Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Draft

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 01-27-2006, 02:41 PM   #11
MichiSteeler
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 959
Default Re: 2006 Draft

I'd like to see us either take a big back, by trading up and getting LenDale hopefully. Or a defensive end, like Elvis Dumerville, or the best DE available.

"The Steelers drafted guys who were bigger, stronger and faster than I, but they never found one who could take my job away from me."- Jack Lambert

Go Buckeyes and Spartans!
MichiSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 02:52 PM   #12
nu4everfan15
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 1056

im not sure but from wat i have heard bout dumerville he is way too small to play in a 3-4... hes like a dwight freeney type player
nu4everfan15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 02:58 PM   #13
BlackNGold203
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1217

with Parker coming off a 1200 yd year... I doubt they go RB in the 1st round...
I gotta believe they will look at OL or WR...
Isn't Breaston a local kid???
Old 01-27-2006, 03:04 PM   #14
MNsteelers
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 841

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dook
I rank the needs in this order:

#1 WR
Randel El is likely gone. Hines is still the #1 WR with Wilson as our #2. Quincy Morgan or Nate Washington should compete for the slot and #3 WR spot but I'd love to see us get Martin Nance or Hank Baskett so we can begin developing for the future. Also, what if Hines gets hurt?

Nate Washington was on the practice squad until Q got hurt? What makes you think he will instantly compete for a third WR spot?

While Mel Kiper was bashing him pretty good, the Steelers have an excellent chance to land Derek Hagan of ASU. He didn't work out incredibly well during the Senior Bowl, but his on-the-field results shouldn't be ignored. I am also a fan of Avant out of Michigan in maybe the second or third round if the No. 1 goes elsewhere.

#2 RB
Duce may be gone but I think we give him a chance next year to see if he can produce and we still have Willie Parker. Verron is probably never going to be more than a #3 so I'd like to see us get another big back like Cedric Hume if he's available

Good call. Haynes isn't more than a 3, and will likely be out of Pittsburgh next year. Duce is more valuable to us on the roster than off it (cutting him would bring a decent sized cap hit against us) and since the odds of LenDale White falling to 31 or 32 are about as strong as Mike Martz winning the next four Super Bowls, you can bet Duce will be around next year. Get a good third down back somewhere in this draft.

#3 OL
Hartings may or may not retire. He's still capable but he will need to restructure if he stays because his $7m isn't going to allow us to pay others. His backup, Kemo, may get the start but I would get the best talent available.

Kemo is not the backup center, it's Chukky Okobi, who signed an extension two years ago that is going to pay him starting center money next year. It's up to Hartings, but the Steelers organization insured the chance of him retiring this off season. Okobi is their guy if Hartings can't go.

#4 LB
I just don't think the talent available is better than what we have but we need to look for added depth. Porter gets $5m next year and we just can't keep paying him that kind of money. I really think that we will have no choice but to let him go after next year.

What??? LET JOEY PORTER GO?!? Are you serious? This is one of the weaker linebacker drafts in recent memory, and Joey Porter is one of the best in the game at his position. The last thing the Steelers are doing is cutting Joey Porter after next season and draft a rookie to start in a year. Depth is a factor at this position, as both James Harrison and Andre Frazier were hurt at different times this season.

#5 QB
Need a #3.

Ehh...who cares? Just keep Brian St. Pierre or his younger equivilant close by for the No. 3 QB. Maddox is going to go after this season, and Batch filled in well this season (all things considered).
MNsteelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 03:06 PM   #15
MNsteelers
Bench Warmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu4everfan15
im not sure but from wat i have heard bout dumerville he is way too small to play in a 3-4... hes like a dwight freeney type player
Yes, Dumervil is entirely too small to play DE in the 3-4. Hell, he's not even big enough to play OLB in the 3-4. The only chance he would have in this defense would be ILB, and that's not a position worthy of taking someone who would have to make a huge adjustment before he'd be ready to go. Dumervil will be taken by a team playing Cover 2.
Old 01-27-2006, 03:10 PM   #16
MNsteelers
Bench Warmer

Looking back at the last few drafts, DE is the one position the Steelers haven't successfully addressed. The big thing with a DE in a 3-4 is he has to be big. Aaron Smith, Kimo VonOelhoffen, you're talking 6-foot-5, 270 pounds. It's no coincidence both Kimo and Smitty were D-tackles in college, and VO was a tackle in Cincinnati before he came to Pittsburgh. If Pittsburgh wants to start shoring up some depth at DE, especially in this year's draft (since there's no chance in hell a freak like Mario Williams falls that far), they're going to look for a guy with great size, strength, and the ability to tie up blockers and are tough at the point of attack. The DE in the 3-4 doesn't rush the passer, he holds up the linemen to let the linebackers run free. Size, wingspan, off-the-ball quickness....that's what they're looking for.
Old 01-27-2006, 03:15 PM   #17
nu4everfan15
Draft Prospect

i look for de next year... there are alot more de's that suit the 3-4 coming out next year
Old 01-27-2006, 03:23 PM   #18
smashmouth
Water Boy

Member Number: 1463

They need to get a power inside short yardage back. Another free saefty or corner with speed and hard hitting to free up Troy on defense schemes. OL for insurance in case of injury.
smashmouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 03:32 PM   #19
nu4everfan15
Draft Prospect

i thought free safety as well... sign chris hope to a 1 yr contract and then get rid of him after the next draft pick gets the defense and gets a year in system
Old 01-27-2006, 03:38 PM   #20
JerseySTEEL
Team Captain

Member Number: 284

Wow u guys need to do some research before u make such bad team needs lists lol.

The real team needs are.

1.DE:Von and kesial will be FA's this year, and Von will be turning 32. If we draft a DE in the 1st it helps us in not having to pay a WR big money for a 1st round selction.

Rod wright DT form texas,FSU DT Broderick Bunkley,Miami DT Orien Harris- All these guys have what it takes to switch from DT to DE in our 3-4 defensive scheme.

2.OC:The running agme is our bread a butter, and we can't over look someone syaing he might retire, and if we can win this superbowl we could see 2-3 retireing on our squad.Hartings aslo has a big cap numebr and with us 4 million over we might have to drop him.

Nick mangold in roudn 3 would be perfect, i wa shigh on mike degory earlier but mangold has come on in the senior bowl practice's.

3.WR:EL, morey, and morgan will be FA's.Wr's we don't go for ealry 2-4 rounders.

MRob has showen great skills as aWR in pratcice so far and could get him late.Maruce stovall also maybe our buy with his blocking skills and size.

4.RB:With duce unable to stay healthy, haynes a FA , parker a good starter but needs help and Bettis retiring we need soem depth and only reason why Rb is this high is BC its our focal point.

Mike Bell is a greta fit in our shcmee and w ecould steal in very late.

5.CB: Townsend,taylor will be Fa's but taylor is a RFA so we keep him but williw williams is older then disco and we need depth.i say we will go int he 2nd round for a CB liek we have doen 2 years ina row now.

i love cedric griffin from texas in th2 2nd.