Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 12-10-2009, 11:17 PM   #1
madtowndrunkard
Team Captain

Member Number: 11280
Default Mike Tomlin = Barry Switzer?

There are plenty of similarities.

Took over a great team for a HOF coach.

Won a SB in his second season.

Team completely implodes in his 4th season. The writing was on the wall in season 3 though that Switzer was in over his head.

Most consider Switzer's SB trophy to be the property of Jimmy Johnson and the players he coached. One could argue the same with Mike Tomlin and our SB trophy last season. After all that was Bill Cowher's team and staff running Bill Cowher's schemes. This year the offense has clearly taken a different approach and has failed miserably.

I'm sure I'll get plenty of bashing for even bringing this up, but fact of the matter is it's worthy of discussion. Was Mike Tomlin's early success riding on the waves created by Bill Cowher and his staff? Even during Cowhers worst of years he didn't have anywhere near the talent Tomlin has right now.

People bring up the 8-8 season after our 05 SB. The two seasons are not comparable at all....Ben nearly killed him self prior to that season and totally stunk for most of that season and was the primary reason we failed to make the playoffs. Though the team never gave up and finished the season winning 6 of their last 8 games. This year the team has completely fell apart after a solid start and is now arguably the worst team in the league.

With the talent we have you cannot ignore the coaches when looking at blame. We are going down in the history books as the biggest under achievers the NFL has ever seen. You can't blame injuries for losing to the Browns, Raiders, and Chiefs. This season is a total failure on epic proportions.

I seriously do wonder if Mike Tomlin isn't the next Barry Switzer. We'll find out next year. It will be up to Tomlin to prove if he's truly a good coach.

If Tomlin does not fire Arians and the STs' coaches then he's not a good leader...let alone good coach.
madtowndrunkard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 11:20 PM   #2
Steeler
Banned

Member Number: 15500
Default Re: Mike Tomlin = Barry Switzer?

Mike Tomlin = Barry Switzer?

YES
Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 11:30 PM   #3
Vincent
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 10927

I used to marvel at BS (yes ladies and gentlemen, those are his initials) on the sideline gazing at his surroundings with that vacant expression. I used to yell at the TV "Barry! You're at a football game!! And you're the head coach!". I never got through to him though.

Siffert was another one in Carolina. "George!! Wake up!!. Its over and the people are going home." He used to actually sleep standing up on the sidelines. It was spectacular.

Tomlin is yet another one.

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress & the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution,
but overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution."

Abraham Lincoln
Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 11:33 PM   #4
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,624 Times in 813 Posts

No, I think Tomlin knew he had the nucleus of a good team and philosopy here, so he didnt blow it up. He didnt impose a 4-3 when he had one of the best 3-4 defenses in football. He didnt mess with the offensive continuity, since he had something relatively successful and progressing.

The thing that will be interesting is if Mike Tomlin believes he has to get back to his coaching roots and look at playing a Tampa-2 defense and having a strong run game (like in Tampa with Dunn and Alstott) and a passing game to compliment it(as with Brad Johnson). I think Tomlin might just decide to now do it his way.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:42 PM   #5
madtowndrunkard
Team Captain

Member Number: 11280

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
No, I think Tomlin knew he had the nucleus of a good team and philosopy here, so he didnt blow it up. He didnt impose a 4-3 when he had one of the best 3-4 defenses in football. He didnt mess with the offensive continuity, since he had something relatively successful and progressing.

The thing that will be interesting is if Mike Tomlin believes he has to get back to his coaching roots and look at playing a Tampa-2 defense and having a strong run game (like in Tampa with Dunn and Alstott) and a passing game to compliment it(as with Brad Johnson). I think Tomlin might just decide to now do it his way.

Barry Switzer didn't mess with this team either. Switzer was also criticized for being soft and letting his veteran players do what ever they wanted. Switzer let his STs coaches run the show. Switzer was not the leader of his team and wasn't capable of "leading" an NFL team.

Sound familiar?
madtowndrunkard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 11:50 PM   #6
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,624 Times in 813 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by madtowndrunkard View Post
Barry Switzer didn't mess with this team either. Switzer was also criticized for being soft and letting his veteran players do what ever they wanted. Switzer let his STs coaches run the show. Switzer was not the leader of his team and wasn't capable of "leading" an NFL team.

Sound familiar?
Nah, I think Tomlin is a man with great leadership qualities, but there is no manual for NFL head coach. I think he is learning that he cant always trust his men to be professionals and take care of business. He is gonna have to find some that will take care of business.

Tomlin promised changes this past week and nothing changed. I think if he further adopts that philosophy in the offseason he will continue to see a downward slide. The man needed to walk the talk.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:50 PM   #7
SteelCityMom

Member Number:

I for one, think it's a little too early to start proclaiming these things. Give the guy a fair shake and let's see how he goes about fixing a bad season.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:59 PM   #8
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding

Unless Tomlin puts something together in the next year and years afterwards and makes us forget this shitpile of a season, yes he is a Barry Switzer.
Edman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 12:01 AM   #9
SteelerEmpire
Team President

Member Number: 14355
Thanked 1,542 Times in 700 Posts

The Steeler's head coaches don't get "fired", they only "retire". Better get used to Tomlin, he's only 37.

A HOUSE DIVIDED WILL FALL TO IT'S ENEMIES;
BUT IN UNITY THERE ARE 6' SUPER BOWLS !!!
SteelerEmpire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 12:03 AM   #10
Glace
Team Captain

Member Number: 3609

I still have faith in Tomlin....it has just unfortunately come to a time when we will find out what he's really made of.
Glace is offline   Reply With Quote