Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 12-14-2009, 04:24 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Bus Stops: Three-step plan to fix Steelers; Moss needs some time

Bus Stops: Three-step plan to fix Steelers; Moss needs some time
Jerome Bettis>INSIDE THE NFL

Throughout the 2009 season, SI.com's Adam Duerson will work with Jerome Bettis to get the six-time Pro Bowl running back's observations about the previous week's games. Bettis retired from the NFL in 2006 after a 13-year career.

• The Steelers need to be fixed. Here's what I'd do this offseason if I were Pittsburgh GM Kevin Colbert:

1. Get depth. Coming off a Super Bowl win, this team got arrogant about its starting talent. It lost some starters -- Aaron Smith and Troy Polamalu -- and couldn't sustain the integrity of the defense.

2. Spend some money on the offensive line. It might take a couple guys, and it'll cost a pretty penny, but that line needs work and it needs depth, too. Without a strong line, your whole offense changes. The running game disappears.

3. Make the running game a priority in training camp. The line play didn't help, but the running game really suffered most in training camp because it just wasn't made a priority. This team's mindset and philosophy has changed away from running, but you can't pass -- or win football games -- without a running game base, I believe. That lack of a running game accounts for all of the fourth-quarter losses.

(Rest of the article is not about the Steelers - mesa)

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...#ixzz0ZhjWsML4
Get a free NFL Team Jacket and Tee with SI Subscription
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 04:50 PM   #2
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,765 Times in 882 Posts
Default Re: Bus Stops: Three-step plan to fix Steelers; Moss needs some time

I'm so surprised the ....."yeah, but the Colts win games without a running game..." fans havent responded to this yet.

The funniest thing about this article is that the Steelers DID invest in the O line. They gave 4 of their 5 starters new contracts in the offseason(Starks-4year, Kemo-4yr, Hartwig-4yr, Essex-2yr) and arguably their best lineman is a free agent this offseason, in Colon.

I think they have the makings of an O line that can be effective, but they let them get beat on instead of letting the O line be aggressive by running the football. O linemen would rather take a step forward to hit the defender, than take a step back to get hit by the pass rusher!!!!
Old 12-14-2009, 05:10 PM   #3
Angus Burgher
Team Captain

Member Number: 15057

The O-Line sucks at run blocking. Mendenhall can't even run against the worst defenses in the league half the time. Maybe he's the problem, but their inability to open up holes doesn't help things.
Old 12-14-2009, 05:21 PM   #4
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,765 Times in 882 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus Burgher View Post
The O-Line sucks at run blocking. Mendenhall can't even run against the worst defenses in the league half the time. Maybe he's the problem, but their inability to open up holes doesn't help things.
Sorry, but you are incorrect. They seemingly suck because they are rarely given the opportunity to establish the run and dont have a true blocking FB.

When the Steelers had to rely on the run against the Ravens in week 12, because Dennis Dixon was starting.....Mendenhall had 95 yards on 24 carries, Carey Davis 15 yards on 2 carries and Parker 14 yards on 5 carries.

So.....when the O line commits to the run they allow Mendenhall to average 4 YPC against the #6 rushing defense in the NFL....AND THEY SUCK AT RUN BLOCKING????
Old 12-14-2009, 05:54 PM   #5
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,626 Times in 2,871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
Sorry, but you are incorrect. They seemingly suck because they are rarely given the opportunity to establish the run and dont have a true blocking FB.

When the Steelers had to rely on the run against the Ravens in week 12, because Dennis Dixon was starting.....Mendenhall had 95 yards on 24 carries, Carey Davis 15 yards on 2 carries and Parker 14 yards on 5 carries.

So.....when the O line commits to the run they allow Mendenhall to average 4 YPC against the #6 rushing defense in the NFL....AND THEY SUCK AT RUN BLOCKING????
yeah but what do you know? youre just a fan.

pat kirwan notes that during their 5 game winning streak the best they have looked offensively was against the ravens.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=090...s&confirm=true

Quote:

d) The irony of the Steelers' five-game slide is that their best chance to win came in a Week 12 overtime loss to Baltimore, when Dennis Dixon started for an injured Ben Roethlisberger. The Steelers ran the ball 38 times in that matchup and almost won. Against the Browns, they ran the ball just 22 times.
(i dont count the 2 busted pass plays that ben scrambled and a qb sneak as run plays.)

against denver (the #1 ranked defense at the time) we established the run. we saw some g-power and kemo pulling to blow people up. where has that been vs. teh sucky teams?

against the vikings (arguably the best rush defense not named pittsburgh the past 3 years, we established the run game and were able to win. mendenhall looked as good as peterson.

and we run the ball against the ravens, who before some inconsistant play this year, havent been that bad of a rush defense themselves.

its all about "want too", and that starts from the top.

the knock on willie was he couldnt succeed against a great defense. now that we got a back that can, we abandon him against the dregs of the league.

Old 12-14-2009, 05:59 PM   #6
Mean Machine
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 426

I consider OL also a top priority. I'd love to get a mauler at RT and let Colon and the rest battle it out at RG. Also, we need to get an OC that can take over.

DB is no surprise. Taylor, Gay, they all stink. Also, depth at ILB because Farrior isn't getting any younger.

Since we will likely not sign guys like Parker, Clark, and possibly others, let's take a look at our core players and build around them.

I like a lot of our players, but we need to retool by using the draft, signing a few of our own players, and FA. Don't want to get back into the situation when we signed Chad Scott and Dwayne Washington to those big deals and then we sucked.
Old 12-14-2009, 06:04 PM   #7
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,486 Times in 1,513 Posts

well in all fairness ,everybody knows its difficult to run the ball in 35 mph winds ....

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 06:06 PM   #8
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
well in all fairness ,everybody knows its difficult to run the ball in 35 mph winds ....
:rof l:
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 06:18 PM   #9
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,626 Times in 2,871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Machine View Post
I consider OL also a top priority. I'd love to get a mauler at RT and let Colon and the rest battle it out at RG. Also, we need to get an OC that can take over.
see, and here i thought we drafted one of the top RG prospects in last years draft. is that dude not being coached up, or what? does he just suck? when will we find out?

good one, MOP.
Old 12-14-2009, 06:27 PM   #10
JEFF4i
Banned

Member Number: 10645

Rashard hasn't done much? He'srushed superbly, averaging 5 a carry for a season is pretty good you know?

Our line isn't weak, they're big guys. That's why we need gut rushing, the big guys are great for getting a line pushed up more than out. More gutshots with Mendy, maybe a little trick plays with Dixon, Ward, and Holmes (all 3 can throw y'know), and then when you have 2 left and back by 4. Unleash Big Ben.

I may not be in the NFL, but something tells me if we did things conventionally or trick/run plays we'd be able to go at least 6-7 so far.
JEFF4i is offline   Reply With Quote