Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 12-07-2009, 08:40 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Patriots journal: Brady questions his teamís toughness

Patriots journal: Brady questions his teamís toughness

01:00 AM EST on Monday, December 7, 2009
http://www.projo.com/patriots/conten...3.38ac4b2.html
By SHALISE MANZA YOUNG Journal Sports Writer

MIAMI GARDENS, Fla. ó Dressed much more casually than normal after a road game, a weary Tom Brady questioned the toughness of his team, which has lost two games in a row for the first time in two years and seems incapable of getting a victory away from home.

ďI think weíve got to find a way to play better football for 60 minutes, in all phases, and everyone has got to focus on what they need to do better. I think thatís the most important thing: being mentally tough to overcome adversity,Ē Brady said. ďWhen things donít go your way, you have to fight back. Thatís a challenge for all of us. I think at times we do, and at times I donít think we fight very hard.

ďWe have leads in the second half and leads in the fourth quarter and weíre just not closing the game out when we have the opportunity to.Ē

Calling the Patriotsí collective toughness into question was definitely Brady making a statement. With four games left to right the ship before the playoffs (assuming they are headed there), it will be interesting to see if his teammates respond.

Henne on the rise

It is no secret that the Dolphinsí brain trust is very high on quarterback Chad Henne, who took over as the starter in Week Three when Chad Pennington suffered a season-ending shoulder injury.

But as with any young quarterback ó Henne was drafted last year ó there are fits and starts to endure. Last week in Buffalo, he gave Miami fits, throwing three interceptions. But this week against New England, he had his share of starts as he completed 29 of 52 passes for 335 yards, all career-highs.

ďChad did a good job, he really did. We just felt like we could throw the ball and we did,Ē Miami head coach Tony Sparano said. ďWe just believed wholeheartedly that Chad has been getting better and better and was going to be able to handle that if we didnít do too much. What I mean by that is we felt there were some good staples in this plan that we could repeat. We ran a lot of repeated plays out there today, things that he really likes.Ē

For the books

In the loss, there were a few milestones achieved:

ēOn his 81-yard touchdown pass to Aiken, Brady eclipsed 30,000 career passing yards. Brady is the 31st player in NFL history to eclipse that mark, and is the third this season, joining the Eaglesí Donovan McNabb and the Cardinalsí Kurt Warner. Brady came into the game needing 268 yards for the milestone. Last week he passed Drew Bledsoe as New Englandís all-time leader in passing yardage.

ēRandy Moss had 66 receiving yards, giving him 1,058 yards for the season, his 10th with over 1,000 yards. He is just the second receiver with double-digit seasons over 1,000 yards, joining Jerry Rice, who had 14. With 14,259 career yards, Moss is now 222 shy of passing former Colt Marvin Harrison for fifth place all-time.

ēFor the third straight year, both Moss and Wes Welker have eclipsed 1,000 receiving yards. Welker racked up 167 on Sunday, giving him 1,053 for the season.

ēWith 10 catches, Welker now has 95 for the season, which leads the NFL. He is on pace for 133 receptions this year (in only 14 games), which would not only shatter his team record but come in as the second-most for a single season.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 09:21 AM   #2
The Patriot
Head Coach

Member Number: 7750
Default Re: Patriots journal: Brady questions his teamís toughness

Tom, how about we try to score more than three times a game. It could really help us out.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:06 AM   #3
The_WARDen
Head Coach

Member Number: 7628

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Patriot View Post
Tom, how about we try to score more than three times a game. It could really help us out.
21 pts isn't enough for the defensive genius of all-time? Dang it! I keep forgetting...he doesn't know what the offense is calling now. My bad!

Yes, Tom...score more points to bail out your overrated coach.
After reading the idiotic threads over the past couple of weeks, I ask the question - "Who is worse...Steeler fans or Eagles fans?" Keep in mind that Eagle fans do not know what it's like to win a SB much less 6 and 2 this decade.
The_WARDen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 02:03 PM   #4
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

Eh....that's actually not all that douchey of him....at least he's not dumping all the blame on others and saying "they", which is what I'd expect.

Think about it...this has GOT to suck for Marsha. He's used to getting the defensive plays piped into his helmet, tossing 50 TD's, winning games at a feverish pace, then he gets hurt, and comes back to find out the party is over.

So he goes back to tossing 28 TD's and 14 INT's and winning 10 or so games and probably not going to the Super Bowl again. It's a lot to digest. When things level out entirely, and he stops getting pub, stops makig Pro Bowls, and he's traded because his contract is too big for an above-average QB, things are REALLY going to get ugly for him.

But I can't feel too sorry. He's uber rich. He's already made more money than the entire lifelong net worth of EVERY poster on this board combined. He's got some (ill-begotten) rings. He's set up for life. Boo-hoo....
Old 12-07-2009, 02:29 PM   #5
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
So he goes back to tossing 28 TD's and 14 INT's and winning 10 or so games and probably not going to the Super Bowl again. It's a lot to digest. When things level out entirely, and he stops getting pub, stops makig Pro Bowls, and he's traded because his contract is too big for an above-average QB, things are REALLY going to get ugly for him.
If Al Davis is still alive, he'll be in Oakland with an even more outrageous contract.

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 04:08 PM   #6
The Patriot
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post

28 TD's and 10 or so games. What a travesty.
Old 12-07-2009, 04:13 PM   #7
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

When you're losing everyone is to blame...

We Know!
Old 12-07-2009, 09:19 PM   #8
The Patriot
Head Coach

The media hard at work.
Quote:
During his postgame comments, Brady called out his teammates after watching the Patriots lose leads of 14-0 and 21-10, saying ďat times I donít think we fight very hard.Ē

Brady had an opportunity to back off that comment Monday. He didnít. During his weekly appearance on WEEI, Brady said the Patriots need more commitment in their preparation.

ďIíve been here 10 years, and Iíve seen a lot of players and teams,Ē Brady said on The Dennis and Callahan Show. ďIt starts on Monday in our preparation. It starts on Wednesday through five hours of meetings and walk-thrus that we do, and practice [and] film study. I think when it gets hard, thatís when you have to dig deep. At times, we do that. And other times, it doesnít show up.

ďWeíve all got to do a better job of that. Weíve all got to put more work in and put more time in and put more commitment into each other. Itís a different team. We have a lot of new players. Weíre trying, over the course of the season, learn each other and learn things we do well and things we donít do so well. And that takes a lot of commitment. I have a lot of confidence in our team, and I have a lot of confidence that we do play tough, and we do play physical, and we do play smart Ö I just donít think ó as coach would say, and he says this to us all the time ó we donít do it on a consistent basis.Ē
Old 12-07-2009, 09:50 PM   #9
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656

Now you know what Hines Ward feels like.
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 12:31 PM   #10
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Patriot View Post
28 TD's and 10 or so games. What a travesty.
Give him the defensive plays, and he'll double the TD's and almost double the wins...almost.