Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 12-08-2009, 06:01 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Which assistant coaches will be fired?

Which assistant coaches will be fired?
http://community.post-gazette.com/bl...k/default.aspx
By Bob Smizik | Tuesday 12:30 a.m.

The most popular byproduct of an unsuccessful NFL season is the opportunity to secure a better position in the draft. Already there are fans of the Steelers, believing they will not make the playoffs, hoping the team will lose the remainder of its games so as to improve its draft status.

There’s some merit to that kind of thinking. Teams like the Steelers, who regularly make the playoffs, usually pick in the bottom quarter of the draft, at which point the true difference-makers often are gone.

Picking, say, 15th could mean more success in the future than picking 28th.

But a better draft slot is not the only positive that can come out of a disappointing season. There’s something more losing by the Steelers could produce that in the minds of the fans would be considerably better than an elevated draft slot.

I speak of the long-held custom, both in the NFL and other sports leagues, of sacrificing assistant coaches.

There’s nothing that would more please many fans than to see something approaching a housecleaning of coach Mike Tomlin’s staff. Fans have such a belief in the power of coaches they many would take the last pick in the draft if Tomlin would unload many -- or all -- of his assistants.

That housecleaning could well happen, although in his three seasons on the job Tomlin has shown little inclination to changes coaches. In what is highly unusual, there has been no turnover on his staff since he succeeded Bill Cowher in 2007.

Having the same staff for a third consecutive season might not seem unusual since the Steelers made the playoffs in Tomlin’s first year and won the Super Bowl in his second. But after Bill Cowher’s first two seasons, both playoffs years with a team that barely knew the playoffs, his staff had a 30 percent turnover. Cowher was demanding of his assistant and after two winning seasons he had a 30 percent turnover -- replacing three of 10 assistants.

Considering what has transpired with the Steelers this year, it’s likely Tomlin will become more active in reshaping his staff than he was in the past.

Already there’s been much speculation about special teams coaches Bob Ligashesky and Amos Jones. The fact the Steelers have had four kickoffs returned for touchdowns against them and that other special team units have been less than satisfactory could well mean that Ligashesky and/or Jones could be gone.

What about other changes?

Offensive coordinator Bruce Arians is the assistant coach the fans would most like to see go. Offensive coordinators are always on the hot seat because many fans think they can call the plays better. Any time a play doesn’t work, even if the offensive line failed to make a block, the blame goes to the coordinator.

I have been a supporter of Arians and continue to be. Maybe his critics can answer this question: If his play-calling is so terrible and so predictable, how is the Steelers offense ranked sixth in the NFL in yards per game? Better yet, how is it third in the AFC behind the Peyton Manning-led Indianapolis Colts and the Tom Brady-led New England Patriots? How is that possible if the play-calling is so predictable?

I understand that yards gained does not win football games. But it sure does say something about play calling and offensive strategy.

The other knock on Arians is that he doesn’t run enough. If not running enough is a bad thing, how is it that the only undefeated team in the AFC is last in the conference in running the ball? If not running enough is a bad thing, how is it that the team that finished 29th (out of 32) in yards per rush last season won the Super Bowl.

All that being said, Arians could well be in trouble. He was appointed by Tomlin but he was a holdover from the Cowher staff, where he was receivers coach. Tomlin might want his own man in such a key position.

Defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau will not be fired. LeBeau is a legend and there’s no more revered man in the Steelers locker room. But at 72, with an aging defense and with the Hall of Fame almost certain to come calling early next year, LeBeau might find this the right time to walk away from a job he handled with style, dignity and football genius.

Among assistants who would appear to be safe are quarterbacks coach Ken Anderson, defensive line coach and assistant head coach John Mitchell (a Cowher holdover), linebackers coach Keith Butler (Cowher holdover), tight ends coach James Daniels (Cowher holdovr), wide receivers coach Randy Fichtner and running backs coach Kirby Wilson.

Among those whose jobs could be in jeopardy are defensive backfield coach Ray Horton, offensive line coach Larry Zierlein, Ligashesky and Jones.

The fact Tomlin has yet to fire an assistant coach should not be taken as a sign of weakness or indecision but rather that he liked the jobs they were doing. And it doesn’t mean he won’t make changes after this season. He will do what it takes to improve the team.

And if he does, he’ll make a lot of fans happy.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 06:22 AM   #2
Texasteel
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 8323
Default Re: Which assistant coaches will be fired?

It is hard for me to believe that a fan of the Steelers would actually hope they loose any games. No matter what the circumstance is. How ever, I know there are some that will.

Simply, The Chief.
Texasteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 06:41 AM   #3
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasteel View Post
It is hard for me to believe that a fan of the Steelers would actually hope they loose any games. No matter what the circumstance is. How ever, I know there are some that will.
Agreed.

IF they were to lose the rest of their games, I look forward to the draft possibilities....but would never "hope" they would lose to give us a better draft slot. Besides, teams that draft well will trade up (Polamalu), or trade down for more draft picks depending on where the talent lies.

It is complete nonsense for any fan to hope we "lose out" when there is a possibility of a 10-6 season.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 07:45 AM   #4
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

I can see BA getting fired along with the o-line coach
Dickie LeBeau will probably stay
ST coaches not just fired but FIRED!

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 08:00 AM   #5
vasteeler
Team President

Member Number: 3341

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlrtruck View Post
I can see BA getting fired along with the o-line coach
Dickie LeBeau will probably stay
ST coaches not just fired but FIRED!
I kind of thought DL might hang it up after this year but now I can see at least one more year. I dont think he would want to go out after having a bad defensive year
vasteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 08:11 AM   #6
LamarrWoodleysFade
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 13538

I hate when people use the old "well if such and such is ranked this way, how could it be bad?"

The D is ranked top 3 in the NFL, does that mean it's doing well? Lol No. Rankings don't mean a damn thing nor do they tell the whole story.

Is the Offense terrible? Not by any strech, but that doesn't change the fact that his play calling is questionable more times than not...

Side Note: save all that bullshit about how Arians isn't to blame. He isn't the SOLE reason, but he can share some blame along with everybody else.
LamarrWoodleysFade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 09:07 AM   #7
Steeldude
Living Legend

Quote:
It is hard for me to believe that a fan of the Steelers would actually hope they loose any games
i doubt most fans would be hoping for a loss when watching the game. it really depends on the situation. if your team is 0-15 and another team is 0-15; you could grab the #1 spot. the #1 player could be a huge difference for a position you are in dire need of help.

i wouldn't be hoping for a loss or booing, but i wouldn't be upset with the loss, in the scenario above, as i would from other losses. that particular loss would be beneficial to the team. personally i would start some players on the bench to see what they have and what they could do for the team. it would also give them some real game experience.
Old 12-08-2009, 10:43 AM   #8
KeiselPower99
Living Legend

Member Number: 8552

What a minute. We have 2 Special Teams coaches?? That right there might be why we cant do anything. 2 differant guys in your ear makes ya wanna tune em out. Im kinda old school in thinking and think Tomlin is as well that why fire a guy unless you are sure the guy you replace him with is better.
Old 12-08-2009, 10:46 AM   #9
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
i doubt most fans would be hoping for a loss when watching the game. it really depends on the situation. if your team is 0-15 and another team is 0-15; you could grab the #1 spot. the #1 player could be a huge difference for a position you are in dire need of help.

i wouldn't be hoping for a loss or booing, but i wouldn't be upset with the loss, in the scenario above, as i would from other losses. that particular loss would be beneficial to the team. personally i would start some players on the bench to see what they have and what they could do for the team. it would also give them some real game experience.
Totally disagree with the above scenerio.

I dont want to be ANYWHERE in the top 5. A top 5 pick is the punishment you get for a bad season... If I was 0-15...I would be PRAYING that we would win the last game so as to not have a #1 overall pick that demands the highest dollar for a talent level potentially equal to picks 2-10.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 02:44 PM   #10
AllD
Team Owner

Member Number: 11931

#1 pick is getting the D lineman from Nebraska.