he play 10-12 yards off the receiver. Granted when Troy is out he is the best we have in the secondary and that's not saying much.
i actually seen him in masons grill most of the night so he wasnt giving that big cushion. Ike had a bad game it happens. for the most part the steelers secondary is playing like pooh and i am not talking about winnie either. So saying oh it is gays fault or taylors fault or whomever else in our secondary it is their collective fault. safeties need to be in good positions and they are NOT. the blame falls on ALL of them. But i have the faith that they will turn it around

I believe that today more than ever a book should be sought after even if it has only one great page in it. We must search for fragments, splinters, toenails, anything that has ore in it, anything that is capable of resuscitating the body and the soul.

devilsdancefloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 10:18 AM   #5
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 12999
Thanked 1,729 Times in 702 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by supa_fly_steeler View Post

People have to remember that on the enemy line of scrimmage there are some decent or great proffessional atheletes that will outsmart our defence, we are not invincible and will not deliver a shutout each game or a Super Bowl each year.

I've heard comments on many forums asking for Joe Burnett and Keenan Lewis to replace both our corners, i just thank God each day they do not own the team.

I only had to read the title and STOPPED there. In my opinion, Ike Taylor is an ALL-PRO and the only reason the man doesn't make it is because he simply can't catch a BALL for his life and we all know things of that nature are measured by stats and interceptions alone. Still, you can't deny his performances and is possibly one of the best shut down corners of the game today and has been blanketing teams top receivers for years now. Taylor is Pro Bowl status.

So Ike had one bad game, big deal. He was in position each time. To my understanding, it's Willie Gay the one that teams are picking on. If Ike could catch a ball, He'd be on the same level as Revis or Baily.
Old 12-02-2009, 10:23 AM   #6
supa_fly_steeler
Banned

Member Number: 15332

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessStill View Post
I only had to read the title and STOPPED there. In my opinion, Ike Taylor is an ALL-PRO and the only reason the man doesn't make it is because he simply can't catch a BALL for his life and we all know things of that nature are measured by stats and interceptions alone. Still, you can't deny his performances and is possibly one of the best shut down corners of the game today and have been blanketing teams top receivers for years no. Pro Bowl status.

So Ike had one bad game, big deal. He was in position each time. To my understanding, it's Willie Gay the one that teams are picking on. If Ike could catch a ball, He'd be on the same level as Revis or Baily.
I'm not hating on Taylor, They might pick on Gay because he is the new guy learning Lebeau's massive playbook, He had a bad game in Baltimore but all the hate is to Gay and not Ike, i have never seen a #1 reciever who cant catch for shit, he hasn't had just 1 bad game this year, he didn't have a good game against Tennessee, Minnesota, Baltimore and Cincinnati away.

William Gay hasn't surrendered a touchdown yet, Ike has surrendered all the cornerback touchdowns to lead me to him being underperforming, whenever Flacco was in the redzone or in territory he went taylors side of the ball, but in his own half he went to Gay.

I love Ike but i'm just stating that both are good, but having bad years and hopefully can unleash hell in the remaining games of the season and hopefully the post season.
supa_fly_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 10:32 AM   #7
scsteeler
Team Captain

Member Number: 8491

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
Ike is like any other player. He's the greatest during the 98% of the time he performs his job well (with the exception that he has stone hands....but if he didn't, he could play WR), and a completely useless piece of garbage who needs to be cut or traded to the fans on the 2% of the time he makes mistakes or fails.

He had a bad game. That's all.

scsteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 10:37 AM   #8
Steelillini
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 2040

I think Ike has a Super Bowl hangover as most of the team. Remember that after the 05 season he got benched that next year. I think the whole team is complacent and as much as they said it wouldn't happen again it has. It is human nature........
Steelillini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 11:02 AM   #9
BlastFurnace
Living Legend

Member Number: 6321

If Ike could catch, fans would view his performance much differently. He's a solid corner.

On the other hand, William Gay.......hopefully, will return to nickel back next season.
BlastFurnace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 11:22 AM   #10
SteelStang
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 11792

Quote:
Originally Posted by eafratitpm3 View Post
Dead on accurate! I also love these posts that say 'the only thing keeping him from being All-Pro is that he can't catch.' Well, if you look at the DB's who are consistently all-pro, they usually have a lot of picks so until he catches the ball it isn't going to happen.