Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 12-09-2009, 09:19 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Cleveland’s Quinn has long history of dislike for Steelers

Cleveland’s Quinn has long history of dislike for Steelers
By TOM WITHERS
Associated Press
http://www.tribune-democrat.com/pros...342231432.html

BEREA, Ohio — Like so many Ohio kids raised on football, Brady Quinn developed a strong distaste for everything Pittsburgh Steelers.

Growing up a die-hard Browns fan, Cleveland’s quarterback learned from an early age that those neighbors from Pennsylvania wearing black and gold were the enemy, Iron City villains to be despised and beaten whenever possible. Quinn’s heroes wore brown and orange.

So which of the Steelers did he hate most? Jerome Bettis? Rod Woodson? Greg Lloyd? Bill Cowher?

“I don’t know,” Quinn said on Tuesday. “I wasn’t really fond of any of them. That’s usually how it works.”

Quinn, who has been showing signs he could blossom into a solid NFL starter, will face Cleveland’s bitter – and much better – rival for the first time as a pro when the Browns (1-11) host the suddenly stumbling Steelers (6-6) on Thursday night.

When the teams met on Oct. 18 at Heinz Field, Quinn watched from the sideline as the Steelers won their 12th straight over the Browns, 27-14. He had lost his starting job to Derek Anderson a few weeks earlier, benched after two starts by coach Eric Mangini.

Quinn has been back under center for five starts, and it’s his turn to try and end the Steelers’ utter dominance over the Browns – 18 wins in 19 games since 2000. Cleveland hasn’t beaten Pittsburgh since Oct. 5, 2003, when Tim Couch directed the Browns to a 33-13 win.

Since then, Kelly Holcomb, Jeff Garcia, Trent Dilfer, Charlie Frye, Anderson and Bruce Gradkowski – who directed Oakland to a comeback win over Pittsburgh last week – all have failed to knock off the Steelers.

Quinn’s up. But is he up to it?

He’s coming off a three-touchdown, 271-yard performance against San Diego, Quinn’s second impressive outing in his last three games.

After throwing one TD pass and five interceptions in his first three starts, he has seven TDs and not a single pick in his past three.

Quinn has thrown 126 consecutive passes without an interception, the second-longest active streak in the league.

“I’m just trying to make good decisions, trying to take care of the football,” he said.

“It always gives us a chance to win. The only statistic that really matters is wins and losses.

“We’re still searching for that win.”

Quinn is 0-7 as a starter this season and 1-9 in his stop-and-start pro career. He says he feels more comfortable than at any time in three years and believes he can develop into the quarterback Cleveland banked on

getting when they selected him in the first round of the 2007 draft.

“I hope so,” he said. “That’s the intent. I’ve always felt that was my ability and everything. I just have to continue to grow and mature and learn and get better.”

Mangini was impressed with Quinn’s ability to handle San Diego’s defense, which like Pittsburgh’s, blitzes from every angle. While there have been questions about the QB’s arm strength, Quinn’s football IQ has never been challenged.

“I thought he did a nice job IDing (identifying) where the pressure was coming from,” Mangini said. “He changed some of the protection calls on the line of scrimmage to get us to a point where we had the numbers to pick it up and that opened up some things.

“The one thing about him is he’ll study it, he’ll pick up some things from the first game even though he wasn’t playing and there’s also going to be some variations of things that are unique to us.”

Pittsburgh has dropped four straight games for the first time since 2003, placing the defending Super Bowl champions in jeopardy of missing the playoffs.

Opponents have been successful in spreading out the Steelers defense with four- and five-receiver sets. With Pro Bowl safety Troy Polamalu sidelined with knee injuries, teams have found a soft spot in the middle of the field that’s not been there before.

Quinn isn’t counting on Polamalu’s absence to aid the Browns, who have lost

10 straight home games.

“Clearly not having him on the field takes something away from them, but Tyrone Carter does a great job filling in for that spot,” Quinn said. “Believe me, they’ll be ready to go.”

He’s prepared, too.

And in what has been an unusually rough season in a decade of rough seasons in Cleveland, nothing would warm the hearts of Browns fans more than a victory over the hated Steelers.

“I don’t want to put too much on this game,” Quinn said. “It’s a big game for us because it’s the next one. Obviously, it’s a rivalry game. We know what Pittsburgh brings to the table and all of the success they’ve had. It’s a big game for us, but it is just the next game for us.”
print this story
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 07:25 AM   #2
CargoJon
Starter

Member Number: 4796
Default Re: Cleveland’s Quinn has long history of dislike for Steelers

Good, I have a strong dislike for fancy-boy, whiny QB's that are over-hyped and under-perform.
CargoJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 07:39 AM   #3
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 12999
Thanked 1,179 Times in 492 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CargoJon View Post
Good, I have a strong dislike for fancy-boy, whiny QB's that are over-hyped and under-perform.
+1. I couldn't wait to face this sucker the moment Cleveland drafted him and his queer little smirk. Me and my brother call him "finger" because if you look at him, he is put together weird and from his head down to his lower neck, he looks like a finger!

So, I'm looking forward to sending the finger to his mommy and daddy while they sing his Cleveland lullaby's of the Drive, and the Comeback!

^ Boy lover

Last edited by StainlessStill; 12-10-2009 at 07:50 AM.
StainlessStill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 07:50 AM   #4
The_WARDen
Head Coach

Member Number: 7628

All I know is that when he throws a pick, I hope Harrison seeks him out and destroys him before he gets a change to cheapshot somebody like he did Suggs.

The punk ass needs to be introduced properly to the NFL.
After reading the idiotic threads over the past couple of weeks, I ask the question - "Who is worse...Steeler fans or Eagles fans?" Keep in mind that Eagle fans do not know what it's like to win a SB much less 6 and 2 this decade.
The_WARDen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 08:35 AM   #5
KeiselPower99
Living Legend

Member Number: 8552

See here. He is from Columbus. Went to Notre Dame. Grew up a Browns fan and is now their Qb. Yep I dont like him much either.
Old 12-10-2009, 08:55 AM   #6
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

What concerns me about this game is our secondary and the fact that lately the browns passing game has been doing well.

But that still doesn't change my dislike for all things brown!

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 10:06 AM   #7
BrowniesSuck.com
Water Boy

Member Number: 4990

Go Steelers.

- BrowniesSuck.com
BrowniesSuck.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 01:12 PM   #8
markymarc
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 2292

Well hopefully our defense will make Brady Quinn look like the punk he is and not an all pro NFL QB It's time to bring the pain defense. I want LeBeau to unleash Hell tonight in the snow and wind!
markymarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 01:44 PM   #9
WH

Member Number:

When Bruce Gradkowski threw three touchdowns against the Steelers, after the anger of the loss boiled down, I was a little happy for him. That was probably his dream when he was growing up in the Burgh.

Now Brady Quinn on the other hand, I hope nothing remains of him besides shadows and dust.

(The Gladiator references just keep stacking up ladies and gentlemen)

Last edited by WH; 12-10-2009 at 03:13 PM.
Old 12-10-2009, 02:15 PM   #10
stb_steeler
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 14315

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeiselPower99 View Post
See here. He is from Columbus. Went to Notre Dame. Grew up a Browns fan and is now their Qb. Yep I dont like him much either.
Funny thing. Here in my home town the paper states he grew up a long time Steeler fan.
Yeah i know i dont believe it either.....

Might as well dress em in skirts!
stb_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote