Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Bucs

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 28, 1:00 PM
FOX

Old 12-22-2009, 06:11 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Steelers' Wallace goes from kid to hero

Steelers' Wallace goes from kid to hero
http://www.timesonline.com/sports/sp...d-to-hero.html
By: Mike Bires
Beaver County Times

Tuesday December 22, 2009 12:01 AM

PITTSBURGH — Moments before he became a hero, Mike Wallace got an earful from his angry quarterback.

With 13 seconds left to play Sunday and the Steelers frantically trying to rally, Mike Wallace couldn’t hang on to a pass that would have resulted in at least a first-and-goal inside the Packers’ 5-yard line or maybe even a touchdown.

“I chewed Mike out a little because I felt that he kind of quit on the play,” Ben Roethlisberger said. “I just said, ‘Listen, it’s time that you have to make a play. It’s time to grow up.’ ”

Wallace, 23, grew up in a hurry. Two plays later, he scored a touchdown as time expired that allowed the Steelers to escape with a breathtaking 37-36 win.

On the 19-yard TD, Wallace found a way to get open. He found a way to make a diving catch. And he found a way to keep his feet inbounds.

It was a play reminiscent of Santonio Holmes’ 6-yard TD catch that gave the Steelers’ a 27-23 win in Super Bowl XLIII.

“I’m just happy to have a guy like Ben to come back to me and to have a guy help me fight through adversity,” Wallace said.

Actually, Roethlisberger didn’t go to Wallace by design.

Wallace was the fifth option on the play that started with just three seconds showing on the clock.

Holmes, flanked to the right, was the first option, but he was covered.

Running back Rashard Mendenhall was the second option, but he was covered along the right sideline.

The third option was wide receiver Hines Ward, lined up in the slot on the left side of the formation. But Ward couldn’t shake free.

The fourth option was tight end Heath Miller, who lined up between Ward and left tackle Max Starks. But Miller, too, wasn’t open.
Advertisement Click here

The fifth and final option was Wallace, who flanked to the left.

Inspired by the scolding he got from Roethlisberger, Wallace was determined to make a play if the ball came his way. Roethlisberger did go to Wallace, and this time, Wallace delivered.

He ran straight toward the end zone, and after crossing the goal line, he turned to his left and shook free from cornerback Josh Bell. As Wallace turned, the ball was there for him.

“Great throw. OK catch,” Wallace said with a smile. “You dreams of things like this all the time. Before a game, I always see myself making plays in my head. For it to come true, it’s great.”

Wallace’s game-winning TD was his second catch in a win that keeps the Steelers (7-7) in the hunt for a wild card berth. His first catch came on the first play of the game, a 60-yard bomb in which Wallace blew by cornerback Jarrett Bush.

“He made plays when given the opportunity, not that he’s had a bunch of opportunities (this year),” coach Mike Tomlin said. “It’s about what you do with them when you get them.

“He played big, and he played older than a rookie for us, which was needed.”

With 34 catches for 609 yards this season, Wallace is the Steelers’ fourth-leading receiver behind Ward (83 catches, 1,069 yards), Holmes (73/1,157) and Miller (68/698). But Wallace leads the team with an average of 17.9 yards per catch. And he’s tied with Miller for second on the team with five TDs (Ward has six).

“I understand my role and I understand the guys who are in front of me. They’re great guys. I’m just trying to learn from those guys so when my number is called, I’m going to be ready.”

When it mattered most Sunday, Wallace was more than ready.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 01:06 PM   #2
markymarc
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 2292
Default Re: Steelers' Wallace goes from kid to hero

Biggest catch of Mike's rookie campaign so far. That's kind of funny how he was the 5th option on that play. Good job to the OL allowing Ben enough time to read through all of the options as well. A perfect throw and an even better catch.
markymarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 01:17 PM   #3
Steelers>NFL
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 15311

Man what a great gem this kid has turned out to be. He is for real.
Between him and Mendy, I am really excited for the future of the Steelers.
The sky is the limit for these two guys.
Steelers>NFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 01:28 PM   #4
steelax04
Assistant Coach
Supporter

HolmenKollen Ski Jump Champion!
Member Number: 12182
My Mood: Yeehaw

Someone had to step in for Sweed. Wallace has been clutch all year and hopefully he continues the trend with the Steelers for a long time to come.
Old 12-22-2009, 04:18 PM   #5
Angus Burgher
Team Captain

Member Number: 15057

Yeah, I'm loving Wallace. He's had a GREAT rookie season. It's a shame he hasn't been getting the attention that fellow rooks Harvin, Wells, Oher and Cushing have been getting, but I guess that's what happens when you're not drafted in the first round. The bigger the paycheck, the bigger the hype, which is why guys like Reggie Bush still get massive amounts of attention even though it took him 4 seasons to become relevant.
Old 12-22-2009, 04:53 PM   #6
Psyychoward86
Living Legend

Member Number: 10772

believe it or not, he's well in contention for offensive rookie of the year, along with beanie wells, knowshon moreno, and harvin
Psyychoward86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 04:55 PM   #7
Angus Burgher
Team Captain

Member Number: 15057

Really, I thought they were pretty much ignoring him? Still, after this week, I guess that's impossible.

I don't know that he should absolutely win rookie of the year (just being fair here) but that's great to hear that he's in contention for it.
Old 12-22-2009, 06:28 PM   #8
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

I'd LOVE to seem him just blow up for 400 yards over the next two weeks...

With his speed, that may only be about 6 catches too.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 11:01 AM   #9
markymarc
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 2292

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers>NFL View Post
Between him and Mendy, I am really excited for the future of the Steelers. The sky is the limit for these two guys.
No doubt Mendenhall and Wallace make the future very bright offensively for the Steelers! It has been a lot of fun watching both of them grow in our offense this season.
markymarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 11:05 AM   #10
Nadroj 20
Team President

Member Number: 14045

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyychoward86 View Post
believe it or not, he's well in contention for offensive rookie of the year, along with beanie wells, knowshon moreno, and harvin
I believe it IMO he should be at least considered and if hes clutch in these next two games that are huge for the team then it will make his chances alot better
Nadroj 20 is offline   Reply With Quote