Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

 Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **


Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2009, 11:28 PM   #1
Dylan
Starter
 

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 614
Member Number: 3276
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Taylor Mays

In my opinion the Steelers are going to use their first pick this year on a Defensive back...The devensive backs are the strength of the draft this year...while I would love to see theSsteelers get Eric Berry, I dont think that will happen..because the the steelers will have a top 20-25 pick....so I say the Steelers take Taylor Mays out of USC

Mays was considered a top 5 pick a year ago...but has struggled this year. A couple reasons for that is he lost a very good supporting class in Rey Maualuga, Clay Matthews, Brian Cushing, etc...(i know, not a good excuse), but losing so many other great players will hurt a player in some way or another. Coming to Pittsburgh, Mays would be around a good supporting cast and would also learn from Polamalu and Lebeau

Mays biggest problem is his coverage...however, he hits like Ryan Clark, maybe even a little harder, and is a freakin speed demon. Also, he has good instincts...but since he is weak in pass coverage, I really believe he will slide to the bottom of the first round this year (excluding combine work out,etc) But the coverage problem doesn't bother me for 2 reasons:
1. Dick Lebeau, nuff said
2. At worst he is a younger more energetic Ryan Clark

Mays will look very good in Black n' Gold....and it would be awesome to see him and former Trojan, Troy Polamalu play side-by-side.

Opinions welcome, offer constructive criticism, i will try to explain if not well you got me....also i do know this is to early to predict a pick, so this is subject to change, but as of now, Mays is the pick

Steelers fan always, no matter what the record
Dylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 12:31 AM   #2
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter
 
MasterOfPuppets's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 14,443
Gender: Male
Member Number: 1990
Thanks: 968
Thanked 4,242 Times in 1,803 Posts
Default Re: Taylor Mays

so you want a free safety that can't cover but makes big hits....we've got one of those...his name is ryan clark. personaly i'd prefer a FS that actually does what a free safety is supposed to do... help out the cb's in pass defense.. you know...like that reed fella does in bmore. at the beginning of the year i would've been and was all for mays, but after watching some usc games this year and actually seeing him take a step backwards in his pass coverage, i don't know if i'd use a 2nd rd pick on him. mays = roy williams
MasterOfPuppets is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 12:48 AM   #3
volkmire
Water Boy
 

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 20
Member Number: 3279
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Taylor Mays

I would be very happy if the Steelers could draft Joe Haden, Rolando McClain, or Earl Thomas. Either way, I don't know how you could lose drafting one of these players. Where the Steelers are going to draft, there is a good chance they could get one of these players.

I am a huge fan of Rolando McClain as I can vision him being a potential defensive leader of the Steelers in the future. Not only is he gifted as an athlete, he has a lot of football smarts as well. Barring any serious injuries or whatever else, I can see this guy playing in the NFL for the next decade.

The only question I have about Earl Thomas is if his small frame can hold up for a long time in the NFL. Make no mistake that he is a true football player and he will give it his all on every snap. He does well against the pass and run. I'd be excited to see him teaming up with Polamalu. Imagine how much fear these two would give against the opposing quarterbacks!

Joe Haden will probably be selected very early in the draft. I would not rule it out due to the fact I can't figure why some teams wouldn't draft this player. Also the fact because the Steelers organization is known to trade up and draft a player they love. I suspect his biggest weakness is being confused with certain types of defense he has to play. I think that is coachable and can be corrected.

Taylor Mays would make me nervous if he is drafted by the Steelers because I cannot help but get flashbacks of Anthony Smith.
volkmire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 02:08 AM   #4
augustashark
Assistant Coach
 
augustashark's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,432
Member Number: 900
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Taylor Mays

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkmire View Post
I would be very happy if the Steelers could draft Joe Haden, Rolando McClain, or Earl Thomas. Either way, I don't know how you could lose drafting one of these players. Where the Steelers are going to draft, there is a good chance they could get one of these players.

I am a huge fan of Rolando McClain as I can vision him being a potential defensive leader of the Steelers in the future. Not only is he gifted as an athlete, he has a lot of football smarts as well. Barring any serious injuries or whatever else, I can see this guy playing in the NFL for the next decade.

The only question I have about Earl Thomas is if his small frame can hold up for a long time in the NFL. Make no mistake that he is a true football player and he will give it his all on every snap. He does well against the pass and run. I'd be excited to see him teaming up with Polamalu. Imagine how much fear these two would give against the opposing quarterbacks!

Joe Haden will probably be selected very early in the draft. I would not rule it out due to the fact I can't figure why some teams wouldn't draft this player. Also the fact because the Steelers organization is known to trade up and draft a player they love. I suspect his biggest weakness is being confused with certain types of defense he has to play. I think that is coachable and can be corrected.

