Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 12-06-2009, 04:46 PM   #1
TX Steelerfan
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 15119
Default What Was Once A Promising Season...

......has come crashing down.

For a team that came into the season not only as defending champs, but defending champs who won despite having the toughest schedule in generations....

a team that lost only a handfuls of starters on both sides and seemingly replaced them with equal or better players, or players who at least showed promise (Foote replaced by Timmons, McFadden by Gay, Stapleton by Essex).....

a team that came in with a regular season schedule that at the very least would give them a pretty easy road to the division crown ....

a team that early in the season beat the seemingly toughest opponents on the schedule (Tennessee, San Diego, Minnesota) and played lights out against a surprising Denver team.....

a team who could always count on it's defense to bail out an underperforming offense.....

I would have to say that this has been one of the most disappointing seasons ever.

There has not been a game where all 3 phases have performed well. Our usually stout D has given up too many late game points. Our ST's may not rank near the top, but at least they usually don't give up big plays. Our offense has suffered from poor 3rd down play and red zone failures all year long.

I'll still wave my Terrible Towel. I'll still watch the games. I'll still wear my jerseys. But I cannot help but feel the 2009 Steelers have let Steeler Nation down.
TX Steelerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 04:49 PM   #2
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656
Default Re: What Was Once A Promising Season...

The loss of Aaron Smith and Troy is just too much for this once unstoppable defense. Other teams lose players to injury and go sign rent-a-players.

There's no such thing as a rent-a-Troy.
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 04:50 PM   #3
CaseyHamburglar
Water Boy

Member Number: 15454

The injury bug has struck with a vengeance.
CaseyHamburglar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 04:52 PM   #4
GodofGridiron
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 10597

Bens agent needs to ensure that no one from EA sports calls about a Madden cover photo ever.........NO STEELER player for that matter.

HTF does Larry Fitz escape the curse ? Explain that ish to me.
GodofGridiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 04:55 PM   #5
Texasteel
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 8323

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillers4me View Post
The loss of Aaron Smith and Troy is just too much for this once unstoppable defense. Other teams lose players to injury and go sign rent-a-players.

There's no such thing as a rent-a-Troy.
Not sure which hurt worse, remember this exact thing happened the last time Smith went down. Both together was a definite killer.

Simply, The Chief.
Texasteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 05:00 PM   #6
AllD
Team Owner

Member Number: 11931

Maybe Tomlin overemphacized that it was a new team and season.

The scary part is Ward will probably come back for one more season barring injury, then he is due for retirement. Our defense got old in one season.

Could take two seasons to come back from a disappointment like this.
Old 12-06-2009, 05:04 PM   #7
SteelerEmpire
Living Legend

Member Number: 14355
Thanked 2,429 Times in 1,080 Posts

Did you see the way the Raider's were moving the ball against the defense ?? ... Just a pitiful ending....

A HOUSE DIVIDED WILL FALL TO IT'S ENEMIES;
BUT IN UNITY THERE ARE 6' SUPER BOWLS !!!
SteelerEmpire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 05:06 PM   #8
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerEmpire View Post
Did you see the way the Raider's were moving the ball against the defense ?? ... Just a pitiful ending....
Aaron Smith in the front and Troy in the secondary. There ya go.
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 05:33 PM   #9
wootawnee
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 4530

The o-line played with no heart in the redzone.........They need some fire and No mountain climb with out showing heart and looks like they blew it.........
Old 12-06-2009, 05:37 PM   #10
MillerMania83
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 10437

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX Steelerfan View Post
......has come crashing down.

For a team that came into the season not only as defending champs, but defending champs who won despite having the toughest schedule in generations....

a team that lost only a handfuls of starters on both sides and seemingly replaced them with equal or better players, or players who at least showed promise (Foote replaced by Timmons, McFadden by Gay, Stapleton by Essex).....

a team that came in with a regular season schedule that at the very least would give them a pretty easy road to the division crown ....

a team that early in the season beat the seemingly toughest opponents on the schedule (Tennessee, San Diego, Minnesota) and played lights out against a surprising Denver team.....

a team who could always count on it's defense to bail out an underperforming offense.....

I would have to say that this has been one of the most disappointing seasons ever.

There has not been a game where all 3 phases have performed well. Our usually stout D has given up too many late game points. Our ST's may not rank near the top, but at least they usually don't give up big plays. Our offense has suffered from poor 3rd down play and red zone failures all year long.

I'll still wave my Terrible Towel. I'll still watch the games. I'll still wear my jerseys. But I cannot help but feel the 2009 Steelers have let Steeler Nation down.

AMEN....Totally feel the same way.
MillerMania83 is offline   Reply With Quote