Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 12-17-2009, 07:24 PM   #1
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656
Default I smelled this coming a mile away

Everyone in Cinci is talking about what a "great guy" Chris Henry was. A few winning games...and they all develop amnesia. Mike Brown is the "great Redeemer". ("sign any piece of crud, as long as we win" is his motto, if you ask me.)

This is so typical of this city. I bet if he had died during a losing season, his jerseys would still be in the store, 50% off. Now they are making him into some kind of saint.

Don't kill me here. I'm saddened like anybody else at a life wasted. The fact that he died young can't surprise anybody. But these fans will sugarcoat anything just to win.

http://www.wcpo.com/news/local/story...azgif64zQ.cspx

CINCINNATI, Ohio -- A steady surge of Bengals fans made their way to Koch's Sporting Goods on Fourth Street Thursday.

Many, like Debbie Davis, were looking for anything with Chris Henry's name on it.

She explains, "My 16-year-old said 'can I get a Chris Henry jersey for Christmas?' and I said, good idea. So we tried to get one online, but I'm here."
Wendell Fails tried to talk her out of it. "I tried to offer the lady more money for it but she wouldn't sell it," he said.

But he's not giving up. "I 'm just gonna have to search around the city, see what I can find."

The demand took Eric Koch at the store off guard. "We opened at 9:30 this morning and by 11:00 they were all gone. Every single jersey we had we sold in about an hour and a half's time this morning."

Even the last authentic stitched jersey was gone from the wall for $270.

Fans like Todd Gray had developed a love for the man they called "Slim."

Gray says, "I saw it when I woke up this morning. It was all over the TV. Chris Henry died. It's one of the worst feelings I've ever had."

Over at the Bengals' Pro Shop, Wendell Fails was still coming up empty. Not even a picture. "Looks like they sold 'em out already," he sighed.

Then finally, he found a calendar. Not a great picture, but at least you could see him. "There he is right there," Fails says, pointing on the back page. "That's the only thing in this store with Chris Henry. And even his number's covered, but you can see his name up there," he describes.

And while it was tough to find #15 merchandise, holding on to memories will be a lot easier.

Copyright 2009 The E.W. Scripps Co. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 07:27 PM   #2
NJarhead
BewbmeisterExtraordinaire
Supporter

Member Number: 1932
Thanked 3,153 Times in 1,324 Posts
My Mood: Inspired
Default Re: I smelled this coming a mile away

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillers4me View Post
Everyone in Cinci is talking about what a "great guy" Chris Henry was. A few winning games...and they all develop amnesia. Mike Brown is the "great Redeemer". (sign any piece of crud, just win is his motto, if you ask me.)

This is so typical of this city. I bet if he had died during a losing season, his jerseys would still be in the store, 50% off. Now they are making him into some kind of saint.

Don't kill me here. I'm saddened like anybody else at a life wasted. The fact that he died young can't surprise anybody. But these fans will sugarcoat anything just to win.
To win what? By all accounts he was doing everything he should have been doing to turn it around.

Not "killing you," but I don't understand the need for this thread.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:32 PM   #3
stillers4me
Living Legend

They have always made excuses here for him. Nobody cares what any player does off the field as long as they are winning. I guess you have to live in Cinci to understand how different it is than in Pittsburgh. This guy was picked up on a DUI on the same road my son and his family lives on. That makes me a little cynical about giving guys like this chance after chance to play football.

Sad that he died, I feel bad for his family. It's the fanbase in this town that drives me crazy. He was a menace for the majority of the time here. A judge described him as one man crime spree. Now he's a martyr.
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."
Old 12-17-2009, 07:38 PM   #4
NJarhead
BewbmeisterExtraordinaire
Supporter

Member Number: 1932
Thanked 3,153 Times in 1,324 Posts
My Mood: Inspired

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillers4me View Post
They have always made excuses here for him. Nobody cares what any player does off the field as long as they are winning. I guess you have to live in Cinci to understand how different it is than in Pittsburgh. This guy was picked up on a DUI on the same road my son and his family lives on. That makes me a little cynical about giving guys like this chance after chance to play football.

