Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 12-17-2009, 06:01 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Steelers' Ward sticks with decision to play

Steelers' Ward sticks with decision to play
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...s_658117.html#
By Mark Kaboly
Daily News Sports Editor
Thursday, December 17, 2009

Steelers wide receiver Hines Ward's injured hamstring was nowhere near 100 percent last week against Cleveland, but he said Wednesday that he wouldn't go back on his decision of playing.

"In hindsight, I would do it again," Ward said. "I gave it my best, and we lost the game."

Ward strained his hamstring on the second-to-last play of the Dec. 6 loss to Oakland. He played four days later in Cleveland and caught four passes for 21 yards in a 13-6 loss to the Browns.

Ward missed practice yesterday as he always does Wednesdays, but he expects to play Sunday against Green Bay.

"I am getting better every day," Ward said.

The Steelers' locker room had a little more upbeat feel to it compared to last week. But Ward wasn't one of the guys clowning around.

"I am still upset about things," he said. "(But) you can't dwell on the past. Hopefully, we can focus on playing Green Bay."

Running back Willie Parker toed the company line when asked if the team got away from the run game too early last week against Cleveland.

"We are always going to live by the motto that coaches coach and players play," Parker said. "Whatever they call, we have to execute it to the fullest, and we didn't do that."

Not practicing for the Steelers yesterday were LB James Farrior (not injury related), C Justin Hartwig (knee), S Troy Polamalu (knee), WR Limas Sweed (illness) and Ward (hamstring). Limited in practice were DE Brett Keisel (neck) and G Chris Kemoeatu.

Mark Kaboly can be reached at mkaboly@dailynewsemail.com or 412-664-9161.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 07:24 AM   #2
WH

Member Number:
Default Re: Steelers' Ward sticks with decision to play

Ward playing last week hurt the team more than it helped. But it's good to hear that he'll be ready for Sunday.
Old 12-18-2009, 01:33 PM   #3
markymarc
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 2292

Quote:
Originally Posted by wineshard View Post
Ward playing last week hurt the team more than it helped. But it's good to hear that he'll be ready for Sunday.
I disagree about the part with Ward playing against the Browns hurting the team more than helping them. Hines Ward still had 21 out of the total 201 passing yards against the Browns. Santonio Holmes was the high man with 93 yards. IMO Ward showed more heart than most of the Steelers against the Browns. He knew what was at stake and tried to help the team still stay alive in the playoff race. That says more to me than a lot of the 100% healthy players that also played against the Browns.
markymarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 01:47 PM   #4
WH

Member Number:

Quote:
Originally Posted by markymarc View Post
I disagree about the part with Ward playing against the Browns hurting the team more than helping them. Hines Ward still had 21 out of the total 201 passing yards against the Browns. Santonio Holmes was the high man with 93 yards. IMO Ward showed more heart than most of the Steelers against the Browns. He knew what was at stake and tried to help the team still stay alive in the playoff race. That says more to me than a lot of the 100% healthy players that also played against the Browns.
I can see where you coming from. But Wednesday, the day before the game, could you find 9 out of 10 people that would have thought it was nescessary for Hines to play?

Maybe Hines thought that with the Browns playing with a bad secondary he only needed to be at 60%-75% to perform well? I can't tell you what he was thinking.

You can't predict what would have happened if Ward would have sat and they played Sweed.

Does Sweed drop a pass, and get crucified promptly thereafter?
Does Sweed catch 3 passes for 21 yards?
Maybe Sweed gets that, almost, guaranteed separation from the terrible Cleveland DB's and catches the long ball TD that we needed...Steelers win, Sweeds a hero, and The Steelers season doesn't look to end so soon.

Even if your painting with as broad of strokes as I am....Wednesday before the game Ward sitting against Cleveland made just as much sense as him playing with a bumb hammy.

Even worse, what if Ward plays in those conditions and aggrivates the injury more and he's out for the season?

Obviously what happened, happened, but I can't help but wonder.

Won't matter come Sunday, he'll be on the field and he'll still be my favorite Steeler.
Old 12-19-2009, 10:07 PM   #5
markymarc
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 2292

Listen I get both sides of the story with Ward playing against the Stains. I do agree that it might have made more sense to have Ward sit with his hamstring injury, but Hines Ward is a warrior and he knew what was at stake and wanted to try and help the Steelers win. Unfortunately it didn't work out with a victory.

And yes I would love to see Sweed see the field more. I truly believe he should be given more opportunities to make plays for this offense. I know Mike Wallace is going to be a special WR for us, but to me this season should have been about letting Limas Sweed help this offense and that didn't happen. I still believe Sweed can be a WR for us, but it appears his time may be running out.
markymarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 02:23 AM   #6
pepsyman1
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 10824

Quote:
Originally Posted by wineshard View Post
I can see where you coming from. But Wednesday, the day before the game, could you find 9 out of 10 people that would have thought it was nescessary for Hines to play?

Maybe Hines thought that with the Browns playing with a bad secondary he only needed to be at 60%-75% to perform well? I can't tell you what he was thinking.

You can't predict what would have happened if Ward would have sat and they played Sweed.

Does Sweed drop a pass, and get crucified promptly thereafter?
Does Sweed catch 3 passes for 21 yards?
Maybe Sweed gets that, almost, guaranteed separation from the terrible Cleveland DB's and catches the long ball TD that we needed...Steelers win, Sweeds a hero, and The Steelers season doesn't look to end so soon.

Even if your painting with as broad of strokes as I am....Wednesday before the game Ward sitting against Cleveland made just as much sense as him playing with a bumb hammy.

Even worse, what if Ward plays in those conditions and aggrivates the injury more and he's out for the season?

Obviously what happened, happened, but I can't help but wonder.

Won't matter come Sunday, he'll be on the field and he'll still be my favorite Steeler.
Wallace is the faster receiver we have, so I am unconcerned with what Sweed would have been able to do. As it was, it didn't matter cuz Ben didn't have enough time to get the ball out on most of the medium patterns, let alone a long fly pattern.
pepsyman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 02:41 AM   #7
WH

Member Number:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepsyman1 View Post
Wallace is the faster receiver we have, so I am unconcerned with what Sweed would have been able to do. As it was, it didn't matter cuz Ben didn't have enough time to get the ball out on most of the medium patterns, let alone a long fly pattern.
Very good point.