Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 12-18-2009, 06:04 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Nobody asked me, but . . .

Nobody asked me, but . . .
http://community.post-gazette.com/bl...k/default.aspx
By Bob Smizik | Friday, 12:30 a.m.

* Since someone accused me yesterday of calling Bruce Arians ``an offensive genius,’’ I’d like to take this time to define my stance on the much-maligned Steelers offensive coordinator. I have never called him a genius or any term remotely similar. I have frequently defended him because I think the criticisms of him range from unfair to ridiculous. He’s not the best offensive coordinator in the league and he’s not the worst. The Steelers did not win a Super Bowl last year in spite of him.

* I often have introduced the yards-per-game and yards-per-play statistic to defend Arians. I have used these numbers only to show Arians is not a blathering idiot when it comes to play calling and not to suggest he‘s a genius. A team is not fourth in the AFC and ninth in NFL in those categories with an offensive coordinator whose play-calling is as predictably as Arians’ critics contend.

* I often have introduced to the discussion time of possession, a statistic in which the Steelers rank fourth in the NFL. This is not meant to praise Arians but only to point out the Steelers defense has not been on the field too long, as many contend.

* I have been critical of Arians for not running enough this season and believe a ground game is the heart of a great offense. Hopefully, Arians is gaining more confidence in Rashard Mendenhall because the Steelers Bruce Ariansneed to emphasize the run Sunday against the Green Bay Packers.

* This may or may not be affecting his play, but Ben Roethlisberger looks to heavy.

(Rest of article not about the Steelers. - mesa)
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 06:38 AM   #2
BigBen'sSwagger
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 15463
Default Re: Nobody asked me, but . . .

As the Emperor Chaz stated "Stats are for losers"

1. Tired of seeing empty backfield when you are facing some of the worst rush defenses in the league.

2. 3rd and 1 in a shotgun formation not once twice???

3. Bruce is the WORST OC in the league

4. We won the Superbowl last year with Mitch Berger but I don't see him back again this year. Did we win the Superbowl despite him? If the answer is yes then I guess we could have won the Superbowl despite Bruce too.

I aint accusing you of saying B.A. is a genious just showing why I think he is the WORST OC in the league.
Old 12-18-2009, 06:41 AM   #3
Texasteel
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 8323

The Browns game cost BA a lot of support, including much of mine, but blaming him for all the bad play both on the offense a defense, which some here have, still is not fair. He may loss his job or get demoted next year and if that happens I will not complain about it. How ever I still do not see him as the drooling idiot that some are making him out to be. This team won as a team, coaches and players, and lost as a team, coaches and players. If they win again this year or next, which I believe they will, it will be as a team, coaches and players. Of course as with everyone else, this is just my opinion.

Simply, The Chief.
Texasteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 06:54 AM   #4
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

I'm with you, Tex. I still stand by my position that BA is not the reason why this team is on a downslope right now and if the FO/Tomlin deem it necessary to give him a pink slip at the end of the season, though I won't like it - I'll support their decision. I believe the man has been unfairly scapegoated and maligned and when/if he is no longer a part of the team, the haters will find someone else to hate on, even if the Steelers finish undefeated next season, win the division and conference titles and the Super Bowl. I read enough hate around here after the Steelers won last year's big game to support my opinion on that.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 08:03 AM   #5
SteelMember
Team Owner

Member Number: 8745

Quote:
* This may or may not be affecting his play, but Ben Roethlisberger looks to heavy.
"You look like the piss boy."

"Well, you look like a bucket of Sh!t."

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll
SteelMember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 12:04 PM   #6
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

Eh, what does Smizik know, anyway, da bum! It's the SF braintrust, baby! That's what counts!
Old 12-19-2009, 10:02 PM   #7
markymarc
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 2292

Funny how Bob wants to pull out stats to prove his point and I applaud him for that. So I am just curious if Bob decided to check out where the Steelers currently rank for scoring offense. I will give you a hint Bob and it's not in the top ten. As of today we rank #16. I could be totally wrong, but if you have a top ten offense shouldn't you also be in the top ten for scoring if your offense is truly that good?

This team has a few problems that need to be worked out and yes that does include Bruce Arians. The defense, special teams and offense can all be blamed for our 7 losses this season. I can't wait to see how Bruce Arians and the offense attack the #2 ranked defense in the Packers tomorrow.
markymarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 10:48 PM   #8
zulater
Team Owner

Member Number: 5296

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
I'm with you, Tex. I still stand by my position that BA is not the reason why this team is on a downslope right now and if the FO/Tomlin deem it necessary to give him a pink slip at the end of the season, though I won't like it - I'll support their decision. I believe the man has been unfairly scapegoated and maligned and when/if he is no longer a part of the team, the haters will find someone else to hate on, even if the Steelers finish undefeated next season, win the division and conference titles and the Super Bowl. I read enough hate around here after the Steelers won last year's big game to support my opinion on that.
Calling people "haters" because they don't think Bruce Arains is the right man to be this teams OC is being a bit of a hater yourself imo.

I thought it was time to change running backs earlair this year because I see Willie Parker as a guy who's running with old legs. Or at least that's what i thought, but now I realize I was just a player hater.

If I express the opinion that Bryant McFadden is missed and that William Gay probably isn't starter material am I a hater? I suppose so.

I like Jeff Hartwig but don't think he's up to the Steelers needs as a center? Or at least i thought I liked him, but apparently I don't like him because I'm a hater.
Old 12-19-2009, 11:19 PM   #9
Rockonsteel
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 15574

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulater View Post
Calling people "haters" because they don't think Bruce Arains is the right man to be this teams OC is being a bit of a hater yourself imo.

I thought it was time to change running backs earlair this year because I see Willie Parker as a guy who's running with old legs. Or at least that's what i thought, but now I realize I was just a player hater.

If I express the opinion that Bryant McFadden is missed and that William Gay probably isn't starter material am I a hater? I suppose so.

I like Jeff Hartwig but don't think he's up to the Steelers needs as a center? Or at least i thought I liked him, but apparently I don't like him because I'm a hater.
HATER IN THE HOUSE!!!!

Have some Haterade!!
Rockonsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 11:43 PM   #10
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulater View Post

Have you been reading this board over the past 2-3 seasons? If you have, then you would know exactly why this sentiment exists. It has nothing to do with people not thinking Arians is the right man for the OC job. It has EVERYTHING to do with him being blamed for everything under the sun, such as my favorite - blaming him for the defense not being able to hold leads late in games. If you want to criticize him for his marriage to the empty set or his playcalling in the red zone/3rd and short...that's fine. Blaming him for the defense's problems? Ridiculous. This has been explained to you and everyone else who has raised this question time and time again, but it continues to be overlooked. The bottom line is that EVERYONE shares in the blame for this debacle, and no one person deserves all of it. But that's not how it works in The Nation, unfortunately.