Sad that he died, I feel bad for his family. It's the fanbase in this town that drives me crazy. He was a menace for the majority of the time here, a judge described him as one man crime spree. Now he's a martyr.
Well, I can understand your feelings a bit.

But he is gone now.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:41 PM   #5
stillers4me
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWarDen86 View Post
Well, I can understand your feelings a bit.

But he is gone now.
And as the mother of a son who is the same age as Chris Henry, that makes me sad, too.

And as far as Mike Brown goes, it's more about winning than doing anything out of the goodness of his heart. Everybody here has been hating on him for the longest itme, and now he's just a swell guy. Larry Johnson, anyone? And Shaun Smith is back on the roster this week.

Ehhhh...never mind. You really have to be here.

RIP, Slim. I hope you have found the peace you were searching for.

Last edited by stillers4me; 12-17-2009 at 07:56 PM.
Old 12-17-2009, 08:20 PM   #6
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,359 Times in 4,302 Posts

i hear ya, stiller4me. everyone is waxing poetic how he was a shining success story, how he was healed from his thuggish ways, and his life had turned around.

but theres alot to this story we still dont know. in released 911 calls, witnesses say he was pounding on the roof, and glass of the truck if he were about to break it. will we ever hear a toxicology report.

if she didnt flee in the truck, would we have read of him in a drunken or coke induced rage, beating his fiancee to a bloody pulp? was she fleeing for her life because possibly he threatened it?

theres a very fine line of events that may very well be the difference of him being perceived as a martyr or the same old scumbag he was always called.

until the events are revealed (and assuming his fiancee ever comes clean with what really happened) i will reserve judgement, and try to be respectful for those who wish to mourn (but if it were cedric wilson, i think i woulda held off on the $270 jersey purchase).
Old 12-17-2009, 08:30 PM   #7
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Scumbag, martyr, saint, druggie, drunk - call him whatever floats your boat. Doesn't take away from the fact that three little kids have to grow up without their father who I truly believe was trying to turn his life around. No one yet knows the circumstances which led to his reported behavior on that truck or the unfortunate accident that claimed his young life. Until the entire story is revealed, I don't want to pass judgment on a dead man.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 08:30 PM   #8
xfl2001fan
Living Legend

Member Number: 8741

I hear ya, stillers4me. Something like this happened when I was in the Navy once. This guy was a total ass on the ship...and he died in a tragic 4-wheeling accident. When we were doing the Burial At Sea ceremony, some of the guys who were telling everyone what a "great guy and great friend" he was...had (two days before the death) been swearing about how they couldn't stand him. I maintained my silence...at the hypocrites and to keep from disrespecting the guy while his family was present...but his death didn't change what his life was.

It must have something to do with human nature. :shrug: I must not be human enough.
Old 12-17-2009, 08:57 PM   #9
stillers4me
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
Scumbag, martyr, saint, druggie, drunk - call him whatever floats your boat. Doesn't take away from the fact that three little kids have to grow up without their father who I truly believe was trying to turn his life around. No one yet knows the circumstances which led to his reported behavior on that truck or the unfortunate accident that claimed his young life. Until the entire story is revealed, I don't want to pass judgment on a dead man.
My post was less of a judgement on the man's life and more of a judgement on what I witnessed from cinci fans. I was shocked (but not surprised) and saddened as well. 9 wins has certainly given the guy a one shot ticket to sainthood and the fans instant myopia.
Old 12-17-2009, 09:08 PM   #10
steelwalls
Starter

Member Number: 13927

Im going to be totally honest here. Had I been caught as a young man doing half the dumb/crazy things I ever did I probably would not be here right now. I'm not defending going against the law, but if alot of us were under the microscope like he was well people may be singing a different tune about him.

I think everyone has at least that one person in their family that has made or makes poor decisions, I just can't bring myself to down someone who was so young and made mistakes, especially after such a terrible death.