Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 12-20-2009, 09:40 PM   #11
BlastFurnace
Living Legend

Member Number: 6321
Default Re: The good news , and the bad news...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
Yes you are.

Go back and look at SB records. Running teams over the last 15 years simply do not win SB's. There has been 1 that has won.

SO why go back to a style of ball that is basically 1-14 in the SB???
Baltimore?
BlastFurnace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 10:20 PM   #12
VegasStlrFan
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 976

A track meet is fine if they can consistently score touchdowns. Massive yardage and field goals won't work, it lets the other team hang around. Look at tonight 1st half 3 TD's vs their 2 and were in good shape up by 7; 2nd half 3FG's 1TD vs their 3 TD's and we squeak out a win. Statistically we beat them in all 3 phases of the game but it was close because 2 red zone trips in the 4th produced only 6pts.

Another change that has to be made, if this is where were headed, is in Defensive philosophy. Track meets don't need run stuffing defensive fronts as much as they need ball hawking secondaries. We have arguably one of the best front 7 in the game and one of the worst secondaries. In a shootout, such as tonight, GB ran it 12 times and threw it 48. 48 shots at the weakest link no wonder they scored 36.
VegasStlrFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 10:20 PM   #13
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
IMHO, the Steelers win Super bowls by OWNING the line of scrimmage, and the clock.
We had over 35 minutes TOP today. I'd like to see the defense that we've become known for materialize again.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 11:25 PM   #14
pepsyman1
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 10824
Cool Re: The good news , and the bad news...

Quote:
Yes you are.

Go back and look at SB records. Running teams over the last 15 years simply do not win SB's. There has been 1 that has won.

Preacher....lots of respect for your opinion, but I'm gonna call you out a little on this one. MOST of the SB winners had balanced offensive attacks (which I know you are calling for)...There have been 3 teams in the last 15 SB that have had a significantly higher ranked run offense then passing offense (00' Ravens 5th run-22nd pass, 05 Steelers 5th run-24th pass, 07 Giants 4th run-21 pass)....but even in the balanced offenses there are another 5 winners who had higher ranked running offenses than passing. (95 Cowboys 2nd run-13th pass, 97&98 Broncos 4th&2nd run-9th&7th pass, 01&04 Patriots 13th&7th run-22nd&11th pass) and even among two of the real high flying offenses that were higher ranked in the pass (94 Niners and 99 Rams) they still had good balance (Niners 6th run-4th pass, Rams 5th run-1st pass). Superbowl teams that are way lopsided toward the pass are AS rare as those way lopside toward the run. We need to have BOTH. You don't see many teams win the Superbowl with poor running games. We did last year but we had an astounding defense....Tampa Bay ditto. Even the 06 Colts were still ranked 18th in the run.

Last edited by pepsyman1; 12-21-2009 at 12:45 AM.
pepsyman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 11:32 PM   #15
Sharkissle29
Team President

Member Number: 910

Quote:
Yes you are.

1-14?

how the hell did u come up with that number?
Old 12-21-2009, 12:41 PM   #16
pepsyman1
Bench Warmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RushHard34 View Post
1-14?

how the hell did u come up with that number?
LOL...check my last post....that 1-14 number isn't quite right.
Old 12-21-2009, 12:53 PM   #17
Bluedust
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 14019

It's a passing league now, adapt or die.
Bluedust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 12:56 PM   #18
Rick5895
Team President

Member Number: 5148

I would like to see us run more, but thats my philosophy when I coach. OUR OFFENSE TOOK ADVANTAGE OF WHAT THE PACKERS D GAVE US, we held the ball for 10 more minutes than the Packers, even when we ran more than we passed that was what our average T.O.P . People on these boards have been bitching and moaning that Arians and the O don't take advantage of what the D gives and don't adjust. NEWS FLASH, OUR OFFENSE DID THAT. What the hell more do people want, we just broke a 5 game losing streak and exhibited more character by winning than I have seen all season. Our coaching staff took chances, they never quit. WE WON. Let's be happy with that right now and see if it carries us through the rest of the season. My bet is this win and the way we won will solidify this team and we will be a lot better for it. IMO
Rick5895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 01:27 PM   #19
Florida_Steelers_Fan
Starter

Member Number: 4759

visiting this website can be very depressing at times...i stopped coming around so much because i've never seen so many "debbie downers" in all my life.

the faster everyone gets the idea out of their mind that this is not the franco harris / bam morris / jerome bettis steelers, the better off we'll all be. just because this franchise has been something 10, 20 or 30 years ago doesn't mean a thing today.

look, i'm 37 and i remember all those great steeler teams from the late 1970s on (as best as i can, as i was born in '72). but everyone just expects this team to ALWAYS have a dominating run game and stalwart defense. i'd like that too...but it's NOT guaranteed.

the problem on this team is two-fold: our o-line is not very good and our corners are awful (i still like ike taylor, but he can't carry the whole team). the steelers need to fix their problems...not try and recreate the teams of yesteryear... the sooner we all get that the better off this franchise will be. i'm ready to let go of Noll and Cowher - while i appreciated them, it's a different time, and quite possibly a different style of play will now dominate this team. i can't say i agree with that philosophy, but whatever it takes to win is all that matters to me. not how...
Old 12-21-2009, 05:45 PM   #20
pepsyman1
Bench Warmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida_Steelers_Fan View Post
visiting this website can be very depressing at times...i stopped coming around so much because i've never seen so many "debbie downers" in all my life.

the faster everyone gets the idea out of their mind that this is not the franco harris / bam morris / jerome bettis steelers, the better off we'll all be. just because this franchise has been something 10, 20 or 30 years ago doesn't mean a thing today.

look, i'm 37 and i remember all those great steeler teams from the late 1970s on (as best as i can, as i was born in '72). but everyone just expects this team to ALWAYS have a dominating run game and stalwart defense. i'd like that too...but it's NOT guaranteed.

the problem on this team is two-fold: our o-line is not very good and our corners are awful (i still like ike taylor, but he can't carry the whole team). the steelers need to fix their problems...not try and recreate the teams of yesteryear... the sooner we all get that the better off this franchise will be. i'm ready to let go of Noll and Cowher - while i appreciated them, it's a different time, and quite possibly a different style of play will now dominate this team. i can't say i agree with that philosophy, but whatever it takes to win is all that matters to me. not how...
Agreed.....BUT, you still don't see too many Superbowl Champions without at least a DECENT running game (top 15) I know Preacher suggests going back and checking the numbers....I did and my earlier post breaks down the numbers....It isn't necessary to be a top ranked rushing team, but the odds go against you if you're weak in that phase of the game.