Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 12-11-2009, 11:09 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Steelers' Harrison takes blame for letdown

Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

Steelers' Harrison takes blame for letdown

By Scott Brown
PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Saturday, December 12, 2009

Less than a week after saying his teammates needed to focus on doing their own job, Steelers outside linebacker James Harrison admittedly did not heed his own words.

As a result, the reigning NFL Defensive Player of the Year repeatedly found himself out of position Thursday night at Cleveland Browns Stadium. Not coincidentally, the Browns, who entered the game last in the NFL in total offense, piled up 171 rushing yards in a 13-6 upset of the Steelers.

"We weren't gap sound, especially me," Harrison said after the Steelers allowed the most rushing yards in a game since December of 2007. "I was guilty of letting a few runs break out. I was doing things that wasn't my job to do, then I am not taking care of my job, and that is where it breaks down."

The Steelers slipped from first to third in the NFL in rushing defense (84.9 yards per game) following their first loss in Cleveland since 2000. They have given up an average of 137.3 rushing yards in their last three games.

"I think in the situation we're in, things are kind of snowballing, guys are kind of pressing and doing too much," nose tackle Casey Hampton said, "and when you try to do too much in this defense, you can mess everybody else up. I think that's been kind of happening to us."

Joshua Cribbs, Harrison's former teammate at Kent State, took advantage of several breakdowns to rush for 87 yards on just eight carries.

Cribbs, a wide receiver, burned the Steelers while taking direct snaps in the Wildcat formation. In the second quarter, he broke several tackles en route to a 37-yard run that set up a Phil Dawson field goal.

Harrison said the Steelers were ready for the Wildcat, which the Browns also had used in the teams' two previous meetings.

The two-time Pro Bowler took a large part of the blame for the Steelers' inability to contain Cribbs.

"It came down to guys really pressing and doing more than what their job is," Harrison said. "I am really the No. 1 person who was guilty of that. We really need to start to get back to fundamentals. Doing what it is what you are supposed to do."

Scott Brown can be reached at sbrown@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.

(Harrison is trying to do more than he should. It's a sign of desperation. - mesa)
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 11:36 PM   #2
Steelerfreak58
Team Captain

Member Number: 8080
Default Re: Steelers' Harrison takes blame for letdown

I don't give a shit if he was out of position a few times the bastard won us a SB with that pick six so he can have an off game against the stains and some more. He may want to take the blame but everyone and their mother knows the last 5 losses were the team as a wholes fault not any one person.
Old 12-12-2009, 12:12 AM   #3
SteelC7
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 14419

i agree, its not all his fault, its the defense/offense/special teams as a whole, u lose like a team, and u win like a team
SteelC7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 12:25 AM   #4
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,424 Times in 3,548 Posts

thats very honorable of james to fall on the sword like that, but i dont think anyone on the team can say they have played harder than him.

he plays every play as if he is the best player on the team and a league MVP. he plays as if he is still trying to earn every cent of his new contract.
Old 12-12-2009, 12:29 AM   #5
MarsRover
Water Boy

Member Number: 14198

i have never seen harrison dog it on a play....that and the fact that he is dominant gives him a lot of leeway imo.
MarsRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 12:41 AM   #6
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976

Well, he can take the blame if he wants. But he's the one guy who has been out there kicking ass for basically this whole losing streak and holding the defense together. He can't carry the team on his back every game. And besides, giving up 13 points isn't a bad effort -- that should be good enough to win.

You want to blame someone, HOW ABOUT SCORING 6 DAMN POINTS. You don't win too many games doing that.
Old 12-12-2009, 05:29 AM   #7
Rick5895
Team President

Member Number: 5148

I said it in another thread, I will say it here as well. When I turned on NFL network on Thursday )pre-game) there was a shot of a few Steelers, Harrison included, standing around the "mini furnace" like it was a campfire trying to stay warm. I just don't beleive any body was focused on the game, they looked more concerned about being cold. When I saw that I knew we were in trouble.
Rick5895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 06:16 AM   #8
steelerdave1969
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 12338

I just love James Harrison myself. This guy is mean and he reminds me of Greg Lloyd so much. But this game in my opinion was on the offense. But then again the Browns just brought people from every where, you only have so many people that you can block with those 5 linemen, that puts pressure on the RB's to pick up the others and of course the TE's.. but Heath Miller is the Only Blocking TE we have obviously. I did see several that didnt get their jobs done. I heard a guy on Sirius Radio yesterday saying that he never got to see a play of the game but could just about tell ya everytime in every different situation the Steelers were in what group of players would be on the field on those plays, I never thought of it that way much til I heard his call in. The Steelers have about three packages on offense and thats it, its time to put more in there Bruce.
Old 12-12-2009, 06:19 AM   #9
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,345 Times in 1,418 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

I have to agree it was not all Harrisons fault they were let downs all the way across the defense. I am sure they will get it fixed and be ready to kick some butt before the end of the season.
Old 12-12-2009, 06:25 AM   #10
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

I don't think there is a guy on that team who plays with more passion or works harder than James Harrison. That is all.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote