Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 12-07-2009, 06:38 PM   #1
Ricco Suavez
Head Coach

Member Number: 7718
Default Unrealistic Fans

I do not post after every loss or win, I enjoy reading the back and forth banter between the left and the right (I'll let you figure which you are). In reading all the posts it has come to my attention that some on here expect a win every game and a playoff berth every year. That is the most absurd notion in the world. Or is it? Honestly I had to sit down and think about this, when was the last game that the Steelers went into that I truly expected a loss, and the game that came to me was the Colts playoff game in "05".Boy did they prove me wrong. Now I do not expect my guys to go undefeated, no. but I really believe they will win every time they take the field. Every season I have aspirations of a Superbowl, so yes I expect playoffs every year. We are so lucky, let me stress this. WE ARE SO LUCKY to be fans of a team that is so consistent that losing comes as a shock to its fans and also a shock and source of embarrassment to the organization. Right now we are finding ways to lose and there seems to be two encampments as whether the offense or defense is to blame, coaches or players. IMO, I think there is more than enough blame to go around and I also believe that the fix is not quite as drastic as some would have you believe. Less injuries, a key play on either side of the ball, some better decisions (again these are easier to see in hindsight) and this team that is sorely underachieving could be 10-2 to 12-0. This team is one season removed from a Superbowl with little personnel changes, I wish I knew what the answer was. I do think this though and anyone who knows the Steelers will agree this organization will not scrap this team, players or coaches. This is not the Rooney way. There will be significant thought put in this and whatever changes will be made the best interest of the club will be foremost and what we think as fans will not come into play. If the Steelers do not make the playoffs I for one will likely not even watch the playoffs. I did not even watch the NY/NE SB. But this year with the Saints being better than ever and them being my most regional team I will pull for them. But one thing for sure I will NEVER wear another teams emblem. The Steelers are my team now for 40+ years and they will be for as long as I draw a breath.
Ricco Suavez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 07:14 PM   #2
pepsyman1
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 10824
Default Re: Unrealistic Fans

I agree with you Ricco...we ARE incredibly lucky to have this franchise to root for. How many years in the last 35 have there been that we expected to have a bad year, or think that our team was incapable of beating any particular opponent? Few and far between....that's also the source of our frustrations on this forum. We all KNOW what we are capable of so when we see our team get what appears to be SO FAR off track we all get frustrated. We just want more STEELER FOOTBALL!!!
pepsyman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 07:35 PM   #3
AllD
Team Owner

Member Number: 11931

Point #1: The expectations of defending a championship like the team did back in the 1970s TWICE, is what makes the team's current play look so awful.

Point #2: There was a complete breakdown in execution by us against teams that have been mediocre for years.

Point #3: Even with the injuries the playing by STs and the secondary have been amateurish and unprofessional. Coaching has also suffered trying to put lipstick on this pig.
Old 12-07-2009, 08:23 PM   #4
SteelC7
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 14419

just because we get pissed wen the steelers lose and talk all kinds of trash about our team wen they dont play to their own level, does NOT meaan we arent big fans, in fact its wat makes us steelers fans the best in sports, we all know alot about football and bottom line, you, and nobody else for that matter, has the authority or audacity to say that any of us arent true fans, we all know wat ur saying, of course we love our team, but we can say whatever we want, thats why were here on steelers fever
SteelC7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 09:54 PM   #5
RowHH
Water Boy

Member Number: 3175

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricco Suavez View Post
WE ARE SO LUCKY to be fans of a team that is so consistent that losing comes as a shock to its fans and also a shock and source of embarrassment to the organization.
Losing doesn't come as a shock. Losing to awful teams like the Chiefs and Raiders comes as a shock.
RowHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 10:12 PM   #6
Stang909
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 4659

I think what is making most of us upset is the fact that we have one of the easiest schedules in the league this year and we are struggling to win games. This team is simply underachieving. Thats not how defending champs should play. Plain and simple.

On Ice or Grass We'll kick your Ass!
Stang909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 10:33 PM   #7
MaidenIndiana
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 10557

While I would love it if the Steelers won the SB every year, I know that is totally unrealistic. Hell I can even accept getting swept by the Bungles, it's not like it's never happened before and even a blind squirrel will find a nut every now and then. What I cannot and will never accept is a team this talented pissing away 4th quarter leads. And let's be honest they haven't lost those leads to teams like the Colts and Patriots, they've lost them against Chicago, Kansas City, the Raiders. The Steelers as a team, and especially the defense, have always had a sense of pride. Even when they clearly weren't the best team in the league. Right now this team is playing like they have no pride. That is simply unacceptable
MaidenIndiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 11:39 PM   #8
BleedBlacknGold0
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 7140

I know the Steelers won't win the Superbowl every year but with this team and schedule I certainly expect it.
BleedBlacknGold0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 11:52 PM   #9
LVSteelersfan
Living Legend

Member Number: 6620

We obviously won't have a first round bye in the playoffs but we are not out of the race yet. I root until the last game the Steelers play every year. I hate this inconsistent play. Everyone knows we should be 10-2 or better right now but due to stupid this and stupid that we have lost a lot of close games. Makes no difference to me. I am still with them through thick and thin until their last breath this year and every year. Thank God we are not still in the Kordell, Brister, Malone and Stoudt years. Now that was pathetic. This team is pathetic due to extreme mediocre play in the 4th quarters of games. But I still think they are one of the better teams talent wise in the NFL.

COACH - Breakfast of Champions !!!
LVSteelersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 07:09 AM   #10
plenewken
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 3447

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVSteelersfan View Post
This team is pathetic due to extreme mediocre play in the 4th quarters of games.
Sunday, I found the offense extremely mediocre during the first 3 quarters. 10 points in 45 minutes against the Raiders, you don't call this mediocre? In my opinion it's more than mediocre, it's p*ss poor.
Then in the 4th Q, the defense fell apart, but they held the Raiders to 6 points until then so they were doing a decent job.

Had the offense played half decent until the 4th quarter, we should have won this game regardless of the defensive meltdown at the end.
plenewken is offline   Reply With Quote