Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 12-07-2009, 08:55 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Madden Monday: Take Ward at his word?

Madden Monday: Take Ward at his word?
http://www.timesonline.com/sports/sp...-his-word.html
By: Mark Madden
Beaver County Times

Monday December 7, 2009 12:15 AM

In a Facebook post, Hines Ward said he had apologized to Ben Roethlisberger and things were cool between them. Ward also added, “The media will not get comments about this situation from me.”

Until, of course, the media did. Ward couldn’t help himself.

Ward is egocentric, which Webster defines as “concerned with the individual rather than society.” Nothing need be added.

Ward wasn’t content with questioning Roethlisberger’s courage on national television via Bob Costas. He followed up that diatribe by telling the local media, “Me personally, I’m playing.” That further emphasized that Roethlisberger didn’t play and that Ward believes himself to be tougher. It also ignores that Roethlisberger was told by doctors and the coaching staff that he couldn’t play.

Roethlisberger, meanwhile, made one comment — he was “hurt” by Ward’s interview — then declined further discussion. Roethlisberger did what Ward promised to do, but didn’t: Made one statement, then shut up.

The Pittsburgh football media mostly let this story die. Tiger Woods pitched in. The Steelers should send Woods a thank-you note.

The defense of what Ward said to Costas was laughable. Ward questioning Roethlisberger’s heart was the entire context of the interview and thus impossible to take out of context. Trying to make former Patriot-cum-NBC analyst Rodney Harrison the villain was lame. The media did not overhype Ward’s comments, especially considering Ward chose to rekindle the fire mid-week.

Even nuttier is the notion that Mike Tomlin didn’t properly inform his players about Roethlisberger’s health. Why do they need to know? Do Ward and the anti-Ben 50 percent need a reason to be good teammates?
Advertisement Greek Catholic Union

Tomlin’s excuse-making made him look weak. He appeared to have inadequate control of the situation, and of Ward.

Is Ward really sorry? Even if he is, does a private apology make up for a skewering on national TV?

A better question: Can Roethlisberger and Ward indefinitely co-exist on the same team? Despite public statements of respect between the two, it’s no secret they don’t like each other. Ben might not care who’s perceived as King Steeler, but Hines does, and it’s not him.

Of still more intrigue was Ward’s declaration that half the Steelers thought Roethlisberger should have played. How true is that? How deep does that opinion run?

The Steelers are surely fortunate to have so many media cheerleaders locally. But this story will have more repercussions, whether we hear about them or not, especially now that four straight losses and a fade from playoff contention figure to turn the Steelers sour and fragile.

The Steelers could solve the problem after the season by getting rid of Roethlisberger or Ward. But both are indispensible to the Steelers’ success. Ward is closer to the end than to his prime, but dumping him would rally the locker room and fans against Roethlisberger. And you simply don’t ditch the best money quarterback in football.

So you move on. Maybe everyone involved will shut up, but I doubt it.

Mark Madden hosts a radio show 3-6 p.m. weekdays on WXDX-FM (105.9).
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 08:58 AM   #2
The_WARDen
Head Coach

Member Number: 7628
Default Re: Madden Monday: Take Ward at his word?

After reading the idiotic threads over the past couple of weeks, I ask the question - "Who is worse...Steeler fans or Eagles fans?" Keep in mind that Eagle fans do not know what it's like to win a SB much less 6 and 2 this decade.
The_WARDen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 09:14 AM   #3
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Everytime I laugh at the sheer ignorance of Tim Lumber wanting to be a writer....I remember Mark Madden and think "well, maybe".
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 10:17 AM   #4
steelerchad
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 5792

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamberts-lost-tooth View Post
Everytime I laugh at the sheer ignorance of Tim Lumber wanting to be a writer....I remember Mark Madden and think "well, maybe".
I had seen Tim Lumber's name on here a few times and had no idea what anyone was talking about, until this morning when someone sent me one of his articles. Holy Shit that was funny stuff. To think this guy is trying to be a writer. He could barely spell or make complete sentences. I should have realized while trying to read it that he was a Rat Turd fan. I struggled through, feeling like a 3rd grader trying to read a foreign dialect of the English language.

Wow, what an idiot.
steelerchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 10:27 AM   #5
SteelCityMom

Member Number:

Time to let it die Mark, time to let it die.
Old 12-07-2009, 11:05 AM   #6
SteelerFanInStl
Team Captain

Member Number: 2162

Why is this still news?
SteelerFanInStl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 02:11 PM   #7
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

Is Mark Madden Steeldude?

Both seem to rejoice in a curmudgeonly fashion at the suffering of both the Steelers and their fans....
Old 12-07-2009, 02:20 PM   #8
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerchad View Post
I had seen Tim Lumber's name on here a few times and had no idea what anyone was talking about, until this morning when someone sent me one of his articles. Holy Shit that was funny stuff. To think this guy is trying to be a writer. He could barely spell or make complete sentences. I should have realized while trying to read it that he was a Rat Turd fan. I struggled through, feeling like a 3rd grader trying to read a foreign dialect of the English language.

Wow, what an idiot.
Mark Madden or Tim lumber?
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote