Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 12-07-2009, 05:59 PM   #21
xbroughneck
Team Captain

Member Number: 5743
Default Re: Tomlin: Some Steelers about to lose jobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteeleReign View Post
I disagree with Timmons being benched. Sure, he's missed a tackle or two & an assignment or two, but he's still learning. In his first year as a starter he missed some games due to injury, so I give him a pass.

The thing I like about him is that he's giving all-out effort & seems to be involved in every play....he's flying to the ball, which is more than we can say for a few. His mistakes can be attributed to inexperience...but what excuse does Ike, Ryan, Tyrone, et al have?
+1

Timmon's problems are due to inexperience. Overruning certain plays are prime examples of his inexperience. He has to learn how to use that speed he has.

Tyrone and Gay are replaceable IMHO. Not that either is horrible. I just don't see Tyrone giving more than he's given (which isn't enough) and I'm not sure I like the way I see William playing corner on this defense. He's ok, but we need better than that opposite Ike.

Ike is what Ike is. He's FAST and he can jam receivers at the line. He's learned decent technique since he's come to the Steelers. He's not an all star, but he's good enough to start.

I think there should be open competition for the starting spot opposite Ike though. There are two CBs we drafted this year that I think can give us at LEAST what William gives us.

If we weren't looking to save money William wouldn't have beaten out McFadden for that starting spot.
Old 12-07-2009, 06:00 PM   #22
Tone's Toes
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 14418

Quote:
I disagree with Timmons being benched. Sure, he's missed a tackle or two & an assignment or two, but he's still learning. In his first year as a starter he missed some games due to injury, so I give him a pass.

The thing I like about him is that he's giving all-out effort & seems to be involved in every play....he's flying to the ball, which is more than we can say for a few. His mistakes can be attributed to inexperience...but what excuse does Ike, Ryan, Tyrone, et al have?
Agreed. He hasn't been perfect, but he's only 23 years old and a first year starter. I also think his struggling is overblown. Our run D isn't that bad and he has 6 sacks and 4 forced fumbles too.
Tone's Toes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 06:07 PM   #23
BIGBENFASTWILLIE
Living Legend

Member Number: 618

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
Let Ben call all the plays - that'll solve everything!
How do you figue. Ben brought us from behind 2 times in the 4th quarter (he wasnt calling the plays).... It is sadly our defense that is causing many loses this year
Old 12-07-2009, 06:12 PM   #24
SteelerEmpire
Team Owner

Member Number: 14355
Thanked 1,740 Times in 801 Posts

Man. Can't miss the next game for anything.... gonna be JUICY !!!!!!!

A HOUSE DIVIDED WILL FALL TO IT'S ENEMIES;
BUT IN UNITY THERE ARE 6' SUPER BOWLS !!!
SteelerEmpire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 06:23 PM   #25
supa_fly_steeler
Banned

Member Number: 15332

Question: Ike [Taylor] had some chances to make some plays and hasn’t. Will he be part of this equation where you’ll be looking at possible changes?
Mike Tomlin: Certainly, certainly. I think that it’s appropriate, that we look at giving some guys some opportunities to see if they can play. What that means, or to what extent that means changes should be made, I think that’s a little bit premature. But I acknowledge that that’s taking place.
supa_fly_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 06:34 PM   #26
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBENFASTWILLIE View Post
How do you figue. Ben brought us from behind 2 times in the 4th quarter (he wasnt calling the plays).... It is sadly our defense that is causing many loses this year
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_656557.html

Quote:
Roethlisberger didn't come up short when he audibled for a keeper on a second-and-8 at the Oakland 19 late in the fourth quarter, picking up a first down on the run that set up the scoring pass to Ward.
Score one for the big guy with the headset and the shoulder pads.
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 06:44 PM   #27
steelerchad
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 5792

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelboy84 View Post
I hope next year that we have the toughest schedule known to man. I want all the big boys: Colts, Giants, Cowboys, Saints, Pats, Eagles, Vikings, all of em. When we play tough teams, we play up to their level. Sad teams, down to their level. 5 of our 6 losses have been to what my cousin calls "roody-poo" teams. Kansas City, Oakland, Bungals twice, and the Bears aren't going anywhere either. Went 15-4 with the toughest schedule in league history with a SB ring.

We need all tough teams. All SB contending teams. We'll bring it every week then.
Too bad you won't get your wish. Next years schedule is already out except for 2 games.
We have the 3 division games 2 times each (bengals, ravens, browns)
AFC East (Pats, Dolphins, Bills, Jets)
NFC South (Panthers, Falcons, Saints, Bucs)
and the last 2 games if we finish 3rd in our division like we are now would be (Raiders, Texans)

hardly the brutal schedule your looking for. In fact very comparable to this years.
steelerchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 06:48 PM   #28
Rick5895
Team President

Member Number: 5148

INteresting opinions here. I will enter the fray with mine. Lewis and Burnett should both start. Let Ike come in as the nickel . I disagree about rmoving Timmons. HIs speed has saved us in some situations.
I think it is time to have Spaeth go the way of the do do bird, the same with the three TE set. Only 1 wr means we are running, not rocket science. I also think Mundy should replace Carter. Of course that is if Mundy keeps his head in the game and stops taking dumb penalties.
Rick5895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 06:48 PM   #29
SteeleReign
Team President

Member Number: 13943

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerchad View Post
Too bad you won't get your wish. Next years schedule is already out except for 2 games.
We have the 3 division games 2 times each (bengals, ravens, browns)
AFC East (Pats, Dolphins, Bills, Jets)
NFC South (Panthers, Falcons, Saints, Bucs)
and the last 2 games if we finish 3rd in our division like we are now would be (Raiders, Texans)

hardly the brutal schedule your looking for. In fact very comparable to this years.
Well, based on our performance to date, I would say that schedule is brutal...
SteeleReign is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 06:52 PM   #30
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656

Quote:
Well, based on our performance to date, I would say that schedule is brutal...
We've already had 4 losses to 3 of those teams this year.

Pay back is a bitch.
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote