Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...
Bills
GAMEDAY
September 11, 2014, 8:25pm ET
CBS

Old 12-14-2009, 04:26 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Could streak reach eight?

Could streak reach eight?

By The Sports Xchange

Posted Dec 14, 2009

The stunning collapse of the Pittsburgh Steelers from 6-2 as defending super Bowl champs to 6-7 and likely shut out of a playoff spot has been inexplicable ...

... Neither players nor coaches seem to understand how this team that once talked about reaching "Seventh Heaven" and a seventh Lombardi Trophy as repeat champs could fall so hard so quickly.

Three losses in their five-game losing skid came at the hands of Kansas City, Oakland and Cleveland. With games left against Green Bay, Baltimore and Miami, the chance of ending their season with an eight-game losing streak is real. Their last eight-game skid came in 1969 when Chuck Noll's first team won its opener and lost 13 straight to finish 1-13. (I remember that year it was terrible. - mesa)

"To lose five straight coming off a Super Bowl from last year, it's embarrassing for me," said Hines Ward.

Mike Tomlin has experienced nothing like this in his short tenure with the Steelers. He won a division title in his first season as coach and a Super Bowl in his second. This will test a different part of his coaching abilities.

"I like the fight in the group," Tomlin said. "I trust that they'll continue to do that. It's a close-knit group; I trust that they'll continue to stick together. But fighting and sticking together is not going to win football games. Performance is and preparation is, and we have an extended week here in preparation for our next performance so we better make moves to get that done."

Tomlin promised moves [Editor's note: When asked which moves Tomlin would consider, he said "subtle in some areas, maybe not so subtle in others"], before the Steelers lost in Cleveland last Thursday night. He did not back up those threats, however, making no changes in his starting lineup or in his schemes. The subtle ones he did make were practically indiscernible -- rookie cornerback Joe Burnett played four series as a sub on both sides, starting halfback Rashard Mendenhall played on third downs instead of Mewelde Moore, Moore was used as a kickoff returner, and Santonio Holmes was used as a part-time punt returner.

Tomlin again hinted at more changes this week as the Green Bay Packers head to Heinz Field for a Sunday game where the fans could show their displeasure for the home team's collapse.

"None of those things of course were effective in determining the outcome of the game," Tomlin said of those small personnel changes he made in Cleveland. "We'll continue to take that approach moving forward."

Ward believes these final three games will tell something about this team as it moves forward with all the offseason decisions facing it.

"A lot of gut check," he said. "With three games left, you're going to see who really wants to go out here and play for the pride for this organization, for our city, and who doesn't want to be around here."

LINEUP WATCH: A number of lineup changes could occur for the Steelers for Sunday's game against Green Bay. The most logical would be rookie Joe Burnett earning his first start at left cornerback for William Gay. [Editor's note: This writer has apparently not watched Ike Taylor play the last two games.]

BY THE NUMBERS: 5 -- The Steelers' five-game losing streak is their longest since 2003. They last lost six in a row in 1999 when they finished 6-10.

PLAYER/PERSONNEL NOTES

* WR Hines Ward, 33, needs 57 yards receiving for his sixth 1,000-yard season.

* WR Santonio Holmes recorded his first 1,000-yard receiving season in his fourth in the NFL. He has 1,080 yards and improved his average to 15.4 yards per catch.

* TE Heath Miller needs three more receptions to own the single-season record for Steelers tight ends. Eric Green caught 63 in 1993.

* RB Rashard Mendenhall, in his second season, needs 60 yards for his first 1,000-yard rushing season.

* QB Ben Roethlisberger needs 654 yards passing in his final three games to become the franchise's first quarterback with 4,000 yards in a season.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 04:29 PM   #2
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353
Default Re: Could streak reach eight?

Of Course it could!

In fact, what evidence do we have that it WON'T?

We lost to the worst team in football last week on the road.

We lost to one of the 4 worst teams AT HOME the week before.

And we lost to one of the 3 worst teams on the road the week before that.

This is simple. We are a HORRIBLE football team and all 3 of the teams we have to finish against are A) Not, and B) Actually IN the playoff hunt.
Old 12-14-2009, 05:21 PM   #3
AllD
Team Owner

Member Number: 11931

Empty the bench like a clown car. That will tell you who wants to be in the big tent and who gets fed to the lions. I would forget about setting personal records this season because the only important one is wins to losses.
Old 12-14-2009, 05:26 PM   #4
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
Of Course it could!

In fact, what evidence do we have that it WON'T?

We lost to the worst team in football last week on the road.

We lost to one of the 4 worst teams AT HOME the week before.

And we lost to one of the 3 worst teams on the road the week before that.

This is simple. We are a HORRIBLE football team and all 3 of the teams we have to finish against are A) Not, and B) Actually IN the playoff hunt.
We also beat a couple of pretty good teams this year. One of them just beat the AFCN division leader this weekend. And we damn near beat Baltimore with our hands tied behind our backs. Never underestimate this team. We may not make the playoffs, but they will still give us some proud moments.
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 05:35 PM   #5
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

I really think we can win all three games! We have some issues but still a talented UNDERACHIEVING team.
Old 12-14-2009, 06:45 PM   #6
SteelerEmpire
Team Owner

Member Number: 14355
Thanked 1,904 Times in 862 Posts

At the level this team is playing at... it would be highly unusual if this team could pull of one single win in the remainder of this season... the "norm" for the Steelers as of right now is to lose to "any " team they play... that's called "inductive" reasoning... and its also called the cold, hard, truth....

A HOUSE DIVIDED WILL FALL TO IT'S ENEMIES;
BUT IN UNITY THERE ARE 6' SUPER BOWLS !!!
SteelerEmpire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 08:07 PM   #7
MaidenIndiana
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 10557
My Mood: Twisted

At the begining of the season I didn't think it was possible for the Steelers to lose to K.C., the Raiders, and the Brownies. Do I think it's possible for them to lose to the Packers, Ratbirds, and the Fins? Unfortuntely the answer is hell yes they could.
MaidenIndiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 08:39 PM   #8
steelpride12
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 5713

No just knowing our Steelers they will woop on the Packers and do even against the 6 and 6 teams because it seems we play well against teams over .500, but if they are under. Why try.
steelpride12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 10:05 PM   #9
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,009 Times in 3,426 Posts

i really dont think so. i figure we will atleast show up vs. the ravens and green bay and keep the game within a TD (i think 2 wins to atleast close out at 8-8- we simply dont have losing seasons in pgh)

now if we faced tampa bay, the rams, and detroit again i would really be worried. we have a 4 year habit of mailing it in against the piss poor teams of the league.

good thing we had the toughest schedule in history last year which led to lombardi #6.
Old 12-15-2009, 12:17 AM   #10
Steeldude
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post

This is simple. We are a HORRIBLE football team
more of your hypocrisy. if someone else said that you would be all over them with personal attacks.