Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 12-07-2009, 07:31 AM   #1
Steeldude
Living Legend

Question Question on Dick Lebeau???

now don't get upset. finish reading it all before making an absurd rah-rah fan comment.

is it time for lebeau to retire? now i am not advocating he should retire. nor am i saying he is a horrible DC. sometimes it's just time to retire or perhaps take some time off. it was time for noll to go, right? i didn't really want him to go, but i think he realized it was just his time. when you do something for so long you can become tired, burned-out, relaxed, complacent, bored or any number of other things.

now let me repeat so the angry lemmings don't get upset. i am not saying lebeau should leave or that he sucks or that the steelers should ask him to leave. he is still head and shoulders above many, many DCs in the NFL.

retiring doesn't mean you aren't good at what you do. now if he does retire, who replaces him?

i would just like to read some opinions from other fans on the issue.
Old 12-07-2009, 07:33 AM   #2
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Default Re: Question on Dick Lebeau???

I would think Keith Butler would be next in line for the job, personally. LeBeau can't coach forever.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 07:47 AM   #3
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

I'd hate to see Papa Lebeau retire, but I know it's coming somewhere down the road, as it's only common sense that at some point it's going to happen. I believe he stayed this season in the hope of winning another Super Bowl, but it doesn't look like it is going to happen as it stands right now so he just might step down after this season. As far as his replacement goes - the Steelers usually promote from within so I'd have to agree with Gary here that it most likely would be Butler.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 07:51 AM   #4
O Sensei
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 14023

The problem is his defenses are consistently on the plus side of the effective meter and at the risk of being a bandwagon guy if the secondary catches half of the relatively routine INT opps they have had....we are quite likely looking at a very different record. Burnett dropped another yesterday that probably would have sealed victory. So the concept which hasn't really changed much and all of you with a working knowledge of this 3-4 know what that concept is....is certainly sound, so blaming this collapse on lebeau isn't very realistic. The players have been put into position to succeed they are too often just NPI....dropping the ball.
O Sensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 07:54 AM   #5
O Sensei
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 14023

Sorry I didn't answer the question...I'd have to agree, Butler is the next in line when DL decides to go. It's almost unthinkable but how would you like to be the guy that tells the father of the 3-4 zone blitz it's time to hang it up? Damn DBs.
O Sensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 08:05 AM   #6
public - enemy
Water Boy

Member Number: 11040

Lebeau is not the problem. Th problem is weak corners and our secondary is awful.
Old 12-07-2009, 08:13 AM   #7
scsteeler
Team Captain

Member Number: 8491

At some point Lebeau will retire. I would like for it to be when he decides that its time.

Secondary is just playing horrible and drafting a quality Corner is crucial this upcoming draft. Our loses this year have come mostly in the 4th with the defense giving up big play after big play to allow the other team to win.
scsteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 08:45 AM   #8
KeiselPower99
Living Legend

Member Number: 8552

Butler will probably get the job when LeBeau retires. I dont see us drafting a CB in the next draft because we drafted 2 this past year. Yes I know they suck because they havent seen the field and all that junk. Ya gotta give em a year in our system.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:21 AM   #9
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,804 Times in 903 Posts

He cant coach forever and his retirement isnt that far off, but I think he comes back next year. Tough to leave on such a bad note as what might be an 8-8 season.

Everybody is complaining about the secondary, but I still believe all football starts up front. There isnt enough consistent pressure on the QB and Gradkowski seemed to have a lot of time to throw the ball for the most part. Being old, injured and thin on the D line hurts more than the absence of Polamalu IMO.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:28 AM   #10
BlastFurnace
Living Legend

Member Number: 6321

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeiselPower99 View Post
Ya gotta give em a year in our system.
I have a hard time believing that Lewis or Burnett could play any worse than Gay has this year.

The Steelers secondary is not deep at all this season and the veterans....Deshea, Carter, Ratliff (when he was here) did not get the job done at all. I hope they give these two young corners some time these next 4 games. There is nothing else to play for.
BlastFurnace is offline   Reply With Quote