Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 12-21-2009, 12:17 PM   #1
DoubleYoi
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 15474
Default Criticism of Tomlin

I'm hearing people bash Tomlin for his "moronic" onside kick call in yesterday's game. Not only did I agree with the call at the same time Troy Aikman was scratching his inbred forehead, I agree with it in hindsight as well and not just because it worked to perfection (left enough time on the clock for an amazing comeback drive).

However, here is my question. Why isn't Ike Taylor being reamed for his illegal touching of the ball? He knew the onside kick was coming, knew the ten yard rule and knew touching the ball anywhere short of the ten yard mark would warrant a penalty and give GB the ball. That knowledge still wasn't enough to keep him from snatching the ball after it only traveled nine yards. Awesome play call and pi$$ poor execution in my mind. Ike, quit swankin' and start thinkin' before you single-handedly cost your team any remote chance of having a playoff berth.
DoubleYoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 12:21 PM   #2
madtowndrunkard
Team Captain

Member Number: 11280
Default Re: Criticism of Tomlin

Stupid call no matter how you try to spin it.

Fact of the matter is if Wallace drops that last pass Tomlin would have been crucified by everyone....in Pittsburgh and the national media.

Packer fans were laughing their ass off at how stupid that call was. Luckily for us Ben pulled out one of his heroic drives that I haven't seen since the SB.
madtowndrunkard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 12:21 PM   #3
43Hitman
BACON!!
Supporter

Member Number: 1251
My Mood: Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleYoi View Post
I'm hearing people bash Tomlin for his "moronic" onside kick call in yesterday's game. Not only did I agree with the call at the same time Troy Aikman was scratching his inbred forehead, I agree with it in hindsight as well and not just because it worked to perfection (left enough time on the clock for an amazing comeback drive).

However, here is my question. Why isn't Ike Taylor being reamed for his illegal touching of the ball? He knew the onside kick was coming, knew the ten yard rule and knew touching the ball anywhere short of the ten yard mark would warrant a penalty and give GB the ball. That knowledge still wasn't enough to keep him from snatching the ball after it only traveled nine yards. Awesome play call and pi$$ poor execution in my mind. Ike, quit swankin' and start thinkin' before you single-handedly cost your team any remote chance of having a playoff berth.
Umm, how about he is running at break neck speed and literally has half a second to react to that ball. Also, it was a half a yard short of where it needed to be before being touched. In case you didn't know, half a yard is 18 inches. Now you tell me how you would have done in that circumstance with 5 guys getting ready to knock your head off. Just trying to put this in perspective for you, not flame you.

"Football is a physical game, or at least it used to be" -Mel Blount
43Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 12:26 PM   #4
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 6,269 Times in 2,306 Posts

Hated the call at the time. But 20/20 hindsight, it was the right thing to do. And that folks is why I am not an nfl coach.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 12:32 PM   #5
JEFF4i
Banned

Member Number: 10645

Quote:
Originally Posted by madtowndrunkard View Post

Fact of the matter is if Wallace drops that last pass Tomlin would have been crucified by everyone....in Pittsburgh and the national media.

Packer fans were laughing their ass off at how stupid that call was. Luckily for us Ben pulled out one of his heroic drives that I haven't seen since the SB.
I'm sorry, but you're the stupid one.

Really, the call was ballsy and maybe ill-advised, but I hardly think it was stupid. It worked, bottom line.
JEFF4i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 12:35 PM   #6
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Thanked 1,317 Times in 477 Posts

Quote:

Bet they stopped laughing when the clock hit triple-zero. Fact is, that game was beginning to play out just like a lot of other losses this year have - holding onto a precarious lead late in the 4th quarter only to be surrendered by a defense that can't get a stop to save their lives with next to no time on the clock.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 12:40 PM   #7
madtowndrunkard
Team Captain

Member Number: 11280

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
Bet they stopped laughing when the clock hit triple-zero. Fact is, that game was beginning to play out just like a lot of other losses this year have - holding onto a precarious lead late in the 4th quarter only to be surrendered by the defense with next to no time on the clock.

That is all true, but it does not make that call any less stupid.

If any other coach makes that call and you are all laughing your asses off saying how stupid that was. If Wallace doesn't make that catch Tomlin would have been crucified and the players would probably revolted like we've never seen before.

2 point lead, late in the 4th quarter.... and we still have playoff chances. no way can you rationalize that call. it worked out luckily. Luckily the Packers secondary is even worse then ours.
madtowndrunkard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 12:45 PM   #8
Bluedust
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 14019

Quote:

If any other coach makes that call and you are all laughing your asses off saying how stupid that was. If Wallace doesn't make that catch Tomlin would have been crucified and the players would probably revolted like we've never seen before.

2 point lead, late in the 4th quarter.... and we still have playoff chances. no way can you rationalize that call. it worked out luckily. Luckily the Packers secondary is even worse then ours.
If we were 12 - 4, yes I'd say it was a dumb call, but obviously whatever we've been doing hasn't been working.

But hey the Packers scored 3 TDs on us in the 4th, so did the Raiders, so did (insert almost every team here) we'd definitely be able to stop them THIS time!
Bluedust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 12:50 PM   #9
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Thanked 1,317 Times in 477 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluedust View Post
If we were 12 - 4, yes I'd say it was a dumb call, but obviously whatever we've been doing hasn't been working.

But hey the Packers scored 3 TDs on us in the 4th, so did the Raiders, so did (insert almost every team here) we'd definitely be able to stop them THIS time!
How many 3rd-and-15+ situations has our defense allowed to be converted? I've lost count.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 12:52 PM   #10
Steel_12
Starter
Supporter

Member Number: 8295

Quote:

You can't be this stubborn...lol.

If Wallace drops the ball, he would've been crucified NOT Tomlin because Tomlin put us in that position with the onside kick!! Geez...

2 point lead, late in the 4th quarter...and we have a defense that has already given up 2 Touchdowns at that point in the quarter...no way you cannot see the rationality of the call! We did get lucky that they scored quick but that's what he anticipated...
Steel_12 is offline   Reply With Quote