Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 12-07-2009, 05:22 PM   #11
Shoes
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 6382
Default Re: Tomlin: Some Steelers about to lose jobs

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09341/1019081-100.stm

Tomlin may bench some starters against Cleveland
Monday, December 07, 2009
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Mike Tomlin promised possible sweeping changes to the Steelers lineup for their next game in Cleveland Thursday night.

Enduring a four-game losing streak that has knocked his team to 6-6, Tomlin said there is an" undesirable pattern of behavior" in losing games in the fourth quarter and that he will take an "aggressive look at potential changes" in his lineup and his schemes.

Among the changes he noted is the likelihood that rookie cornerbacks Joe Burnett and Keenan Lewis not only will play but could start against Cleveland and that veteran cornerback Ike Taylor possibly could lose his starting job.

A few changes will be necessary because it appears Hines Ward will not play because of a late-game hamstring injury from the Steelers' 27-24 loss to Oakland Sunday. That means Limas Sweed will move up on the depth chart and either he or rookie Mike Wallace will start Thursday. Tomlin also said they will sign a fourth wide receiver for the game -- they released veteran receiver Shaun McDonald Nov. 28.

Also, Troy Polamalu is likely to miss his fourth straight game with his knee injury and cornerback William Gay is being evaluated after he left Sunday's game with a concussion.

Tomlin said he expects defensive end Travis Kirschke to be available to play in Cleveland after he missed his fourth game in the past five with a calf injury.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09341...#ixzz0Z32uJpHH
Shoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 05:22 PM   #12
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelboy84 View Post
The way Tomlin is talking on ESPN right now, I'd be scared to death to be a player in that locker room. Everyone's job is at stake. Tomlin is pissed!
He should be. They made him look pretty foolish.
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 05:25 PM   #13
Steelerfreak58
Team Captain

Member Number: 8080

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillers4me View Post
He should be. They made him look pretty foolish.
Yup. Losing to Jokeland has got to be one of the worst things in the world I know I live here on the West Coast and not one Jokeland fan would bet me any money so I got lucky but my heart still hurts!
Old 12-07-2009, 05:26 PM   #14
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
Let Ben call all the plays - that'll solve everything!
No, no, no - you've got it all wrong Gary! Let Tomlin call the plays as a couple of members stated. You know - all of that offensive coaching he's done in the past.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 05:26 PM   #15
Shoes
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 6382

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/pos...eelers-changes

What are the Steelers' changes?
December, 7, 2009
Dec 7
1:20
PM ET
Email Print Share
By James Walker
PITTSBURGH -- To break a four-game losing streak, Steelers (6-6) head coach Mike Tomlin promised to make changes in the starting lineup for Thursday's game against the Cleveland Browns (1-11).

Tomlin added that he will be looking at all three phases up until game time.

So what are the potential lineup changes? After giving up three touchdowns in the fourth quarter against the Oakland Raiders, I anticipate most of them coming on defense.

Here are some possibilities:

CB William Gay replaced by Joe Burnett

Why: This is the easiest to predict because Gay (concussion) is injured and unlikely to play on a short week. Tomlin said Burnett likely will be the starter if Gay cannot play. Keenan Lewis also is in the mix. But even if Gay is available, I think heís skating on thin ice. He has struggled in recent weeks in coverage.

S Ryan Clark/Tyrone Carter replaced by Ryan Mundy

Why: Tomlin could have an interesting decision at safety with Mundy waiting in the wings. Heís a young player the coaching staff has liked since training camp. And with Clark playing poorly and Carter limited as a playmaker, Mundy could start in place of either player. Itís really a matter of who Tomlin feels needs to be replaced.

LB Lawrence Timmons replaced by Keyaron Fox

Why: Fox replaced Timmons earlier this season when he was hurt, and Pittsburgh played some of its best defense of the season. Tomlin likely remembers and could look to Fox again. Timmons has been at his best as a specialty player who can come off the bench and cover a tight end or rush the passer. But, whether itís injuries or performances, he has struggled at this season as an every down player.

CB Ike Taylor replaced by Keenan Lewis

Why: Could Tomlin really go with two rookie cornerbacks against Cleveland? I donít think so. Taylor has allowed some big plays and struggled to hold on to potential interceptions. But heís still the teamís best cover cornerback, and it would be a huge risk to pull Taylor from the starting lineup.

Also on the injury front, receiver Hines Ward injured his hamstring late against the Oakland Raiders and is ďvery questionable.Ē Rookie receiver Mike Wallace likely would start if Ward cannot go. Safety Troy Polamalu (knee) also is not expected to play Thursday.
Shoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 05:26 PM   #16
xbroughneck
Team Captain

Member Number: 5743

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelboy84 View Post
The way Tomlin is talking on ESPN right now, I'd be scared to death to be a player in that locker room. Everyone's job is at stake. Tomlin is pissed!
Gay will be out due to the concussion.

I see Carter being replaced as well.

The only offensive player I can't understand getting a paycheck is Spaeth.
Old 12-07-2009, 05:27 PM   #17
supa_fly_steeler
Banned

Member Number: 15332

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelerfreak58 View Post
Gay has got to be one of them. Thursday will be interesting to watch.
he's out of the game...

ike taylor needs to be benched, to get his head right. usi got benched in NYG, and he came back played beastly game same with rhodes in NYJ.

HERE WE GO STEELERS HERE WE GO

I GOTTA FEELING WE GONNA WIN BIG!

but seriously matt spaeth needs to go lol.
supa_fly_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 05:45 PM   #18
Riddles of Steel
Water Boy

Member Number: 15518

I hope this is more "lighting a fire" underneath these guys butts than actual action.

Gay...absolutely. He's getting picked on constantly and isn't making plays. I know he's injured this week and probably out anyways, but we need a solution.

Clark has too much potential. He needs to start playing up to what he's capable of playing. I've never been a fan of Carter's, but he has stepped in to be "OK" since Troy went down.

Newbie here, btw, so I guess a friendly hello is in order.
Riddles of Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 05:46 PM   #19
SteeleReign
Team President

Member Number: 13943

I disagree with Timmons being benched. Sure, he's missed a tackle or two & an assignment or two, but he's still learning. In his first year as a starter he missed some games due to injury, so I give him a pass.

The thing I like about him is that he's giving all-out effort & seems to be involved in every play....he's flying to the ball, which is more than we can say for a few. His mistakes can be attributed to inexperience...but what excuse does Ike, Ryan, Tyrone, et al have?
SteeleReign is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 05:58 PM   #20
SteelGhost
Starter

Member Number: 13528

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteeleReign View Post
I disagree with Timmons being benched. Sure, he's missed a tackle or two & an assignment or two, but he's still learning. In his first year as a starter he missed some games due to injury, so I give him a pass.

The thing I like about him is that he's giving all-out effort & seems to be involved in every play....he's flying to the ball, which is more than we can say for a few. His mistakes can be attributed to inexperience...but what excuse does Ike, Ryan, Tyrone, et al have?
Me too, IMHO Timmons is playing really well, all the LB's are doing their jobs.
SteelGhost is offline   Reply With Quote