Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 01-26-2006, 05:08 PM   #1
seahawksfan
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 1328
Default What Are Your Game X-factors?

Hey Steeler fans,

Ok, I've been thinking about all the what if's and various takes on the game. What I want us to look at is the one or two "x-factors" that you believe will be KEY to the game. Here are a few of mine:
  1. Polamalu is huge in this game. He'll play as a LB that drops into the Safety position. Then he's a Safety that moves up to LB. He is one of the 5 top defensive players in the league. Somehow we have to neutralize him. I glad we have Holmgren and Haskell working the scheme.
  2. Hasselbeck reading the 3-4 blitz. One of the things that has impressed me the most over the last few years is how well he has learned to read the defense. Key here will be how he picks up not the 4th guy but the 5th guy. He is astonishingly quick at reading and adjusting to defensive schemes. Guys, trust me when I say you will shake your head during the game asking yourselves "how did he just do that?"
  3. Seahawk offense line is the best in the NFL. The Steeler defense is arguably playing the best D coming into the game. I'm counting on the O-line giving Matt enough time to make his adjustments in the pocket and then, if necessary, he can scramble to make the play. Again Steeler fans, he will surprise you with his reads and mobility.

Ok, your turn. Let the ments begin.

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin
seahawksfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 05:13 PM   #2
plark
Water Boy

Member Number: 1250
Default Re: What Are Your Game X-factors?

1.Big ben has to be accurate and consistant
2.The Flying Hawaiian gotta be everywhere especially on seattle's runs
3.Defense has to put pressure on hasselback, he isn't as good as everyone says he is, quite frankly I say he's one of the most overrated quarterbacks.

7 + 86 x 43 = Super Bowl
plark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 05:15 PM   #3
lotas
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 1176

1.) Containing Alexander early. I think it's obviously pretty obvious, but if Alexander can come out running on us, it is going to be a terrible sign. It will probably lower the flame and fire of the defense, as very few backs have run on us lately, with any success. If he gets off to a hot start and Hasselback's job is handing off the football, we are going to have to find a way to stop him, and stop him fast.

2.) Young defense/linebacker. This could make or break the defense, but for some reason I see the young linebacker or defensive player trying to make a big play and come up with a big interception or something, obviously that is either gonna result in a big play for Pit, or a big play for Sea.

3.) Ben getting into rhythm. I think it will be huge to avoid 3-and-outs on the first couple drives. We wanna get some points on the board early, to give a little cushion and to establish an offense. Even if we are running sucessfully we might have those critical 3rd and 5's and 4's in which Ben is gonna have to be on target. If he is, we should be driving down with no problem. If the running game is stalled or they are not getting the calls then I'm looking for Ben to hit Miller and Wilson for some big plays, while Hines will come up with some solid 3rd down catches.
lotas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 05:23 PM   #4
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302

We can and will run on this small defense! Then Ben will go nuts!
Old 01-26-2006, 05:37 PM   #5
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

Normally I would get into detail but to be honest, I really only have one factor.

Stop Alexander, stop the Seahawks...........hey, did I tell everyone that they are from the Great Nor....ahh, nevermind.

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 01-26-2006 at 05:41 PM.
83-Steelers-43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 05:38 PM   #6
43Hitman
BACON!!
Supporter

Member Number: 1251
My Mood: Cool

1) I think the coaching adjustments are the biggest X-factor. Generally speaking, the Steelers first time on defense is no indicator on how the rest of the game goes. Look for Lebeu to make his adjustment after Holmgren's 15 play script.

2) Our ability to run the ball early when Seattle has only 7 men in the box. They tend to pride themselves on being able to stop the run with 7. We should exploit this.

3) Ben on third downs. His recent play on third downs has been the difference in my opinion. If he continues to make the good read on third down our chances are greatly increased.

4) Special Teams. Randel El has to contribute here, and I think he will. Giving our offense a shorter field bodes well for the running game. Also the punt unit's ability to pin the opposing offense is paramount. This was huge in the Denver game.
43Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 05:41 PM   #7
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Member Number: 70

The 3-4 was devised way back in the 80s by **** lebeau with a key purpose being to combat the then newly designed west coast offense at the time. It's gonna be a chess match beyond all chess matches. Lebeau and Blitzburgh against Matt Hasselback and the seahawk offense.

Ben needs to be smart with his passes and get hot fast to keep the defensive pass rush down and keep that extra guy from coming up to stop the run.

We need to establish the running game atleast somewhat in the first half no matter how much we throw to loosen up the secondary and the LB's.

Steelers defense needs to be gap sound to contain Alexander and allow Troy to flow to the play and make alot of tackles.
BlitzburghRockCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 05:50 PM   #8
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591

I think the whole game comes down to the Steelers executing LeBeau's game plan. He has 2 weeks to work with all the Seattle film, and I think he'll have a master game plan in place.
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 05:54 PM   #9
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

1. Getting a quick lead.I don't care if it's our offense or our defense that scores,but we need to jump out to an early lead like we did against Indy & Denver.If we build a 14-21 point lead,it will take Shaun Alexander out of the game,forcing the Seahawks to pass the ball to catch up.

2. Big Ben's consistant play.If he keeps playing like he has this entire playoff/Super Bowl run,we'll be in very good hands.If he isn't making the reads and the smart throws,we could be in for a long day.

3. Third down conversions,on both defense and offense.In the playoff/Super Bowl run,we have done a good job of converting third downs.Our defense has also been good at getting off the field on third downs.If we keep this up,we'll basicly have the game on lock.

4. Quarterback Pressure.We must keep pressuring the QB like we have been.Make Hasselbeck fear the rush.Make him feel the heat and get rid of the ball quickly.Knock him down,talk some trash in his ear,make him think about our rush more than he should be.

5. Troy Polamalu's big play.Troy has been playing on fire,making great plays on the ball.He must keep this up.

6. Stop Shaun Alexander.If we don't jump out to a quick lead,we must make Shaun Alexander's day a rough one.We can't let them control the clock and keep us off the field.It's something the Seahawks are good at,and if we let them do it,we can easily lose this game.

7. Control the clock.We must control the clock with our run offense after we build a lead.The Seahawks are a team that can quickly get back into the game if you give thier offense enough time on the field.The best way to do that is to keep your offense on the feild.

8. Antwaan Randle El.This guy is the x-factor in our offense.He's got speed & he's got moves.He can run the ball on the reverse,or throw a long bomb for a touchdown.He can get a huge gain on punt returns or take one to the house.He's the reason we can run our gadget plays.

9. Our recievers must continue to step up.This includes ARE.Wilson has stepped up big in the playoffs,and Ward has been his typical self.They must keep it up if they want Super Bowl rings.

10. Tight End play.We have to get our tight ends involved in the game,especially Heath Miller.It'll force someone to cover him and possibly Tuman also.They also have to keep on blocking well when we're running.If we force them to cover Miller,then they can't double cover Ward without having only seven in the box.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 12:12 AM   #10
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Member Number: 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suitanim
I think the whole game comes down to the Steelers executing LeBeau's game plan. He has 2 weeks to work with all the Seattle film, and I think he'll have a master game plan in place.

I would never doubt the masters gameplan... we've executed it to near perfection for the last 2 months especially... it will take that same effort and better to get the job done but it surely CAN be done.

Another point I forgot to mention.. the secondary needs to continue to play good man to man and jam the WR's at the point of attack to mess up the timing of Hasselback. the west coast is predicated on timing exclusively..if we can disrupt that rythmn it'll be a long day for their offense.
BlitzburghRockCity is offline   Reply With Quote