Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 12-06-2009, 06:26 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Steelers-Raiders post-game thoughts

NFL from the sidelines
http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/
After hobnobbing around the NFL in the press boxes and sidelines, sports reporter Dale Lolley will let you know the insider scoop

Steelers-Raiders post-game thoughts

Though the players won't admit it, it has become painfully apparent the Steelers' secondary just cannot play without strong safety Troy Polamalu.

Without anybody in their secondary other than Polamalu who can consistently catch the ball, the Steelers just don't scare anybody.

Oakland's Bruce Gradkowski threw a number of balls up for grabs in Sunday's 27-24 win over the Steelers and the Raiders either came down with the pass or saw it fall harmlessly to the ground.

We already knew that catching the football was not Ike Taylor's strong point, but now it's become apparent that neither can anyone else, sans Polamalu.

And the group is also playing without any confidence as well. It's not a good combination.

Opponents are obviously targeting Willie Gay play after play and Gay has not been up to the challenge at all.

In fact, after Gay was beaten a couple of times Sunday, defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau just started sending him on corner blitzes.

I guess if you can't cover, you might as well go after the quarterback.

Head coach Mike Tomlin said Sunday that the team will consider changes in its lineup. The only changes they could make defensively would probably be in the secondary though the run defense allowed more than 100 yards rushing for the second consecutive game.

All you need to know about the difference between the Steelers defense of 2008 and the 2009 version is that Gradkowski completed five of 16 passes for 18 yards and two interceptions against them last season. Sunday, he threw for more than 300 yards with three touchdown passes.

I've taken heat all season long for blaming the defense for not holding leads late in games.

That was again the case Sunday. Anybody want to defend the indefensible defense this week?

I was not a big fan of Tomlin's decision to attempt a 53-yard field goal on the opening play of the fourth quarter and even after Tomlin's explanation that Jeff Reed had been making them from there before the game, I'm still not.

With a four-point lead, why punt there and make the Raiders - who had not shown anything offensively to that point - drive the length of the field?

By giving Oakland the ball at its own 43, all the Raiders needed was 20 yards to get into field goal range. They did better than that, scoring the first of three fourth quarter touchdowns.

Rashard Mendenhall did not have a carry in the entire second quarter.

He didn't even set foot on the field as Willie Parker was given two consecutive series of play - the first a two-play touchdown drive while Mewelde Moore was in on the final possession of the second quarter in the two-minute offense.

I'm all for keeping everyone involved, but that's taking it to the extreme.

Ben Roethlisberger made one bad mistake in this one, throwing a pick from the Oakland 16 late in the first half.

He forced that throw to Hines Ward, who was open coming out of his break, but certainly was not once Roethlisberger let go of the ball.

It was the only sign of post-concussion play that Roethlisberger really showed.
Posted by Dale Lolley at 6:47 PM 0 comments Links to this post
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 06:38 PM   #2
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 2,192 Times in 1,081 Posts
Default Re: Steelers-Raiders post-game thoughts

I'm wondering if we can get Alabama NT Shaun Cody with the 15th pick in the draft.

Sorry, but if you cant beat KC and OAK, then you are not gonna win a Super Bowl.
Old 12-06-2009, 06:44 PM   #3
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
I'm wondering if we can get Alabama NT Shaun Cody with the 15th pick in the draft.

Sorry, but if you cant beat KC and OAK, then you are not gonna win a Super Bowl.
Sadly, those were my thoughts exactly. Not only SB, but I do have doubts this year about the playoffs.

It is living up to the 2 years on, 1 year off cycle of the 2000s.

But I think this year has shown, the pressing need is CB before anywhere else, including NT.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 06:51 PM   #4
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438

Unfortunately I have to agree with both El Gonzo and Preacher. We are not going to the Super Bowl this year. In my 45 years of watching Steelers football this has to be one of the most disappointing seasons I can remember. Well now we will now find out how good a coach Tomlin really is. As far as what players we take I could taking an NT but I think a more immediate need is a DB.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 07:02 PM   #5
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 2,192 Times in 1,081 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post

But I think this year has shown, the pressing need is CB before anywhere else, including NT.
Steelers spent a 3rd round pick and a 5th round pick on CB last year. I really dont think CB is a priority. I still expect to see Taylor, Gay, Burnett, Lewis and a veteran. The absence of Polamalu and Aaron Smith hurts more than anything.

Expect to see ILB, NT, OT drafted.
Old 12-06-2009, 07:20 PM   #6
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,198 Times in 3,492 Posts

Quote:
Rashard Mendenhall did not have a carry in the entire second quarter.

He didn't even set foot on the field as Willie Parker was given two consecutive series of play - the first a two-play touchdown drive – while Mewelde Moore was in on the final possession of the second quarter in the two-minute offense.

I'm all for keeping everyone involved, but that's taking it to the extreme.
he still shoulda been able to execute from the bench.

oh well... cant question the coaches. atleast we will have a fresh mendenhall and willie for the post season.
Old 12-06-2009, 07:22 PM   #7
srk173
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 6010

[QUOTE=mesaSteeler;721277]NFL from the sidelines
http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/

Ben Roethlisberger made one bad mistake in this one, throwing a pick from the Oakland 16 late in the first half.

You are forgetting the sack in field goal range that forced reed to try a 53 yarder instead of a 43 yarder.

And just for fun we gave away 9 points at least 3 on the pick, 3 when they qb sneaked on 4th&1, and 3 from the sack in field goal range. In my book that is horrible coaching by tomlin. forget the offense, defense or special teams, these losses come straight off bad coaching.
srk173 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 07:27 PM   #8
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,668 Times in 1,583 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
Steelers spent a 3rd round pick and a 5th round pick on CB last year. I really dont think CB is a priority. I still expect to see Taylor, Gay, Burnett, Lewis and a veteran. The absence of Polamalu and Aaron Smith hurts more than anything.

Expect to see ILB, NT, OT drafted.
i think a FS should be high on the list as well ...was clark even on the field today ? he sure as hell was nowhere around the ball.
MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 07:30 PM   #9
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,198 Times in 3,492 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by srk173 View Post

You are forgetting the sack in field goal range that forced reed to try a 53 yarder instead of a 43 yarder.

And just for fun we gave away 9 points at least 3 on the pick, 3 when they qb sneaked on 4th&1, and 3 from the sack in field goal range. In my book that is horrible coaching by tomlin. forget the offense, defense or special teams, these losses come straight off bad coaching.
good post. but if the coaches opt to go for a 65 yd fg, its up to the players to execute it.
Old 12-06-2009, 07:32 PM   #10
Steeler
Banned

Member Number: 15500

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
he still shoulda been able to execute from the bench.

oh well... cant question the coaches. atleast we will have a fresh mendenhall and willie for the post season.
Willie Parker is not a very good RB. Mendy is a good not great back but Parker is a joke. Go look up his stats.
Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote