Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 12-12-2009, 12:05 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Why Bruce Arians should go: Views of the fan

Why Bruce Arians should go: Views of the fan
December 12, 12:53 AMPittsburgh Sports Examiner
Matt Pawlikowski
http://www.examiner.com/x-2703-Pitts...ews-of-the-fan

This weekend, the Examiner decided to do something different. We let the readers take a shot at the current state of the Steelers and what should be done.

Mike Tomlin promised to rage hell in December; something yet to happen then made a promise for change, another thing yet to be seen.

In talking with a few respected Cleveland writers on Thursday night, they pointed one thing out that is wrong with the Steelers this year; Bruce Arians. Those scribes talked about how other teams knew what was coming all the time and how he destroyed Tim Couch while with the Browns. They also said he always seemed to be doing something to pad his resume for another shot with another team.

While Ben Roethliberger has endorsed Arians in the past, let’s be realistic. The past six weeks, his play calling has been lousy at best. His pass happy offense isn’t cutting it, and although one can argue that Rashard Mendenhall will reach 1,000 yards this season, in the past when the Steelers had a true fullback like Dan Kreider those numbers would be much higher.

So without further commentary on why we think Arians time is up, we’ve decided to let Lee, who brings up some excellent points, take his best shot.

“A couple of years ago when Willie Parker was a pro-bowl RB, he stated that he preferred to run behind a fullback and felt that he performed better when doing so. Did Arians attempt to incorporate a FB into his offense more? No, because this is Bruce Arians' offense.

Ben Roethlisberger has been begging for at least 2 years to run the no huddle more and the stats prove that the Steelers have been very, very successful when doing so. Does Bruce Arians let Ben do so? No, because this is Bruce Arians' offense.

For a few years now the offensive line, RBs, and even WRs (Ward & Holmes) stated at one time or another that the Steelers need to establish the run and stay committed to it in order to keep the defenses they face off balance and to be more productive, so does Bruce Arians listen to his players suggestions? No, because this is Bruce Arians' offense

Since the Vikings game, most teams have been using a soft cover 2 shell to prevent the deep passes, yet Arians keeps calling 7 step drop pass plays with deep routes.

That would also seem to open up the running game since the safety is playing away from the line of scrimmage in the cover 2 scheme. Yet Arians still passes over 60% of the time. So obviously it's not what the defense it attempting to take away, it's about Bruce Arians, his offense, and his love for the passing game and especially the deep passes.

Arians also continued to seem determined to keep using his beloved "empty backfield" formation until it worked. Problem is, it's yet to work.

Teams continue to counter this formation with heavy blitzing. That results in Ben Roethlisberger taking a pounding, getting sacked, throwing incomplete passes, turning the ball over, or if the Steelers are lucky, a four yard gain.

Yet more proof that Arians is a very poor offensive coordinator. He refuses to vary his offense or offensive play calling to maximize the strengths and talents of his players. He makes the players fit his offense.

He made Dixon a pocket quarterback when Dixon (at this point in his career) is better when using his athletic ability. I only remember seeing a rollout or moving pocket 3 times vs the Ravens, one resulted in a TD pass and another resulted in a TD run.

To be heard in the voice of the fan, which will run each Saturday, email sunnewsmp@yahoo.com.

Last edited by mesaSteeler; 12-12-2009 at 12:16 AM.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 12:17 AM   #2
Glace
Team Captain

Member Number: 3609
Default Re: Why Bruce Arians should go: Views of the fan

I knew the browns hated him too, but these are all extremely valid and accurate points.

Good read.
Glace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 12:37 AM   #3
19ward86
Head Coach

Member Number: 2717

offense reminds me of the season of 2002 and the fallout in 2003...almost same season outcomes compared to 2008 and 2009 season.
Old 12-12-2009, 12:39 AM   #4
Gnutella
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13861
Thanked 1,337 Times in 486 Posts
My Mood: Bitchy

Now it's dawned on me: Bruce Arians is Kevin Gilbride all over again.
Gnutella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 12:55 AM   #5
wootawnee
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 4530

I already hear the door hitt him in the rear......
Old 12-12-2009, 02:34 AM   #6
steelers2685
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 8032

Nice article, very true statements all around. I never understood why they did not implement a fullback after releasing Kreider. They gave the sorry excuse of a FB Carey Davis a shot but that was a FAIL.

Willie suffered from Bruce Arians (trying to run him up the middle without a fullback primarily). Now Bruce is ruining the receievers and Ben as well (durability). Only player I see benefitting from him is Heath Miller who's actually caught a lot more passes it seems than in years past.
Old 12-12-2009, 02:59 AM   #7
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding

Bruce Arians is easily the worst Steelers OC since Ray Sherman. After years of competance in Mularkey and Whisenhunt, we blew it with this guy. I know Mularkey and Whiz had their bad days, but Airhead is an out and out embarrassment.

The Cleveland game pretty much cost him his job.
Edman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 04:10 AM   #8
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edman View Post
Bruce Arians is easily the worst Steelers OC since Ray Sherman. After years of competance in Mularkey and Whisenhunt, we blew it with this guy. I know Mularkey and Whiz had their bad days, but Airhead is an out and out embarrassment.

The Cleveland game pretty much cost him his job.
Once again, WAY over the top IMO.

There are some things that were very smart. The cutting down and reforming the playbook was very smart (it was just added to time and time again until it got to be unruly).

SOME of the plays ran were pretty much brilliant in make up. As I started to watch and re-watch them this year, I was actually pretty astounded.

The PROBLEM is, it seems that he doesn't know how to put them all together and make it into a proper gameplan.

I think he would be a much better Offensive assistant coordinator than a coordinator.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 05:45 AM   #9
Rick5895
Team President

Member Number: 5148

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
Once again, WAY over the top IMO.

There are some things that were very smart. The cutting down and reforming the playbook was very smart (it was just added to time and time again until it got to be unruly).

SOME of the plays ran were pretty much brilliant in make up. As I started to watch and re-watch them this year, I was actually pretty astounded.

The PROBLEM is, it seems that he doesn't know how to put them all together and make it into a proper gameplan.

I think he would be a much better Offensive assistant coordinator than a coordinator.
I will agree that some of his plays do appear brilliant, by design. The problem is he doesn't adjust to the players he has.
He doesn't adjust to what the other team is doing defensively.
He doesn't have continuity or flow.
Preacher, anyone can draw up plays that look good, but it takes someone who knows what they are doing to call them in a game.
I have been a high school DC, when I saw that empty set on O my players were instructed to call off what ever I sent in and replace it with a man coverage blitz every one else scheme. I would do this until the O adjusted. Arians never adjusts.
That is is huge problem.
Rick5895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 06:07 AM   #10
Steeldude
Living Legend

in a way this reminds me of the kordell experiment. so many fans were making excuses for kordell, but they eventually took off the steelers' goggles to see reality for the first time.

Quote:
yet Arians keeps calling 7 step drop pass plays with deep routes
but i thought it was the WR's fault for not catching it...lmao.