Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 12-07-2009, 12:42 PM   #1
Shoes
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 6382
Default Ward out for week 14?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4722075

PITTSBURGH -- Not only are the Steelers frustrated with their season-high four-game losing streak, but the defending champs are also ailing.

AFC North blog

Walker ESPN.com's James Walker writes about all things AFC North in his division blog.

Blog network: NFL Nation

Pittsburgh coach Mike Tomlin said Monday that team captain and veteran receiver Hines Ward is "very questionable" with a hamstring injury for Thursday's game against the Cleveland Browns. Ward was injured late in the fourth quarter of Sunday's 27-24 loss to the Oakland Raiders.

"We'll see where it goes, but it's not favorable for him," Tomlin said.

Starting cornerback William Gay also suffered a concussion and will go through a battery of tests. Considering the short week, it's likely Gay won't see the field on Thursday. Rookie cornerback Joe Burnett would start in Gay's place, according to Tomlin, along with fellow rookie Keenan Lewis seeing some playing time.

Tomlin added that, for the first time this season, the coaching staff is looking to make significant changes in the starting lineup in all three phases in an effort to end the losing streak. Pittsburgh (6-6) has to run the table in the final four games to keep its playoff hopes alive.

Tomlin isn't worried about how veterans on his team will respond if changes are made.

"They're pros," Tomlin said. "I think they understand it, and I think to a degree they'll agree with me. That's the nature of this thing. We can't stay status quo in terms of how we approach this thing and expect guys' behavior or the outcome to change. That's unrealistic.

"That's hoping and this is not a hope business. I'm not a hope-mentality person."

In other injury news, Steelers Pro Bowl safety Troy Polamalu (knee) also is not expected to play Thursday. Starting running back Rashard Mendenhall (ankle) will be limited in practice this week but is expected to play.

James Walker covers the AFC North for ESPN.com.
Shoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 12:43 PM   #2
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891
Default Re: Ward out for week 14?

Good god...we better beat the fcking browns. I don't care if we are 2-14 (well yeah I do but....) we better beat the god awful Browns...
Old 12-07-2009, 12:47 PM   #3
SteelCityMom

Member Number:

I wonder if the locker room is split as to whether Ward should play or not.

Sorry...kidding, someone had to say it though.

In theory they SHOULD play just fine against the Browns w/o Ward...in the reality of this season though, who knows.
Old 12-07-2009, 12:47 PM   #4
Crow-Magnon
Team Captain

Member Number: 9500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino 6 Rings View Post
Good god...we better beat the fcking browns. I don't care if we are 2-14 (well yeah I do but....) we better beat the god awful Browns...
If the Steelers lose to Cleveland Thursday, this site is going make Chernobyl look like a backyard BBQ!

Seriously........Cleveland? I'd crap a brick if that happens.
Crow-Magnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 12:49 PM   #5
SteelerEmpire
Head Coach

Member Number: 14355

Well Gay is out... he has been performing as a pretty substantial weak link on the defense any way. If we can pull thurs. game off and get Troy back at Green Bay and begin firing on all cylinders, that's are only chance to survive for that last spot in the playoffs.
But after the last for game losses, I'm already prepared for the worse...

A HOUSE DIVIDED WILL FALL TO IT'S ENEMIES;
BUT IN UNITY THERE ARE 6' SUPER BOWLS !!!
SteelerEmpire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 12:51 PM   #6
Shoes
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 6382

More play time for Sweed and Mike Wallace. Hope it goes well for Sweed.
Shoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 12:51 PM   #7
Spidey
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 2758

Tomlin added that, for the first time this season, the coaching staff is looking to make significant changes in the starting lineup in all three phases in an effort to end the losing streak.

No Farrior on third down, Woodley sharing time outside . . . . I hope so!
Spidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 12:52 PM   #8
SteelerEmpire
Head Coach

Member Number: 14355

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityMom View Post
I wonder if the locker room is split as to whether Ward should play or not.

Sorry...kidding, someone had to say it though.

In theory they SHOULD play just fine against the Browns w/o Ward...in the reality of this season though, who knows.
As long as our opponents can throw against this team... anything can happen in the remaining games.... Just approach the remaining games realistically by not getting our hopes up....

A HOUSE DIVIDED WILL FALL TO IT'S ENEMIES;
BUT IN UNITY THERE ARE 6' SUPER BOWLS !!!
SteelerEmpire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 12:56 PM   #9
devilsdancefloor
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 10172

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey View Post
Tomlin added that, for the first time this season, the coaching staff is looking to make significant changes in the starting lineup in all three phases in an effort to end the losing streak.

No Farrior on third down, Woodley sharing time outside . . . . I hope so!
ok i will bite who is gonna share time with Woodley??? Also why would we take out our linebacker who gets everyone lined up? and who has the radio in his helmet??

I believe that today more than ever a book should be sought after even if it has only one great page in it. We must search for fragments, splinters, toenails, anything that has ore in it, anything that is capable of resuscitating the body and the soul.

devilsdancefloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 01:02 PM   #10
Angus Burgher
Team Captain

Member Number: 15057

Let's not overlook the fact that Brady Quinn threw for 3 touchdowns yesterday against a San Diego Chargers team that's playing a lot better football than we are.

Nothing is certain anymore, folks. If we can lose to the Chiefs and the Raiders, we can lose to the Browns. I'm not saying that we WILL, I'm just saying that I don't think I can muster another "We'll blow them out 42-10" any longer. I wouldn't be surprised if, again, this comes down to the 4th quarter. I just hope that if it does, we finally come out on top.