Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Bucs

Old 12-21-2009, 10:44 AM   #1
BradfordTheGreat
Water Boy

Member Number: 14123
Default James Farrior

James Farrior is an experienced, smart football player, a terrific run stopper and blitzer, and a good tackler. This thread is not to rag on him, but the situations he's put in.

As we all know, he's getting up there in the age department, and with that, he's getting slower. And when I say slower, I mean a half step slower than any given route runner on the opposing squad, besides maybe a slow fullback or very slow tight end.

My question: Why ever put him in man coverage?

We saw it against Ray Rice in Baltimore, we certainly saw it last night in those passes over the middle, where he was lucky that a pass skipped off his helmet. We saw it game 1 vs. Cinci where he couldn't stay with Bernard Scott (i think?) on a crucial 4th down play.

Why would we ever put him into man coverage? He continues to blow it, and not because he's bad, he's just too slow nowadays.

We need to do one or more of the following:

-Blitz him. He's a good pass rusher for an MLB and makes a habit of getting to the QB through middle.

-Drop him into a middle zone. God (and Aaron Rodgers) know we have gaps over the middle in our cover 3.

-Double someone. He is still a liability in this, since he has obligations in a double-team, in this case probably the underneath coverage, where speed is more of a factor.

-Spy the QB. Would've helped last night, against the most running QB in the nfl.

Again, this isn't to rag on him. And I'm not saying he's any worse in man coverage than our secondary, but they have no excuse. This just comes down to playcalling.
Old 12-21-2009, 10:54 AM   #2
madtowndrunkard
Team Captain

Member Number: 11280
Default Re: James Farrior

He's part of a system. You cannot let one player dictate how you run your entire defense. Farrior needs to do what is asked of him. I'm willing to bet what the offense does dictates what Farrior does on any given play. Dick Lebeau has been doing this a while. I'm sure he knows who is getting it done and who is not. Unfortunately he has to use the players he has. Sure he can change things up a little bit given the strengths and weaknesses of his players....but I hardly think Farrior is such a problem that we need to adjust our schemes to cover up Farriors weaknesses.

I think the loss of A. Smith and Troy have more to do with our defense falling apart then schemes. Lack of pass rush has exposed our secondary. I'm not talking about sacks....I'm talking about Smiths ability to collapse the pocket and hurry up the QB. Smith rarely gets a sack but he's always causing QB's to hurry or feel uncomfortable. Smith's absence also makes things tougher for our LB's. Now add in the fact that the QB no longer has to wonder were the heck is Troy P? If the opponents QB is comfortable and has no fear of throwing the ball in the middle of the field (were troy normally roams) it is a recipe for disaster.

Sure other issues have come up. Ike and Gay are certainly have a bad year....but I think the loss of Troy and Smith have magnified that a ton. I think one more playmaker in the secondary for next year would go along way towards making our defense as dominate as we all expect.
madtowndrunkard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 11:14 AM   #3
BradfordTheGreat
Water Boy

Member Number: 14123

Quote:
Originally Posted by madtowndrunkard View Post
....but I hardly think Farrior is such a problem that we need to adjust our schemes to cover up Farriors weaknesses.
I'm not saying we have to give up on our schemes.

And I recall it's a fairly large problem, at least in end game situations. Take Ray Rice's catch for example, or Bernard Scott's. We play those differently, and take him out of man, and we're (maybe) 9-5.
Old 12-21-2009, 11:28 AM   #4
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by madtowndrunkard View Post
Sure other issues have come up. Ike and Gay are certainly have a bad year....but I think the loss of Troy and Smith have magnified that a ton. I think one more playmaker in the secondary for next year would go along way towards making our defense as dominate as we all expect.
One more playmaker in the secondary ...now I wonder who that could be. Perhaps someone who could take over for Carter and be a bit more explosive. If only we had someone like that on the roster.

Ahh well. I don't know where we'd find that kind of player, so I guess we'd better go DB, DB, DB, DB, OL, OL, OL in the draft.
Old 12-21-2009, 12:05 PM   #5
OneForTheToe
Living Legend

Member Number: 2408

In addition to our two rookies, and a probable a draft pick, I see us signing a mid-range free agent corner or safety next season. Someone brought in who has better ball skills. Of course, if Clark goes then we might have to bring in more than one.
OneForTheToe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 12:10 PM   #6
BlastFurnace
Living Legend

Member Number: 6321

I think Farrior is finished. He misses way too many tackles and is beaten fairly easily when covering anyone. Not to mention, some of his missed tackles are just flops and flails...in other words....he looks pretty bad doing it.

Clearly though, the biggest weakness on the defense is the entire secondary....every single one of them.
BlastFurnace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 12:28 PM   #7
madtowndrunkard
Team Captain

Member Number: 11280

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
One more playmaker in the secondary ...now I wonder who that could be. Perhaps someone who could take over for Carter and be a bit more explosive. If only we had someone like that on the roster.

Ahh well. I don't know where we'd find that kind of player, so I guess we'd better go DB, DB, DB, DB, OL, OL, OL in the draft.

:) You know what I mean. It would be nice to have one more besides Troy. I would not mind seeing a ball hawking FS on this team.

That could suddenly make our corners look alot better then they've been.
madtowndrunkard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 01:59 PM   #8
SteelMember
Team Owner

Member Number: 8745

I don't think Farrior is finished by any means.

Yes, he has been put into some poor coverage situations. Covering Rb's on the outside of the box, but that's a problem/mis-match for a lot of lb's.

Look at the problems Heath made for Hawk yesterday. He's not old.

Coach's try to get these types of mis-matches all the time.

Besides, Farriors helmet made a nice play to deflect that deep ball over the middle.

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll
SteelMember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 02:08 PM   #9
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

Needs to be cut number one in the offseason. Had a good career with the Steelers. We are entirely to old up front.
Old 12-21-2009, 02:11 PM   #10
BlastFurnace
Living Legend

Member Number: 6321

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelMember View Post
I don't think Farrior is finished by any means.

Yes, he has been put into some poor coverage situations. Covering Rb's on the outside of the box, but that's a problem/mis-match for a lot of lb's.

Look at the problems Heath made for Hawk yesterday. He's not old.

Coach's try to get these types of mis-matches all the time.

Besides, Farriors helmet made a nice play to deflect that deep ball over the middle.
It's not just his coverage skills. He flops all over the field after missing tackles as well.
BlastFurnace is offline   Reply With Quote