Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 01-27-2006, 04:55 PM   #1
ZornToLargent
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 1298
Post The Bus isn't one of the best

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...enfield/060125

The Bus isn't one of the best

By David Schoenfield
Page 2

Bettis has averaged more than 4 yards a carry just once in the past eight seasons. (William R. Amatucci Sr./WireImage.com)

This is Jerome Bettis' Super Bowl.

Here's Jerome on the Sunday Conversation.

Here's Jerome's mom and dad.

Here's another replay of Jerome's near-tragic fumble against the Colts.

Please ? stop. Enough already! All these stories about The Bus are giving me a headache.

Look, it's a nice story: After 13 years in the league (the last 10 with the Steelers), the popular and well-liked Bettis finally makes a Super Bowl in what likely will be the final game of his career -- and the game is being played in his hometown of Detroit, no less.

Cue cameras, interviews, the great nickname, two weeks of pregame hype, and by game day you'll know more about Bettis than you know about your own kids.

But let's be honest here. This isn't Walter Payton finally making Super Bowl XX late in his career.

Nonetheless, this is the over-the-top buildup we're already getting. I heard at least five different announcers/pundits/experts call Bettis one of the greatest running backs of all time -- and that was just on the day the Steelers won the AFC championship. I've heard more than one announcer/pundit/expert refer to Bettis as one of the five greatest running backs of all time.

Now, it's true that Bettis is fifth on the all-time rushing list with 13,662 yards, trailing only Emmitt Smith, Payton, Barry Sanders and Curtis Martin. But do you really think he's a greater running back than Jim Brown? Or Marshall Faulk? Or Marcus Allen, Thurman Thomas, O.J. Simpson or Earl Campbell? I could go on. I could list current stalwarts like LaDainian Tomlinson, Edgerrin James, Priest Holmes and Shaun Alexander.

Before Steelers fans wrap me in their Terrible Towels and stuff me into a desk drawer in my cubicle, let me say that Bettis is going to make the Hall of Fame. He's been extremely durable at a position where we often see brief flashes of brilliance, Terrell Davis and Jamal Anderson being prime examples. He's been good enough to play in six Pro Bowls (although three of those weren't deserved).

What he hasn't been, for most of his career, is great.

He's rushed for over 1,500 yards just once. (Of the top 50 individual rushing seasons of all time, Bettis has just one.)

With his bowling-ball physique, he's supposed to be especially effective at the goal line. Yet he has scored more than 10 touchdowns in a season just twice. (He has 91 career touchdowns in 192 games; by way of comparison, his Super Bowl opponent, Alexander, has 89 TDs in just 96 games.)

His career rushing average is a meager 3.9 yards per carry, and he's averaged over 4 yards per carry just four times in 13 seasons. (Of the top 50 rushers of all time in terms of career yardage, only Eddie George and Rodney Hampton have averaged less than 3.9 yards per carry.)

Steelers fans are probably crying that Bettis' yards-per-carry average is low because he hasn't had the luxury of playing with any great quarterbacks before Ben Roethlisberger. OK, but consider this: Since joining the Steelers in 1996, Bettis has carried 2,683 times for 10,571 yards, averaging 3.93 yards per carry; all other Steelers running backs -- guys like Erric Pegram, Richard Huntley, Amos Zereoue, Chris Fuamatu-Ma'afala and Willie Parker -- have rushed 1,780 times for 7,793 yards, or 4.38 yards per carry.

So Bettis, supposedly one of the greatest running backs of all time, has actually averaged nearly half a yard less per carry than a motley collection of backups and fullbacks. Even if you take away 200 carries (and leave his yards gained the same), since you might argue he carried so often in short-yardage situations, his average jumps to 4.26 -- still less than his teammates running behind the same offensive line.

Here's the bottom line as you see Bettis featured on "Good Morning America," "The Daily Show" and "Emeril Live!" over the next week: He's Don Sutton or Harold Baines, a good running back who played a long time to compile some impressive career statistics.

But he is not one of the five or 10 or 15 or 25 greatest running backs of all time.

His nickname, however, ranks right up there.

David Schoenfield is the lead editor of Page 2.
ZornToLargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 05:04 PM   #2
Ambridge
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 604
Default Re: The Bus isn't one of the best

David Schoenfield

That's about one of the most assinine pieces of crap I've ever read.
He looks about as stupid as his article.
Ambridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 05:07 PM   #3
steelermaniac
Banned

Member Number: 1550

I kinda gotta agree with the article... Everytime I turn on ESPN there is another story on Bettis. He IS my favorite player, but seriously, enough is enough. I love him, but its getting to the point where he is a washed up fat running back 10 years past his prime. Save the sob story for the pussies that care. I want to hear about football.

Go SteelCrew
steelermaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 05:08 PM   #4
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,099 Posts

hater. lets see david schoenfield tackle him. bettis has shortened careers. r. lewis' ass is worn out from so many years of riding the bus. takeo spikes couldnt wait to leave the division. the browns d are the only ones smart enough to not tackle him. they thought theyd find a safehaven in denver. WRONG! lol
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 05:08 PM   #5
specialbus
Water Boy

Member Number: 1558

I have read a lot of BS over the years, but this takes the cake. What planet is this guy from? Let's see what he thinks of Da Bus after Sunday!!
specialbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 05:20 PM   #6
Brady12
Team Captain

Member Number: 973

I just looked at the title, i didn't read the article, so im guessing the title is what the article is about. HOW THE HELL IS SOMEONE WITH OVER 13K rushing yards in their career not one of the best. What a dumbass column.

EDIT: I guess this guy also thinks Emmitt Smith, Walter Payton, Barry Sanders, Curtis Martin, and Eric D?ckerson all aren't the best either?
Brady12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 05:23 PM   #7
BB2W
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 328

Not in the top 25 of all-time... I suppose they should just say top 100 of all time and put Curt Warner ahead of him too, huh.

Old 01-27-2006, 05:33 PM   #8
drizze99
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 1070

I think ZtL and this columnist are drinking a little too much of this...

"You win by attrition. You impose your will on your opponent." ~ Mike Tomlin
drizze99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 05:38 PM   #9
jaysta
Starter

Member Number: 1495

I can't believe that David Schoenfield can be a Steelers fan and write that. I'm sure throughout his career that his stats aren't at the very top of every category, but come on, there's more to it than that. Let me give you a perfect example. Years ago I worked for another team in the league (which I will keep anonymous since I am a diehard Steelers fan and could end up working in the league again someday). Anyhow, I was on my way to the field at the end of halftime when I saw the Bus in the hallway outside of the visitors locker room leaving after everyone else. He was hobbling and looked to be in obvious pain. I asked him if he was OK to which he responded kindly that he was fine and tried to walk straight. At that point I figured we had a pretty easy second half against the Steelers. Man was I wrong. He found some sort of second wind and ran all over us and basically won the game for the Steelers. This was a few years ago, but my thought at the time was, if this guy isn't the best than who is.
jaysta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 05:47 PM   #10
jaysta
Starter

Member Number: 1495

Not to mention who do you think the Steelers rode through the playoffs. Willie P? Please!
jaysta is offline   Reply With Quote