Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NCAA Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 12-06-2009, 07:30 PM   #1
Steeler in Carolina
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1634
Default Chicken @#$% BCS

Put TCU vs. Boise in bowl games. This way, neither team can beat a BCS team. Way to fix the games BCS.
Steeler in Carolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 09:16 PM   #2
supa_fly_steeler
Banned

Member Number: 15332
Default Re: Chicken @#$% BCS

bunch of twats, stupid system, FAIL
supa_fly_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 09:19 PM   #3
Nadroj 20
Team President

Member Number: 14045

Nadroj 20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 09:21 PM   #4
supa_fly_steeler
Banned

Member Number: 15332

this made me really angry. hokies to own tennessee :D
supa_fly_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 08:47 AM   #5
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

Well, I don't think for a second that's the REAL reason they did this...I think they grabbed it because they had second choice, and matching up two of the other unbeatens makes a ton of sense...they can bill this as the OTHER National Championship game.

Personally, I think TCU will roll.
Old 12-07-2009, 09:14 AM   #6
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts

It's just college - I love all the match-ups, should be some great games.

Go Broncos!
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 09:37 AM   #7
revefsreleets
Living Legend

http://www.ohio.com/sports/78665007.html

Not saying I agree with all of it, but it's a decent explanation....

How the major bowl lineup was made

Why Texas, Alabama gained shots at the title and others were left out

By Ralph D. Russo
Associated Press

Published on Monday, Dec 07, 2009

Should Texas be in the championship game? What was the case for TCU or Cincinnati to join Alabama in Pasadena, Calif., on Jan. 7? And wasn't Boise State supposed to get left out of the mix? The BCS often creates more questions than answers, so let's try to clear up a few mysteries right now.

Q: Why does Texas deserve to be in the championship game ahead of TCU, Cincinnati and Boise State?

A: Texas started the season ranked No. 2 and never slipped below No. 3 in the polls. Critics will note that, as the season progressed, the Longhorns' resume took some hits because the Big 12 wasn't as good this season as last. Texas has two victories against teams currently ranked in the Top 25 of the BCS standings or AP poll. TCU has two. Cincinnati has three. Boise State? Just one.

Texas played a soft nonconference slate, its best win coming against UCF. TCU won at Clemson. Cincinnati won at Oregon State. Boise State beat Oregon.

But despite all that, Texas still played a substantially tougher overall schedule than any of the other three, according to both the NCAA's rating and the Sagarin computer rating. And while the Big 12 was down, it still rated much better than either the Mountain West Conference (where TCU plays) and Western Athletic Conference (Boise State's league) in the Sagarin ratings. The Big 12 did trail the Big East.

There's no doubt the Longhorns' pedigree and starting position helped them win this race, but they still have the best case for being No. 2.

Q: Should we be questioning Alabama's worthiness, too?

A: No. The Crimson Tide's resume in impeccable. Alabama had three victories against currently ranked teams (Virginia Tech, LSU and Florida). Its schedule was rated fourth-toughest in the nation by the NCAA and 20th-toughest by Sagarin, tops by far among the unbeatens.

The SEC was the No. 1-rated conference by Sagarin, and anyone who watched Alabama dismantle the Gators saw a team that should be playing for a national championship.

Q: What is TCU's best argument for being in the championship game?

A: The Horned Frogs spent the second half of their season pummeling their opposition. TCU won its last six games by an average of 32 points, including routs of Utah and BYU. The Frogs look like a team that can compete with any opponent.

Q: What is Cincinnati's best argument for being in the championship game?

A: The Big East's relative strength compared to the Big 12. That, combined with the Bearcats' victory at Oregon State and one of the best offenses in the country.

Q: What is Boise State's best argument for being in the championship game?

A: The Broncos don't have a case. Since beating Oregon they have spent the rest of the season playing teams that range from slightly above-average (Fresno State and Nevada) to terrible (San Jose State, Hawaii, Utah State and Tulsa), with more terrible opponents than slightly above-average ones.

Q: Wasn't Boise State supposed to get shut out of the BCS once TCU earned an automatic bid?

A: Only one team from a conference without an automatic bid can earn an automatic bid by finishing in the top 12 of the final BCS standings. TCU locked that up. Conventional wisdom was the Broncos would get shut out like last year because the bowls aren't thrilled about inviting teams from those leagues — not big enough fan bases and not interesting enough to casual fans. But as marquee teams such as USC, Notre Dame and Miami accumulated losses, the Broncos became the only viable option.

Q: Why did the Fiesta Bowl pair TCU and Boise State, two BCS busters?

A: Because the other alternative was Iowa against one of the two undefeated so-called outsiders, which is not much of an alternative. Now the Fiesta Bowl can tout a game matching two undefeated teams, something no BCS game other than the national game has ever been able to do.

Q: Did any team that deserved to be in get left out?

A: Definitely not. There was talk Penn State (10-2) might get selected over Iowa (10-2) because the Nittany Lions and coach Joe Paterno have more national appeal. But the Hawkeyes beat Penn State.

Q: Aside from the championship game, which BCS game is a must-watch?

A: Hard to pass up Tim Tebow's last college game. He should go out with a big performance against Cincinnati's porous defense. It'll also be interesting to see how the Bearcats' potent spread offense matches up with the Gators' talented defense. And by then everyone should know one way or the other if Brian Kelly is going to be Notre Dame's next coach.

Q: Is college football any closer to having a playoff and getting rid of this frustrating system?

A: Maybe, but don't count on it. The new four-year TV contract with ESPN starts next season. A four-team playoff was proposed and shot down before the new deal was signed. The constant nagging and threats from politicians, combined with too many lackluster BCS matchups such as Iowa-Georgia Tech, might sway the people in charge to change.
Old 12-07-2009, 09:58 AM   #8
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

I love the match up...why the Ef would I want TCU at 12-0 vs Iowa at 10-2 or Boise State at 12-0 vs Georgia Tech at 10-2?

Give me the two undefeated Non BCS Teams squaring off to see who really is the best of the non-big boys.

I love the game. Seriously...unless Cincy had a shot at either one of those teams, I love the matchup.

This way, both teams are playing for something, both teams show up, no let down for missing the title game as the BCS Team, like Bama or Oklahoma have done these last couple seasons. Give me 2 hungry teams, that both can score, out for something to prove any day of the week.

Its a GREAT FOOTBALL match up. Anyone who thinks otherwise is just being a whiney bitach and really just wants a playoff system and will point to anything as an excuse to argue for one.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:05 AM   #9
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Well, as I said, (and I don't think I'm being a whiny bitch about it at all), I'd have scheduled these other BCS games differently.

I'd have Oregon play Florida.
OSU vs. TCU
Cincy vs. Boise

I think those are all better match-ups. Florida is going to slaughter Cincinnati. TCU is going to roll over Boise. Ohio State Oregon will be a good game, but there are better match-ups to be had. I think TCU is the only undefeated team in the same stratosphere as Texas and Bama, and I don't thibnk ANYONE is going to beat Bama...
Old 12-07-2009, 10:44 AM   #10
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

No, you're not being whiney or bitchy about it...just saying...I've been hearing it all morning that its a 'bad matchup' and I totally disagree...I love seeing the two "cinderellas" having to square off against each other instead of getting to play an ugly step-sister for bragging rights.