Taylor Mays would make me nervous if he is drafted by the Steelers because I cannot help but get flashbacks of Anthony Smith.

I understand that Mays has taken a step back from last year but your take is a little extreme. Anthony Smith??? really? I don't think Smith is even near the talent of Mays. You have to draft smart though, you can't reach for Mays just because of last year and you can't pass on him just because of this year. He will most likely be one of the most talked about guys when it comes to "will he be jr year mays or sr year mays".
__________________
LOS MOLINO.
augustashark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 03:55 AM   #5
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter
 
MasterOfPuppets's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 14,443
Gender: Male
Member Number: 1990
Thanks: 968
Thanked 4,242 Times in 1,803 Posts
Default Re: Taylor Mays

Quote:
Originally Posted by augustashark View Post
I understand that Mays has taken a step back from last year but your take is a little extreme. Anthony Smith??? really? I don't think Smith is even near the talent of Mays. You have to draft smart though, you can't reach for Mays just because of last year and you can't pass on him just because of this year. He will most likely be one of the most talked about guys when it comes to "will he be jr year mays or sr year mays".
but his jr year wasn't all that spectacular.....at least not from a pass defense standpoint. he had 0 interceptions last year, and only has 4 in his college carrear. the guy has the physical tools to be a great safety, but the question is, can he be coached up at the nfl level ? the steelers already have a safety that can play like an extra lber...what they need now is a safety that can make plays in pass defense. a ballhawk like ed reed.
MasterOfPuppets is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 03:57 AM   #6
Preacher
Living Legend
 

Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,890
Member Number: 16327
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Re: Taylor Mays

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
but his jr year wasn't all that spectacular.....at least not from a pass defense standpoint. he had 0 interceptions last year, and only has 4 in his college carrear. the guy has the physical tools to be a great safety, but the question is, can he be coached up at the nfl level ? the steelers already have a safety that can play like an extra lber...what they need now is a safety that can make plays in pass defense. a ballhawk like ed reed.
And a CB that can ballhawk too. I HOPE burnett can, but not from what he's shown this year the few times he's been in.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 05:16 AM   #7
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter
 
MasterOfPuppets's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 14,443
Gender: Male
Member Number: 1990
Thanks: 968
Thanked 4,242 Times in 1,803 Posts
Default Re: Taylor Mays

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
And a CB that can ballhawk too. I HOPE burnett can, but not from what he's shown this year the few times he's been in.
there's not a ton of quality CB's in the draft IMO... outside of haden, i'd guess maybe, 1 other cb might be drafted in the first, and he'll probably end up as a safety.
MasterOfPuppets is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 07:56 AM   #8
Texasteel
Living Legend
Supporter
 
Texasteel's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Dallas, Tx
Posts: 3,638
Gender: Male
Member Number: 8323
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Taylor Mays

I like the 3 players the volkmire mentioned but don't think we will get high enough for Haden, or McClain. Thomas is for real IMO. and at 5'11" 195lb. may not be as small as you may think. A couple other player I want to watch from here on is Reshard Jones, and Major Wright.

Still think I like Church and Johnson in the mid rounds as well.
__________________


Simply, The Chief.
Texasteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 08:04 AM   #9
Texasteel
Living Legend
Supporter
 
Texasteel's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Dallas, Tx
Posts: 3,638
Gender: Male
Member Number: 8323
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Taylor Mays

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
there's not a ton of quality CB's in the draft IMO... outside of haden, i'd guess maybe, 1 other cb might be drafted in the first, and he'll probably end up as a safety.
I think you may right MOP, which make Haden even more attractive if he was available. If the 2nd player you are talking about is Ras-I Dowling I agree he may play the safety position.

Kyle Wilson, and Donovan Warren are two others that may be worth a look.
__________________


Simply, The Chief.
Texasteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 09:08 AM   #10
Dylan
Starter
 

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 614
Member Number: 3276
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Taylor Mays

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
so you want a free safety that can't cover but makes big hits....we've got one of those...his name is ryan clark. personaly i'd prefer a FS that actually does what a free safety is supposed to do... help out the cb's in pass defense.. you know...like that reed fella does in bmore. at the beginning of the year i would've been and was all for mays, but after watching some usc games this year and actually seeing him take a step backwards in his pass coverage, i don't know if i'd use a 2nd rd pick on him. mays = roy williams
ok i see where you are coming from, however clark is getting up there in age and safety's start to decline...look at tyson jackson, he had a down year his senior year and was the 3rd pick in the draft by the chiefs....and mays does have the ability to be a great pass defender....he just needs to be coached
Dylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum
no new posts