Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 12-07-2009, 09:50 AM   #11
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353
Default Re: Gay being targeted? Think again

Our defense is very complicated...we blitz a TON, and when we blitz, we often leave our CB's exposed, which is why they get paid the big bucks.

I'd actually like to see some more stats before I leap to conclusions about THIS stat. How many times do the Steelers blitz in comparison to other teams? Are there numbers with and without Troy playing safety?

Doesn't it seem odd that all of a sudden Ike Taylor sucks? I've seen the numbers form previous years that show just the OPPOSITE of what these stats are showing. So what happened? What's different?
Old 12-07-2009, 10:22 AM   #12
BlastFurnace
Living Legend

Member Number: 6321

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
Our defense is very complicated...we blitz a TON, and when we blitz, we often leave our CB's exposed, which is why they get paid the big bucks.

I'd actually like to see some more stats before I leap to conclusions about THIS stat. How many times do the Steelers blitz in comparison to other teams? Are there numbers with and without Troy playing safety?

Doesn't it seem odd that all of a sudden Ike Taylor sucks? I've seen the numbers form previous years that show just the OPPOSITE of what these stats are showing. So what happened? What's different?
I think what happened is losing Troy. Other than he and Harrison, there are no playmakers on this defense...especially in the secondary.

Honestly, why wouldn't you throw at Ike. For most CB's 2 out of 3 things can happen that are bad (Incomplete or INT). With Ike, it's only 1 (Incomplete) because you know he isn't going to catch it. Why not take your chances.
BlastFurnace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 12:01 PM   #13
MT83
Water Boy

Member Number: 15444

Do any of those statistics include missed tackles, because I'm pretty sure Gay would top that list.
MT83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 12:14 PM   #14
BlastFurnace
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
Could be that Gay really ISN'T ready yet, and that it's messing up the entire secondary. Well, that plus Troy being gone.

Same thing happened last year with Colon and Stapleton. Colon didn't suck on his own, but put him next to a guy who sucked, and they both did badly.

Same thing could be happening with McFadden this year in Arizona. Put him next to Taylor, and the two reasonably competent guys do well together. Put him on a shitty Cardinals defense, and his performance suffers, and we all go, "well look at him NOW, we don't miss him."
McFadden has Cromartie on the opposite side, who isn't too shabby. But...their safeties...Rolle and Wilson...are both studs. Personally, I think BMAC is light years better than Gay. Before BMAC was hurt, he was playing a pretty darned good corner for us.
Old 12-07-2009, 12:34 PM   #15
Tone's Toes
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 14418

At least Ike is getting torched by #1 WR's. Gay is getting torched by nobody's at times. Both haven't played well, though.
Tone's Toes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 12:47 PM   #16
BlastFurnace
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone's Toes View Post
At least Ike is getting torched by #1 WR's. Gay is getting torched by nobody's at times. Both haven't played well, though.
The guy who took it to Ike yesterday was a rookie WR from Florida.
Old 12-07-2009, 02:35 PM   #17
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlastFurnace View Post
The guy who took it to Ike yesterday was a rookie WR from Florida.
That was broken coverage. Ike's responsibility was the outside, and he had no inside support. If there wasn't SUPPOSED to be safety coverage over the middle then he made a mental error, but neither scenario suggest that Ike got "burnt".

It checkers, not chess.

Anyway, that doesn't excuse it. We didn't have rookies on the field and either Clark or Carter should have been in support.
Old 12-07-2009, 02:36 PM   #18
pepsyman1
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 10824
Angry Re: Gay being targeted? Think again

I was able to make it out to the game yesterday (once a year trip out from South Jersey) and I'll tell you....William Gay was a disappointment to watch live. I watched him give up three sizable pass plays in the first half that he either got badly turned around by the receiver or simply FELL down. His coverage was poor most of the game. I didn't see a single pass play that Gay looked to be in good position to defend it (I know our corners play off, so that's rare), but he usually played SO far off that he's totally out of the play from the moment the receiver makes his first cut.

Ike, really looked no better in coverage. Many of the same issues...rarely in position to knock a pass away. Frequently slow to turn and sight the ball on longer passes.

Having had a chance to watch our secondary live and be able to see the whole field, it was incredibly disheartening to see the huge gaps we have in our zone coverage. There were multiple plays during the 4th quarter that the Raiders went max protection and only had THREE receivers downfield and we were totally unable to cover them. As badly as they we're making our corners look, you'd swear we were blitzing with 8 guys in the box every play. Just ugly to watch.
pepsyman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 03:15 PM   #19
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Quote:
On that particular play, it looked like Clark had to drop what he was doing to go pick up a receiver over the middle who nobody bothered to cover. I'm not sure whether that's his fault for overreacting, or someone else's fault because they were supposed to be protecting the middle. But in any case, some kind of miscommunication left that other receiver wide open with nobody within 20 yards if Clark hadn't come up. That was a pretty piss-poor job on our part, and I don't think you can blame it all on Taylor.

Gay has just been tremendously disappointing this year. Maybe he covers well 80% of the time, but when he makes mistakes, they're bad, bad mistakes that really hurt us. I think that's the main difference between him and McFadden/Townsend.
That's the bad. Here's the WORSE. People want untested inexperienced players to come in and fill those shoes at CB, as if people who SOMETIMES miss assignments being replaced with kids who will almost certainly ROUTINELY miss assignments will somehow improve the situation.

There's more. It's obvious that we can take chances with troy back there that we otherwise could not. Teams are finding that out. But what would we do if Troy were gone?
Old 12-07-2009, 04:24 PM   #20
xbroughneck
Team Captain

Member Number: 5743

Quote:

And yeah, while I don't think McFadden was worth a giant contract, at this point I've got to believe he's still a better corner than Gay. We just didn't have a very good choice -- pay too much for McFadden, or take our chances with an unproven guy. Oh well.

Makes me wonder, though, exactly what good it did to clear out that spare $4-$6 million in cap room that's still sitting there this year.
My only real concern right now is not Gay (even though I think McFadden would have been better in this system). It's CARTER.

While I feel that GAY at times plays soft, I've seen him make a few good plays here and there, and generally he won't get beat deep (because he tends to play off).

The real problem lies in the lack of speed that Carter has. At the safety spot, without Troy back there, we have two safeties in Clark and Carter, that don't defense the pass very well.

I'm not saying I'm right, but I think Gay is only part of the problem in our secondary.

I hope our rookies get a lot of playing time this Thursday.