Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 12-03-2009, 11:44 PM   #1
Shoes
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 6382
Default Arians, Steelers will pass on Wildcat offense

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...24.html?feed=9

Earlier this week, Steelers coach Mike Tomlin left open the possibility of quarterback Dennis Dixon seeing spot duty even after Ben Roethlisberger returns to the starting lineup.

When asked about that chance Thursday, offensive coordinator Bruce Arians said, "Absolutely zero because he's the backup, and we only have two in there."

Arians said the Steelers don't want the fleet-footed Dixon running the ball in sub packages such as the Wildcat for the same reasons he stated during training camp: it is took risky for the 6-foot-3, 209-pounder.

"He's an extremely good talent as far as speed, and when a play breaks down and he can improvise, that's when he'll be dangerous," Arians said of Dixon. "But if you start designing runs for a quarterback, especially one of his stature, he's going to get broken in half."

Dixon scored on a 24-yard run in his first NFL start last Sunday.

The fourth-quarter play, Arians said, was designed to be a pass to Mewelde Moore. Dixon kept the ball following a fake handoff to wide receiver Mike Wallace since he had a clear path to the end zone.

Arians said there were no designed runs for Dixon in the Ravens' game because of the risk of an injury, especially with Tyler Palko as the only healthy quarterback behind Dixon.

Arians said he did not limit Dixon much against the Ravens because of the faith he has in the second-year man.

"I felt extremely confident that we were going to win that ballgame the other night with Dennis, and we should have," Arians said.
Shoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 03:22 AM   #2
lambertlunaticfan
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 10642
Default Re: Arians, Steelers will pass on Wildcat offense

I hope this is true what arians said as i hate that "wildcat" scheme.It's the worse formation that has even been in the nfl.I mean why not get all the high school playbook and use them.Let's see more of that old statue of liberty play.Just all bush league play to me.I mean it's just stubid to use a trick play as your regular offense is a joke.That's the best you got is a trick play.And i have no idea how it works as it does.Let's see it's a running back and not a qb,maybe he will run,what do you know he is running.One darn team used this and now every team uses it.I am just hoping the steelers will be the one team that does not have to resort to a trick play to be thier offense.
lambertlunaticfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 03:42 AM   #3
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,030 Times in 1,277 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

He might just be a saying that who knows you might see it just to catch the defense off guard.
Old 12-04-2009, 06:06 AM   #4
wootawnee
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 4530

I am tired of this dude....He is a negative nancy....This quote proves it: "But if you start designing runs for a quarterback, especially one of his stature, he's going to get broken in half."......D.D. is not any smaller than Tone............You can't be like that on the offensive side of the ball.....All the great plays of the past are like spaceships from the universe........Positive thinking........Unless you are Earl Campbell plowing people over.....But then when he got old he could't walk.....But that is another story........We need someone with a cooler head, cause this guy gets too flustered.........If he starts playing up to potential then cool......But he is getting way too flustered to coach for the Pittsburgh Steelers....He looks like a coach from Cleveland or something......
Old 12-04-2009, 06:51 AM   #5
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Personally, I'm not a fan of the wildcat and I'm glad the Steelers aren't going to use it this week. We have enough talent on the O that we don't need none of that "hocus pocus".

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 07:05 AM   #6
Spidey
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 2758

Why the heck would Arians want to use any plays that might confuse a Defense?
Spidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 08:23 AM   #7
BleedBlacknGold0
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 7140

How is a designed run for a QB anymore dangerous than a designed run for a RB of the same size? and theres many smaller than 6'3" 210 LBS.

I don't really like the wildcat but it would be fun to see Ben and Dennis Dixon back there at the same time. Even if DD was just a decoy it could help throw a wrinkle out there.
BleedBlacknGold0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 08:25 AM   #8
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 08:28 AM   #9
BleedBlacknGold0
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 7140

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
Arians said there were no designed runs for Dixon in the Ravens' game because of the risk of an injury, especially with Tyler Palko as the only healthy quarterback behind Dixon.

Arians said he did not limit Dixon much against the Ravens because of the faith he has in the second-year man.
This part really bothers me too. I hate when people play not to get injured. I understand that he was the only QB per say but you cant take away somebody's #1 skill. Thats like not throwing to Randy Moss because his fingers may get hurt.

Then right after the comment about basically limiting DD, he says he did not limit him.

I hate to be so negative about BA it gets frustrating.
BleedBlacknGold0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 09:02 AM   #10
Texasteel
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 8323

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBlacknGold0 View Post
This part really bothers me too. I hate when people play not to get injured. I understand that he was the only QB per say but you cant take away somebody's #1 skill. Thats like not throwing to Randy Moss because his fingers may get hurt.

Then right after the comment about basically limiting DD, he says he did not limit him.

I hate to be so negative about BA it gets frustrating.
Randy Moss is a WR. Catching passes is what he does. Dixon is a QB. His primary function is not to run with the ball. I can understand why the coaching staff does not want to make Dixon into RB. That stuff works fine in collage but I don't think it does that well in the pros. Vince Young didn't do much at all until they got him to stay in the pocket and play the QB position.

Simply, The Chief.
Texasteel is offline   Reply With Quote