Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 12-14-2009, 02:00 PM   #1
T.Richardson
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 10617
Default Here's my rant..

I been hearing this from every Steeler fan I have met so far this year, you guys expect this team to be like the 70's Steeler teams. Smashmouth football, running the ball down there throats, and a dominating defense. Well this Steeler team is different, and this is a different era.

First off, the team does not have the personnel to run the ball 30 times a game. Mendenhall is not Franco Harris, Barry Foster, Bam Morris, or Jerome Bettis, he isnt a RB who will run up the middle and get those 3 hard earned yards. The team has a guy who needs holes to run through, hes not going to run over guys...Dont expect Smashmouth football, its dead, get over it.

The team has a potiential Elite QB in Ben. Its time to stop pretending this is a smashmouth team, because this team isnt. Back in the Cowher era, when the team would run the ball with Bettis, How many Championships did the Steelers win? How many Superbowls in 10+ years did this team play in? This is a different era, if you guys insist on trying replicate the 70's team, it simply wont work. For example Brady has consistently owned this team, everytime this team faces him, he torches the defense. The Patriots are a pass first team, when they had Dillion, and he rushed for 1600 yards 12 TDS, they were still a pass first team, and they did what? Won the superbowl. The Pats passed the ball and set up the run, which is exactly what the winning formula is in this era, no more of this pretending to be a run first team BS, the team has Ben, the team can pass the ball more.

This defense will never be like the 70's Steelers. Polamalu is the only guy on this defense that is close to the Hall of Fame than anyone on the defense. Harrison isnt Ham, Farrior isnt Lambert, Smith isnt Greenwood, its time to let go of the past, This current team will not be known for defense, it will still be a strong defense, but not nearly as good.

Stop with this bench Ben, start Dixon to see what he's got, the seasons lost, lets give up crap. Play out the season, and finish strong, I do not want this team to give up on the season, there are still 3 games left. how about a 9-7 season? Its not nearly as bad as a 6-10 season, or a 7-9 season. Why give up? All the starters play, Ben plays every single snap, STOP GIVING UP!

Im done.
Old 12-14-2009, 02:07 PM   #2
The_WARDen
Head Coach

Member Number: 7628
Default Re: Here's my rant..

While I agree with 99% of your rant...I disagree with the playing hard to go with 9-7 part.

All the does is make us the fans feel good so that we can retort to other fans with "At least they didn't quit" or "They played hard down the stretch" which IMO doesn't amount to hill of beans.

The best thing for the Steelers is to go 6-10 and get the highest draft pick available to better themselves for the future. I'm not saying tank the season but let's see "what the young guys got"....
After reading the idiotic threads over the past couple of weeks, I ask the question - "Who is worse...Steeler fans or Eagles fans?" Keep in mind that Eagle fans do not know what it's like to win a SB much less 6 and 2 this decade.
The_WARDen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 02:14 PM   #3
SteelC7
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 14419

i gotta say i agree wth the WARDen, i wanna see wat guys like burnett, keenan lewis, hood, and mundy have wen they play the full game, we need a good high draft pick, IMO somebody who can alternate between safety and CB
SteelC7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 02:34 PM   #4
SteelStang
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 11792

T, I certainly can't argue with what you are saying as you make a lot of valid points. The NFL is a copy-cat league and right now the fad is to use 2-3 RB's so the idea of a guy running the ball 25 plus times per game is over for the most part.

The question is... Did our offense evolve into this or did we intentionally go with the current pass-first mentality? Even in the days of Ron Erhardt, where we pounded the ball at will, we had a pretty formidable 5-wide set with NOD running the show. You make great points about New England passing to establish the run and I firmly believe that is what BA believes in. Problem is that if you don't have the horses up front, it just isn't going to happen.

We've got the prefect QB, strong set of receivers, and a solid RB to build around. While many, including myself have been less than pleased with BA, let's remember that if he gets canned, that means a whole new offense for EVERYONE to learn, not just Ben. Now perhaps Kenny gets the job and keeps the terminolgy in place while tweaking things to his/their liking, but either way, we have become a team built around our QB and his strength is throwing the ball.
Old 12-14-2009, 03:09 PM   #5
Angus Burgher
Team Captain

Member Number: 15057

Great rant T.R., and I wholeheartedly agree with you. All this crap I keep hearing about "Steeler Football" just makes me scratch my head. The game as a whole has changed and I feel like people still want the Steelers to play it the way it was 30-40 years ago. That makes no sense. You don't carry a musket into a modern war.

As for this playing for the draft stuff... I would MUCH rather see them go 9-7 or at least 8-8 so that they gain some respectability back this season. Even at 9-7, they're still going to get a decent draft spot unless they somehow miraculously make it into the playoffs and make a run for the Super Bowl. But let's not kid ourselves on that one.

There will still be plenty of good draft picks left if they end up somewhere in the middle, and they could always trade up if needed. And considering that, even with the last pick this year, they still made some great picks (Wallace, possibly Hood) and even missed some opportunities (LeSean McCoy), they should be fine picking in the middle.
Old 12-14-2009, 05:05 PM   #6
MaidenIndiana
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 10557
My Mood: Twisted

How anybody can confuse this team with the ones from the 70's is beyond me. The teams from the 70's dominated inferior teams, this one just loses to them. Anybody who watched the disaster that was advertised as being a football game against Cleveland would have to question this teams heart.
MaidenIndiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 05:45 PM   #7
wootawnee
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 4530

Dude don't tell me smashmouth football is dead......Ask the 07 16-0 Pat's if it is......The Giants smashed thier mouth in that superbowl..............What a joke......You all are getting brainwashed by Roger Goddell and his coorporate cronies who want 50 points a game and pantyhose wearing players..........You watch at the end of the year how all this season turns out.........I GUARANTEE a defense will stuff one of these power pass offenses..........

As with the Steelers, they are still in it........This afc is crazy this year and all they need to do is win out.......Then see where they are.........Beleive me the Steelers can still squeak in and be dominant when they get there if they do..........But you know what man......THEY JUST GOT TO GO OUT THERE AND PLAY FOOTBALL.........Forget about all that mental crap and the past and the mum that is going on in the stands.....They get to go and play at Lambeau Field......I mean how cool is that..........Just get out there and hit someone........Feel fortunate that you get to strap on a helmet for a living and have a blast.............That is all there is to it........You just temporary forgot........
COME ON MAN..........
Old 12-14-2009, 05:55 PM   #8
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

Quote:
Originally Posted by wootawnee View Post
Dude don't tell me smashmouth football is dead......Ask the 07 16-0 Pat's if it is......The Giants smashed thier mouth in that superbowl..............What a joke......You all are getting brainwashed by Roger Goddell and his coorporate cronies who want 50 points a game and pantyhose wearing players..........You watch at the end of the year how all this season turns out.........I GUARANTEE a defense will stuff one of these power pass offenses..........

As with the Steelers, they are still in it........This afc is crazy this year and all they need to do is win out.......Then see where they are.........Beleive me the Steelers can still squeak in and be dominant when they get there if they do..........But you know what man......THEY JUST GOT TO GO OUT THERE AND PLAY FOOTBALL.........Forget about all that mental crap and the past and the mum that is going on in the stands.....They get to go and play at Lambeau Field......I mean how cool is that..........Just get out there and hit someone........Feel fortunate that you get to strap on a helmet for a living and have a blast.............That is all there is to it........You just temporary forgot........
COME ON MAN..........
I agree, and ask the Colts how many titles they won with their Style? ONE, Just ONE in all the years Mr Manning has been their Throw it around QB and that game against another team that didn't even have a QB under center and Manning didn't have a great game in the Superbowl but didn't need to cause the other team's QB kept throwing the ball to the wrong team.

Giants proved that smashmouth, or at least, a Run First oriented offense does in fact win in the playoffs and can win a Super Bowl.

The Ravens got to the AFC Title game last year with a Rookie QB with a Smashmouth style on offense, this year they have gone away from that and what has happened? (besides their defense just not being the same.)

Not every Team can be the Colts and chuck the ball 70% of the time with their QB calling plays from under center depending on the defense. And remember what happened to the Colts in the playoffs recently. They Lose. Time and Time again they lose. To who?

Chargers last year, Chargers had 167 rushing yards and won. Year prior, the Chargers again.

Running teams can beat passing teams in the Playoffs.
Old 12-14-2009, 06:05 PM   #9
T.Richardson
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 10617

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino 6 Rings View Post
I agree, and ask the Colts how many titles they won with their Style? ONE, Just ONE in all the years Mr Manning has been their Throw it around QB and that game against another team that didn't even have a QB under center and Manning didn't have a great game in the Superbowl but didn't need to cause the other team's QB kept throwing the ball to the wrong team.

Giants proved that smashmouth, or at least, a Run First oriented offense does in fact win in the playoffs and can win a Super Bowl.

The Ravens got to the AFC Title game last year with a Rookie QB with a Smashmouth style on offense, this year they have gone away from that and what has happened? (besides their defense just not being the same.)

Not every Team can be the Colts and chuck the ball 70% of the time with their QB calling plays from under center depending on the defense. And remember what happened to the Colts in the playoffs recently. They Lose. Time and Time again they lose. To who?

Chargers last year, Chargers had 167 rushing yards and won. Year prior, the Chargers again.

Running teams can beat passing teams in the Playoffs.
In the Cowher era, how many times has the Steelers made the superbowl? in 10+ years?
Old 12-14-2009, 06:06 PM   #10
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656

How do you all think the Bengals are winning this year? Not with Carson's arm, that's for sure. They built a running game specifically designed to beat US and win the division.
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote