Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 12-16-2009, 11:40 AM   #1
BlastFurnace
Living Legend

Member Number: 6321
Default Bettis: The Steelers have Lost their Spirit

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-their-spirit/

"The Steelers are done. It's not official yet, but pretty much. When you lose your spirit, then everything is pretty much gone," Bettis said on the Dan Patrick Show Wednesday. "And that's what I saw when they hit the field against the Cleveland Browns."

We've heard Bettis speak on a variety of football topics and he's usually cautious to throw a team, especially his former team, under the . . . well, you know.

"It tells me the leadership isn't there," Bettis said. "There was a lack of commitment. The season is basically over."

Bettis doesn't think that Mike Tomlin's message is getting through to the team. Tomlin has largely avoided criticism during the team's collapse, but Bettis' words are noteworthy.

"I know there had to be a disconnect between the head coach's message and the players. You hear coach Tomlin talking about unleashing hell, and they go out and lay an egg . . . I don't think the players responded to it in practice, either week in practice: The Oakland week or the Cleveland week."

Tomlin isn't going anywhere, so Bettis' comments make us think the Steelers could be in for some dramatic roster movement this offseason to find players willing to listen.

Who performs over the next three weeks may go a long way towards deciding what Steelers get to stay.
BlastFurnace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 12:23 PM   #2
BIGBENFASTWILLIE
Living Legend

Member Number: 618
Default Re: Bettis: The Steelers have Lost their Spirit

So are we in a rebuilding stage?
Old 12-16-2009, 12:28 PM   #3
Sharkissle29
Team President

Member Number: 910

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBENFASTWILLIE View Post
So are we in a rebuilding stage?
i dont think you should call it rebuilding, more like remodeling
Old 12-16-2009, 12:35 PM   #4
SteelerEmpire
Team Owner

Member Number: 14355
Thanked 1,718 Times in 791 Posts

Drop the hammer on em Tomlin... the situation calls for it. Theirs a LONG list of individuals that would love the opportunity to play football for the Pittsburgh Steelers... as well as coaches wanting to be on the coaching staff...

A HOUSE DIVIDED WILL FALL TO IT'S ENEMIES;
BUT IN UNITY THERE ARE 6' SUPER BOWLS !!!
SteelerEmpire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 12:43 PM   #5
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlastFurnace View Post
Tomlin isn't going anywhere, so Bettis' comments make us think the Steelers could be in for some dramatic roster movement this offseason to find players willing to listen.

Who performs over the next three weeks may go a long way towards deciding what Steelers get to stay.
I don't know if that's necessarily the case. Just the fact that it's a new season will probably go a long way toward refocusing people next year. And maybe if some young guys get playing time and do well, or if they do well in training camp, that'll light a fire under the rest of the guys, kind of a reality check that you need to produce results to keep your job. But I don't see any wholesale roster moves just for the sake of sending a message.

If it's true that the team has checked out mentally and just wants to get this season behind them ... well, yeah, it'll be pretty difficult to salvage much from the last three games, whether they're technically still alive for the playoffs or not.
Old 12-16-2009, 12:58 PM   #6
madtowndrunkard
Team Captain

Member Number: 11280

This team is WAY too talented to just blow up.

I see the need for a few minor upgrades player wise. The biggest changes need to be made to the coaching staff. You cannot get rid of all your players because they have no faith in the coaching staff. If nothing changes coaching wise we'll have the same issues next year and bringing in new players isnt going to fix it. The corp of our team is going no where.

To fix this situation Tomlin needs to look in the mirror. He needs to show he holds his staff accountable for this monumental collapse. Meaning most everyone on the offensive side of the ball should be shown the door. We need new blood on offense coaching this team. The offense needs to be re energized and I think an experienced and proven OC would make a world of difference.

The ST's coaches need to be replaced for obvious reasons. No discussion needed.

Defensively Coach Lebeau knows what he's doing. I think most of our issues defensively had to do with injuries and a few of underachievers ( Taylor, Gay, and Timmons.) One would hope that Timmons, Gay, and Hood will improve next year. Adding a good corner and up grading our FS would go along way IMO to making our defense deadly once again. Hampton is a big ? I feel that we need to re sign him, but it may not be in the cards. If we need to replace Hampton then I suspect it will be with our #1 draft pick.

As for Bettis's comments - this isnt the first time this kind of thing has been said. I think it speaks volumes about what the players think of Tomlin and his staff. I'm sure ownership will give him one more year to right the ship.

If I were running the team I'd do everything in my power to bring back Coach Cowher. Say what you want about Tomlin (good or bad) there's no doubt Cowher is the better coach. And I'm not saying Tomlin is a bad coach. I personally think the verdict is still out on Tomlin. Next year will tell us if he's good or not. But if I want to win games now....I have more faith in Cowher, who happens to be a proven future HOF coach.
madtowndrunkard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 01:00 PM   #7
T.Richardson
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 10617

Quote:
Originally Posted by madtowndrunkard View Post

I see the need for a few minor upgrades player wise. The biggest changes need to be made to the coaching staff. You cannot get rid of all your players because they have no faith in the coaching staff. If nothing changes coaching wise we'll have the same issues next year and bringing in new players isnt going to fix it. The corp of our team is going no where.

To fix this situation Tomlin needs to look in the mirror. He needs to show he holds his staff accountable for this monumental collapse. Meaning most everyone on the offensive side of the ball should be shown the door. We need new blood on offense coaching this team. The offense needs to be re energized and I think an experienced and proven OC would make a world of difference.

Defensively Coach Lebeau knows what he's doing. I think most of our issues defensively had to do with injuries and a few of underachievers ( Taylor, Gay, and Timmons.) One would hope that Timmons, Gay, and Hood will improve next year. Adding a good corner and up grading our FS would go along way IMO to making our defense deadly once again. Hampton is a big ? I feel that we need to re sign him, but it may not be in the cards. If we need to replace Hampton then I suspect it will be with our #1 draft pick.

As for Bettis's comments - this isnt the first time this kind of thing has been said. I think it speaks volumes about what the players think of Tomlin and his staff. I'm sure ownership will give him one more year to right the ship.

If I were running the team I'd do everything in my power to bring back Coach Cowher. Say what you want about Tomlin (good or bad) there's no doubt Cowher is the better coach. And I'm not saying Tomlin is a bad coach. I personally think the verdict is still out on Tomlin. Next year will tell us if he's good or not.
No...just no.
Old 12-16-2009, 01:06 PM   #8
The_WARDen
Head Coach

Member Number: 7628

Quote:
Originally Posted by madtowndrunkard View Post

If I were running the team I'd do everything in my power to bring back Coach Cowher. Say what you want about Tomlin (good or bad) there's no doubt Cowher is the better coach. And I'm not saying Tomlin is a bad coach. I personally think the verdict is still out on Tomlin. Next year will tell us if he's good or not. But if I want to win games now....I have more faith in Cowher, who happens to be a proven future HOF coach.
WOW!!

After reading the idiotic threads over the past couple of weeks, I ask the question - "Who is worse...Steeler fans or Eagles fans?" Keep in mind that Eagle fans do not know what it's like to win a SB much less 6 and 2 this decade.
The_WARDen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 03:08 PM   #9
WH

Member Number:

Madtown....

are you being sarcastic?
Old 12-16-2009, 03:11 PM   #10
NJarhead
BewbmeisterExtraordinaire
Supporter

Member Number: 1932