Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 12-09-2009, 05:55 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Steelers' OLB to teammates: 'Do your job'

Steelers' OLB to teammates: 'Do your job'
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...s_656815.html#

By Scott Brown
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, December 9, 2009

As coach Mike Tomlin ponders change, several Steelers said the key to snapping a four-game losing streak may lie in something as simple as players not overextending themselves.

And outside linebacker James Harrison had a message for whoever is playing defense for the Steelers on Thursday night in Cleveland.

"Do your job, and after you did your job, then you can help your partner," said Harrison, one of the Steelers' defensive co-captains. "But don't worry about helping your partner until you do your job. If you don't do your part, then the defense breaks down. If you take care of your part and the other 10 guys do the same thing, then we should be fine."

If the Steelers weren't in such a dire situation they almost certainly have to win their last four games to make the playoffs they might able to appreciate the irony: Freelancing has evidently become an issue while the player most associated with that style, strong safety Troy Polamalu, is sidelined with a knee injury.

The perception that some players are trying to do too much may be a result of the struggles the defense has experienced late in games.

The Steelers are fifth in the NFL in total defense (297.3 yards per game), but they are giving up just over an average of 105 yards in the fourth quarter this season. Of the six games the Steelers have lost, they had fourth-quarter leads in five of them.

"When you're put in these situations over and over again and keep coming up short, I think guys tend to press," said inside linebacker James Farrior, who is also a defensive captain. "It's just human nature to try to do more, to try to get better, try to help somebody out, but in actuality, it sometimes hurts you even worse."

Casey Hampton agreed.

"I think guys have been pressing a little too much, trying to do too much, and that's not us," the veteran nose tackle said. "We pride ourselves on being an unselfish defense, and everybody just taking care of their job and not trying to make plays that's not your play to make. I think when we do that, we'll be OK."

The Steelers are mired in their worst losing streak since 2003, and they are in enough of a funk that Tomlin said earlier this week he is considering shaking up the team.

Tomlin said the Steelers want to take a long look at rookie cornerbacks Joe Burnett and Keenan Lewis. What that means for starters Ike Taylor and William Gay remains to be seen.

Gay practiced yesterday despite sustaining a concussion late Sunday, and he could play against the Browns. Taylor, meanwhile, got a tad defensive when asked how he would react if he had to accept a reduced role.

"There ain't nothing I can do but just keep playing football," said Taylor, who lost his starting job in 2006. "We're going to get criticized, regardless of what we do."

Asked if he expects to start in Thursday's 8:20 p.m. game, Taylor said, "No question."

There didn't appear to be much questioning inside a subdued locker room yesterday of Tomlin's decision to at least consider making major changes.

"He's the head man. He's got decisions to make, and we're trying to win some games around here," defensive end Brett Keisel said. "We're trying to win a game. You can't fault him for trying to do that."

Hampton said Tomlin struck the right tone when he said Monday that he was re-evaluating all aspects of the Steelers, including the makeup of the team's starting lineup.

"I think guys definitely need to be challenged," Hampton said. "I believe in the coach, and I think he's going to put the 11 guys out there that are going to give us the best opportunity to win."

Free safety Ryan Clark said he hopes the players that have been starting in the secondary get the opportunity to turn things around. But, Clark added, "They don't pay us to compete. They don't pay us to keep it close. They pay us to win football games, and when you don't win football games, they try to figure out why."

Scott Brown can be reached at sbrown@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 07:48 AM   #2
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398
Default Re: Steelers' OLB to teammates: 'Do your job'

I repeat:

Quote:
LIP SERVICE
LIP SERVICE
LIP SERVICE
until they do what they talk about....it doesn't matter. I've grown deaf to the speeches!

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 07:55 AM   #3
Steeldude
Living Legend

Quote:
"I think guys definitely need to be challenged," Hampton said. "I believe in the coach, and I think he's going to put the 11 guys out there that are going to give us the best opportunity to win."
i wonder how hampton would feel if they start hoke.
Old 12-09-2009, 08:16 AM   #4
SteeleReign
Team President

Member Number: 13943

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlrtruck View Post
I repeat:

until they do what they talk about....it doesn't matter. I've grown deaf to the speeches!
True dis...
SteeleReign is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 08:17 AM   #5
KeiselPower99
Living Legend

Member Number: 8552

Talk is cheap.
Old 12-09-2009, 08:47 AM   #6
PalmerSteel
Team Captain

Member Number: 3520

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
i wonder how hampton would feel if they start hoke.

lol, exactly. me thinks he is trying to get some brownie points with the boss man to make sure he isnt one of the changes being made.
PalmerSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 08:48 AM   #7
The_WARDen
Head Coach

Member Number: 7628

Quote:
I repeat:

but this time they really really really really promise to fix it.
After reading the idiotic threads over the past couple of weeks, I ask the question - "Who is worse...Steeler fans or Eagles fans?" Keep in mind that Eagle fans do not know what it's like to win a SB much less 6 and 2 this decade.
The_WARDen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 09:37 AM   #8
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Quote:
I repeat:

I'm not sure what you expect them to say. That "we suck and will not win another game?"
Old 12-09-2009, 09:45 AM   #9
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
I'm not sure what you expect them to say. That "we suck and will not win another game?"
I don't expect them to say "We suck" but stop telling me you're going to fix it and not do a damn thing about it.

What I expect is for them to stop giving lip service and do something different on the field in all aspects of the game. It seems lately they've been able to tell us all that there is a problem and we know what it is and we're going to fix it but when they get out on the field there is no effort to fix it (imo).

Stop talking, start doing!That's what I expect!

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 10:03 AM   #10
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,624 Times in 813 Posts

Silverback is completely right. You can see him compete on every down and look after his gap, but I think with backups in there(Eason, Carter and an underperforming CB tandem) the tendency is for the other starters to try and "help out"....and they are getting burned.

Hamp has played well. Nobody is collapsing the pocket like Aaron Smith did. In fact I saw Hood handfighting a lot in pass rush last game instead of trying to get upfield. Circle the wagons and get after Brady Quinn!!!!