Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 12-11-2009, 09:47 AM   #1
BlastFurnace
Living Legend

Member Number: 6321
Default Lawrence Timmons and other things

I know that some on the board think he is going to be a great linebacker for us. I know...I know....his speed, hitting ability, etc.

So far, I don't see anything in Lawrence Timmons that makes me believe that he will get a 2nd contract with the Steelers.

First of all, he is not an Inside Linebacker. It has been becoming painfully obvious all year that the dropoff from Foote to Timmons has been huge when it comes to stopping the run. For those of you who laugh at this, answer me these questions:

- If Timmons was the Steelers first choice to play all 3 downs, why were the Steelers initially reluctant to let Foote go until he forced the issue? If they were so confident in Timmons's ability, why did they try to talk Foote into staying?

- If Timmons was a better Inside Linebacker, why couldn't he beat out Foote last year when he was completely heatlhy? Woodley sent Haggans packing and there was no question who was should be starting. It isn't the case in Timmons vs Foote.

Secondly, Timmons only has straight away speed. Watch his pass rushes and how he just runs straight ahead and is easily dodged by the QB. I don't know how many times I have seen this happen with Timmons the past 2 years, but the latest was last week against Gradkowski. Timmons does not have the lateral quickness necessary to play the Inside Linebacker position.

I'm not sure what direction the Steelers are going to go this offseason, but there isn't a single FA on their roster I would consider keeping.

Other than Tomlin, LeBeau, Butler, and Mitchell...the remainder of the coaching staff needs to be fired.....Zerlein, Ligashesky, Arians, Horton, Anderson, and the rest I don't know the names of.

The Steelers throw Intermediate or Deep passes more than any team in the league....even though it doesn't work. If I were an opposing Defensive Coordinator, I wouldn't even cover the RB's coming out of the backfield or anything wihin the first 5 to 10 yards off the LOS....the Steelers don't even look there.

Has anyone seen Mike Wallace since the Denver game?

For the remainder of the year, I want to see the following change in starters:

- Urbick or Foster for Essex
- Lewis or Burnett for Gay
- Mundy for Carter
- And somehow...someway...I want to see Limas Sweed get some time as an investment in next season.

I don't know what it is about this team, but when things go bad...they go really bad. Hate them all you want, but you did not see the early 90's Patriots get beat by inferior opponents. You don't see Peyton Manning lose to teams like the Raiders, Chiefs, and Browns. I believe that Ben is a great QB, but some of his games really leave you scratching your head and wondering...what on earth is the plan on offense.
BlastFurnace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 10:03 AM   #2
eafratitpm3
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 1192
Default Re: Lawrence Timmons and other things

I agree with you on Timmons, more often than not he gets caught up in the line of scrimmage wash and is always out of position. Let me add, and I know everyone will bash, the loss of Aaron Smith early in the season has unmasked a slower Farrior, in my opinion needs to go. I look at a guy like Keith Brooking and see him flying around making plays and James isn't half the player he is anymore. I've been saying this all year, teams are getting to Ben almost every game, why not chip a blocker and throw a screen to the back. If I see one more of the bubble screens this year I'm going to SCREAM.
eafratitpm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 10:09 AM   #3
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding

Bruce Arians is easily the worst thing to happen to Ben's game. It clashes with the patient style of QB coach Ken Anderson. Ken wasn't the most dynamic quarterback around, but he was patient, and he took what was given him.

Arians' asinine offensive scheme teaches Ben to fling it downfield from that shitacular empty set every play. No dumpoffs, no checkdowns, no slants, no crossing routes, nothing to help him beat the blitz. No playaction whatsoever even though Ben is one of the best Playaction QB's in the league. No-Huddle? What's that?

Instead, we get Ben sitting back there alone waiting for someone to get open, and he gets sacked. Teams have been gearing up to stop the deep/intermediate ball since the Minnesota game, Good ol' Brucey makes no adjustments whatsoever.

Arians is a pile of waste.
Edman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 10:14 AM   #4
SteelStang
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 11792

BF,

I think you raise some good points, but I also think you're going to take some shots too. Maybe I'm wrong, but we all see things differently.

LT has always reminded me more of an OLB than a guy on the inside. His speed on the edge would be extremely difficult to handle and he would be pretty good in coverage in the flat or curl zone.

Farrior really showed his age last night. Lot of missed tackles, trouble getting off blocks and was really a non-factor last night. Love the guy, but I'm wondering how much he has left in the tank.

Not real sure what you have seen to warrant getting Sweed on the field. I think he's proven he is a bust and I'll be more than happy to eat crow should he prove otherwise.

Mundy is another example of complete lack of depth at DB. Keep in mind this was a guy who transferred from Michigan to WVU because it looked like he'd never see the field at UM. Was actually behind a walk-on at one point. He broke the cardinal rule last week on the game-winner by Oakland when he let Murphy get behind him in the end zone of all places. I don't see him as an answer.

Foster and Urbik are unkowns. Could they ultimately be better than TE? Maybe, but again, I haven't seen anything to warrant that.
Old 12-11-2009, 10:15 AM   #5
steelerjim58
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 14701

As far as Timmons, I disagree with you. I think the Kid has a great deal of upside. As far as being dodged by qbs that happens to everyone. I don't think that any 250lb linebacker coming full speed up the middle can change dierction on a dime.

Sweed for me is the big mystery. The dude must not be doing anything in practice to give the coaches any confidence in him. And I know he has had a couple of glaring drops but damn he hasn't gotten enough time on the field to show what he can do one way or another. But if he isn't going to be given that chance it's time to let him go.
steelerjim58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 10:16 AM   #6
SteeleReign
Team President

Member Number: 13943

I dunno...I'm not done with Timmons yet. I think another camp & staying healthy for a year will tell us the truth. If after another season he isn't getting it done, then we look for another answer.
SteeleReign is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 10:23 AM   #7
FacemeIke
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 11185

Give Timmons another year when hes not having issues with BOTH ankles and then make a decision on him. At this point though I'm more then happy with him at LB. I don't get the "give sweed some field time" arguement I keep hearing. For one he's already proven he can't get the job done at this level. #2 even if he does decent where does that leave him? He'll still be the #4 wideout with no shot of cracking the top 3 spots so what does it accomplish? I do want to see Mundy and Burnett step in as starters. We need to see what we have in these two guys. Espcially Mundy since I think Clark will be gone in a year or 2, so we need to find out if he's clark's replacement or if we need to look elsewhere.
FacemeIke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 10:31 AM   #8
Steeldude
Living Legend

IMO, i am glad foote is gone. i was tired of watching him stand their letting the ball carrier come to him. his pass defense was subpar.

Quote:
Woodley sent Haggans packing
wasn't that due to haggans' age and contact expiring?

Quote:
Timmons does not have the lateral quickness necessary to play the Inside Linebacker position
IMO, he is probably the fastest LB on the steelers, forward, backwards and sideways. far faster than foote.

while i disagree with you a little, it was a good post. you make some good points

i agree with you on the coaches. i said last year that arians, ligashesky and zierlein need to go.
Old 12-11-2009, 10:34 AM   #9
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

I definitely would NOT fire Ken Anderson. He has been a tremendous help to Ben's overall game. Hell, I think he should be next in line for the OC job.
Old 12-11-2009, 10:38 AM   #10
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 4,707 Times in 1,773 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edman View Post
Bruce Arians is easily the worst thing to happen to Ben's game. It clashes with the patient style of QB coach Ken Anderson. Ken wasn't the most dynamic quarterback around, but he was patient, and he took what was given him.

Arians' asinine offensive scheme teaches Ben to fling it downfield from that shitacular empty set every play. No dumpoffs, no checkdowns, no slants, no crossing routes, nothing to help him beat the blitz. No playaction whatsoever even though Ben is one of the best Playaction QB's in the league. No-Huddle? What's that?

Instead, we get Ben sitting back there alone waiting for someone to get open, and he gets sacked. Teams have been gearing up to stop the deep/intermediate ball since the Minnesota game, Good ol' Brucey makes no adjustments whatsoever.

Arians is a pile of waste.
Nahhh, It's all about execution not the play calling.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is offline   Reply With Quote