Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 12-15-2009, 11:07 AM   #1
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 4,825 Times in 2,091 Posts
Default Quotes from the day Tomlin was hired

http://news.steelers.com/article/73526/

Quote:
"We are very excited to announce that Mike Tomlin has accepted the position of head coach of the Pittsburgh Steelers," said Steelers President Art Rooney II. "Mike emerged as our top choice from a pool of several very qualified candidates that we interviewed. I think Mike's core beliefs are a good match for our organization and the way we want to approach the game of football."

Mike Tomlin is first and foremost, a good person. That is the first test that you have to pass and Mike certainly passed that test with flying colors. I think in addition to that, Mike's core values are a good match for our organization. Mike wants to play the kind of football that has been the kind of football that the Pittsburgh Steelers have played and he will bring that approach to our team and I think he will play the kind of football that Steelers fans have come to appreciate through the years. So without further adieu, I am very pleased to introduce the next coach of the Pittsburgh Steelers, Mike Tomlin.
Quote:
"We feel Mike Tomlin is the ideal person to uphold the strong history and tradition of Steelers football," said Steelers Chairman Dan Rooney. "Mike possesses the qualities we were looking for as the leader of our team, and we look forward to working with him for many years to come."
Quote:
What kind of offense would you like to see?

Mike Tomlin: A fundamentalist football team that wins by attrition, that is mentally and physically tough. Of course, it is no secret in the National Football League that in order to win you have to stop the run and you have to run the ball effectively. I think to be general, that is what our football team will be about.
Quote:
I am not a very patient person. I don't know anybody that is successful in this business from a coaching standpoint that is very patient.
i am curious about mike tomlins presser/ sirius interview today and whether he re-commits to steelers football.
Old 12-15-2009, 11:10 AM   #2
Hayeksheroes
Banned

Member Number: 15387
Default Re: Quotes from the day Tomlin was hired

Tomlin said all the right things. He was being diplomatic. Give him a chance. Tomlin will now how to prove his worth to pull the Steelers out of a hole. I will stick with the guy at least through next year.

The only thing that worries me is that Tomlin says things and then does the opposite. I hope that is not a trend.
Hayeksheroes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 11:31 AM   #3
Shoes
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 6382

Let us know how that interview went Tony. While I'm troubled by what I have seen and heard from Mike T, I have full trust that the Rooney's won't let this get out of control. This is Mike's first real test of this kind. He's young and I'm sure intimidated at times but he'll get his sea legs.... Iron sharpens Iron......and maybe a house cleaning will be what the doctor ordered since he was left with things that didn't have his print on.
Shoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 08:08 PM   #4
tony hipchest

still wondering if there will be a re-commitment to steelers football. if not mike is proving to be VERY patient.
Old 01-06-2010, 08:54 PM   #5
Psyychoward86
Living Legend

Member Number: 10772

This is his first time being buried under true pressure. Let's see how he responds.
Psyychoward86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 08:59 PM   #6
lionslicer
Team President

Member Number: 12850

This is Tomlins first non-playoff birth year. Every coach, not matter how good will have years he doesn't make the playoffs, and have years his defense sucks, and have years his offense sucks. Its the nature of the game.
lionslicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 09:31 PM   #7
Glace
Team Captain

Member Number: 3609

Translation = "uhh...this will....uhh....make....uhh....steelers fans....uhhh....love me...uhh..."

I wish the writers would put it in the articles and Q&A's how many times he says "uhh" when speaking....
Glace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 09:48 PM   #8
tony hipchest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glace View Post
I wish the writers would put it in the articles and Q&A's how many times he says "uhh" when speaking....
actually my six year old girl pointed that out 2 weeks ago when we were driving somewhere and listening to his weekly spot on sirius.

she then critisized another former gm who was a guest a few days later and doing the same thing.

she is very articulate and well spoken (sometimes, seemingly, to a " chatty patty" fault)
Old 01-06-2010, 10:43 PM   #9
Glace
Team Captain

Member Number: 3609

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
actually my six year old girl pointed that out 2 weeks ago when we were driving somewhere and listening to his weekly spot on sirius.

she then critisized another former gm who was a guest a few days later and doing the same thing.

she is very articulate and well spoken (sometimes, seemingly, to a " chatty patty" fault)
For the record, I think Tomlin is pretty well-spoken himself.

As many times as he fits "uhh" into a sentence kinda dumbs him down a bit though.

And I'm just picking on the guy. I don't want this to be construed as me calling him an idiot or anything.
Glace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 10:45 PM   #10
Vincent
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 10927

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glace View Post
For the record, I think Tomlin is pretty well-spoken himself.
There are a number of things one might say about MT. "Well spoken" isn't one of them.

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress & the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution,
but overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution."

Abraham Lincoln
Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote