Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

 Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers


Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2006, 03:38 PM   #1
Avoid Lloyd
Bench Warmer
 
Avoid Lloyd's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 155
Member Number: 1024
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Expert Picks.

Sportsline Picks

50/50.

It seems some people still think the Seahawks had as a tough a playoff schedule as the Steelers...

If the Steelers play as well as they have the past 2 weeks then this game won't even be close.
Avoid Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 03:58 PM   #2
SteelerDan43
Banned
Supporter
 
SteelerDan43's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: From Pittsburgh, currently going to school in Rochester
Posts: 1,157
Gender: Male
Member Number: 811
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Expert Picks.

Those guys are morons, not even .500 for the playoffs. Us non experts of SF have picked better than them...
SteelerDan43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 04:33 PM   #3
Hammer67
Head Coach
Supporter
 
Hammer67's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: New Boston, MI (originally from Moon Township, PA)
Posts: 1,988
Gender: Male
Member Number: 651
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Expert Picks.

Remember that they are picking against the spread so they aren't necessarily saying the Steelers are losing...just that the Seahawks are going to cover...
__________________


"Socialism is the philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy. Its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill

Hammer67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 05:38 PM   #4
Hawk Believer
Team Captain
 
Hawk Believer's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Seattle
Posts: 866
Member Number: 1580
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Expert Picks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avoid Lloyd
Sportsline Picks

50/50.

It seems some people still think the Seahawks had as a tough a playoff schedule as the Steelers...

If the Steelers play as well as they have the past 2 weeks then this game won't even be close.
Nobody in their right mind would say the Seahawks had as tough a playoff schedule as the Sqealers. The Seahawks had to play one less game and got to play both at home. And the NFC overall was weaker. Props to your guys for winning an unprecedented 3 on the road against 1-2-3 seeds.

That being said, (besides being in the NFC) the Hawks earned the right to have an easier playoff road.

What I don't understand about your argument how you say that these analysts' spread picks mean they think the Hawks played as tough a playoff schedule. Where does it say that?

Its got to be a little wierd to get used to being the favorite after the intense season you ahave had so far. But that shouldn't mean you have to make stuff up to feel like an underdog. Embrace the respect your team is finally getting and remember none of these picks mean jack unless you're betting.

Heres to a great game.
__________________
A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man. - Jebediah Springfield
Hawk Believer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 06:24 PM   #5
momper
Water Boy
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 33
Member Number: 1569
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Expert Picks.

"That being said, (besides being in the NFC) the Hawks earned the right to have an easier playoff road. "

Do you mean they luckily had an easy schedule and got lucky in games?

NYG missed 3 FG
Vick was injured in the 4th quarter of the falcons game
Played the colts...second string
beat dallas because Bledsoe threw the stupidest pass ever while they were driving to win the game
lost to jacksonville and redskins

then when they played the redskins portis had two injured shoulders, their back-up CENTER had to play guard, wynn was out, brunell was injured, and Thrash was injured

Carolina played without jenkins, an injured peppers, and their FOURTH string running back.

I wouldn't exactly call that earning their spot, just a lot of luck :]
played a bunch of terrible teams in regular season and injured teams in the playoffs.
momper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 06:39 PM   #6
Hammer67
Head Coach
Supporter
 
Hammer67's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: New Boston, MI (originally from Moon Township, PA)
Posts: 1,988
Gender: Male
Member Number: 651
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Expert Picks.

However it gets done...if you are the #1 seed in the conference and are in the Super Bowl...you are doing something right in the NFL...
__________________


"Socialism is the philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy. Its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill

Hammer67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 08:15 PM   #7
Hawk Believer
Team Captain
 
Hawk Believer's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Seattle
Posts: 866
Member Number: 1580
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Expert Picks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momper
I wouldn't exactly call that earning their spot, just a lot of luck :]
played a bunch of terrible teams in regular season and injured teams in the playoffs.

"Do you mean they luckily had an easy schedule and got lucky in games?"
They won 13 of the 16 games that were scheduled. Sure, they played in a weaker division. But the division looked even weaker because the Hawks won all of their divisional games.

"NYG missed 3 FG and beat dallas because Bledsoe threw the stupidest pass ever while they were driving to win the game."

So they Seahawks won two games that they probably should have lost. Previous Hawks teams had a habit of being in the position of the Cowboys and Giants in those games: snatching defeat from the jaws of victory... Those games show that this team will not quit, even when it looks like they have no chance.

Dynasties like your Steelers of yore are made of teams that believe they can win even when they probably shouldn't. Hopefully this Hawks team keeps winning occasional games like that and become a team that will be remembered.


"Played the colts...second string"

And then the Hawks lost to Green Bay with a pre-season package the following week.It really is too bad the Hawks and Colts didn't get to play when it meant something. Would have been a hell of a game I bet. And would have made good fodder for all the smack going down this week.

"Vick was injured in the 4th quarter of the falcons game."

I can't believe I am hearing this from a Squealers fan. See Palmer comments below.

"lost to jacksonville and redskins"

OMG! You sure got us there. The Hawks lost their 1st and 4th games of the season. They actually won a few after that point though.

"then when they played the redskins portis had two injured shoulders, their back-up CENTER had to play guard, wynn was out, brunell was injured, and Thrash was injured"

Of course Seattle was "lucky" enough to play without out the NFL MVP as well.

"Carolina played without jenkins, an injured peppers, and their FOURTH string running back. "

And why was RB Goings, a guy who has put up multiple 100+ yard performances not playing? Oh yeah, Tatupu rung his bell. And then he proceeded to play the rest of the game inspite of getting a concussion himself.

The point is, all teams deal with injuries, especially by the time the playoffs role around. But the best teams win in spite of injuries because they play like a team and fill the gaps.


Momper, here is what you would sound like if you were analyzing the Steelers playoff run.

-They only beat the Bengals because Palmer got injured.
-They only beat the Colts because of a lucky shoestring tackle by the quarterback and the NFL's most accurate FG kicker missed a gimmee.
-They only beat the Broncos because they got lucky to play an weak QB who had been playing over his head for weeks. Plus the Broncos lost big in all their big games right?


But it would be stupid to say that. The Steelers did what it took to make it to the Super Bowl. So did the Seahawks.

Mompers, it hurts me to say this, but maybe you should think about become a Bengal fan. It sounds like it would be a better fit for you.

Luck is what happens when preparation meets oppurtunity. - Seneca
__________________
A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man. - Jebediah Springfield

Last edited by Hawk Believer; 01-28-2006 at 08:28 PM.
Hawk Believer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 08:16 PM   #8
Hawk Believer
Team Captain
 
Hawk Believer's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Seattle
Posts: 866
Member Number: 1580
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Expert Picks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer67
However it gets done...if you are the #1 seed in the conference and are in the Super Bowl...you are doing something right in the NFL...
Word.
__________________
A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man. - Jebediah Springfield
Hawk Believer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 08:26 PM   #9
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
 
tony hipchest's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Give me back my game...
Posts: 39,864
Member Number: 658
Thanks: 2,147
Thanked 9,530 Times in 3,968 Posts
Default Re: Expert Picks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk Believer
[I]

Luckis what happens when preparation meets oppurtunity. - Seneca
please tell me youre not quoting seneca wallace!
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 08:32 PM   #10
Hawk Believer
Team Captain
 
Hawk Believer's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Seattle
Posts: 866
Member Number: 1580
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Expert Picks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest
please tell me youre not quoting seneca wallace!
No, I am not aware of any Seneca Wallace aphorisms. Give him some time.

I am impressed that you know who he is though.
__________________
A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man. - Jebediah Springfield
Hawk Believer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum
no new posts