Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 12-20-2009, 11:57 PM   #1
pepsyman1
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 10824
Lightbulb Playoffs suddenly not such a crazy idea....

As amazing as it sounds, with everything that happened today, the chances of the Steelers making the playoffs are suddenly not as hopeless as they seemed a week ago. We obviously have to win out are last two games, but if that happens there is fairly good chance that the Ravens & the Steelers would get the wild card spots. If we win out the Ravens most likely go 9-7 as well (they finish with Oakland). The other wild card team currently the Broncos have to play the Eagles next week leaving them most likely at 9-7 losing the head to head record in a 3 way tie to the Steelers & Ravens who both beat them. All the other 7-7 teams have great chances of picking up their 8th loss.

Miami plays us and would be done if we win out.
NY Jets still have to play the Colts and Bengals
Tennessee has to play San Diego this week and we've beaten them
Jacksonville has to play New England this week
Houston has Miami this week then New England

We still need help if we win out, but thanks to the help we got today we aren't looking for miracles out of teams that have no chance. We're just looking for the division winners to win the games they are favored in. Bring on the Ravens and cross your fingers!!!
pepsyman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 12:26 AM   #2
steelerchad
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 5792
Default Re: Playoffs suddenly not such a crazy idea....

At 9-7 we're OK in tiebreakers with the Broncos and Titans. We'll lose tiebreakers with the Ravens, Jets, Jaguars.

Bad stuff happens when you start throwing around other combos. If we end in a 9-7 tie with Broncos and Ravens, we get in. But add Houston to the 9-7 mix and the Broncos and Ravens get in. That's right, Houston doesn't get in, but their presence at 9-7 takes away our head to head win against Denver and makes it a conference record breaker. Now add the Titans at 9-7 as well and we're back in since the tiebreakers eliminate all but 1 team per division when breaking ties. So, Baltimore would get the 5 seed, then the tie breaker scenario is repeated. The Titans eliminate Houston on division record. Then head to head takes over as we beat both the Titans and Broncos we claim the #6 spot. If that's not enough, add Jax to the mix and we're back out as they and the Ravens would get the 2 spots.

With only 2 games left, there are so many combos I'm not sure who to cheer for. I do know Tennessee at 9-7 can't hurt us, so we should cheer for them to cancel out Houston. If Miami had beaten the Titans, we would be doing the same for them to cancel out the Jets.

Basically, I'm cheering for 2 wins and at least 1 loss from everybody else in the hunt and 2 losses for Baltimore. That, I know will get us in.
steelerchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 12:33 AM   #3
pepsyman1
Bench Warmer

You're right, we lose tiebreakers with most of the other teams if they finish 9-7 with us, but I think there is a reasonable chance that 4 of those other teams aren't gonna make it to 9-7 because of who they have left to play. The only reason I mentioned a 3 way tie with us, the ravens and broncos was that was the mostly likely 3 teams IF we can win out. All the others have rough schedules against strong teams and aren't likely to win out. If the division leaders win the games they are favored in the rest of the way, we will have an opening.
Old 12-21-2009, 12:52 AM   #4
johnnyribcage
Water Boy

Member Number: 15561

Yes it can happen... hang on... I'm working on it.... hang on... almost got it.... just... umm....
johnnyribcage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 12:54 AM   #5
Steelman16
Team President

Member Number: 6517

As Tomlin said, there's still a pulse left.
Old 12-21-2009, 12:58 AM   #6
pepsyman1
Bench Warmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyribcage View Post

Yes it can happen... hang on... I'm working on it.... hang on... almost got it.... just... umm....
LOL it's not THAT crazy! LOL
Old 12-21-2009, 01:16 AM   #7
SteelerEmpire
Team President

Member Number: 14355
Thanked 1,547 Times in 703 Posts

The lightnings gonna have to strike just right for that one.... If we do it'll be by the "hair of our chinny, chin, chin's ".....

A HOUSE DIVIDED WILL FALL TO IT'S ENEMIES;
BUT IN UNITY THERE ARE 6' SUPER BOWLS !!!
SteelerEmpire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 01:44 AM   #8
johnnyribcage
Water Boy

Member Number: 15561

WELL... just assuming it's a astronomically outside shot.... guess which Head and Shoulder's spokesman will be rejoining the team right about that time...
johnnyribcage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 02:21 AM   #9
ricksteelers55
Team Captain

Member Number: 3104

can you guys actually believe that even with 5 consecutive losses with losses against raiders,chiefs and browns...and injuries to Smith and Troy we're still fighting for a playoff spot ?
ricksteelers55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 02:53 AM   #10
SteelC7
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 14419

i llove that the same ppl that were crucifying the steelers last week, and saying the seasons over and we suck, are the same ppl who are saying keep hopes alive and, were goin to the playoffs and SB...so everybody calm down, obviously were the same defense that cant stop anybody, in the words of deion sanders on nfl network, "this is the WORST steeler defense i've ever seen." hes right, but hey that doesnt mean im not hopeful too, and didnt love the game today. it was a great game and i was on the edge of my seat the whole time, would be better than the SB drive if it won us anything except survival to next week. GO STEELERS!!!
SteelC7 is offline   Reply With Quote