Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 12-22-2009, 06:21 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Steelers No. 1 rush defense -- ha-ha-ha

Steelers No. 1 rush defense -- ha-ha-ha
http://community.post-gazette.com/bl...-ha-ha-ha.aspx
By Bob Smizik | Monday 9:50 a.m.

Nobody asked me, but . . .

* If ever there were a number that fell into the category of lies, damn lies and statistics, itís this one: The Steelers are still No. 1 in the NFL against the rush. What has to be understood is that doesnít mean they necessarily have a good rush defense. It means why would any team waste its time trying to run the ball when passing it is so much easier.

* The last time the Green Bay Packers scored as many as 36 points was in September against the awful St. Louis Rams. Which means theyíve now scored 36 points against two awful defenses.

* The game answered all questions about Tomlin and the locker room. No, he hasnít lost it and whether it is divided or not, that doesnít stop professionals from doing what they have to do -- most of the time.

* The game also answered all questions about which unit has most led to the downfall of the Super Bowl champs. Special team and offense are in the running, but defense wins easily.

* Iím not blaming defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau for this meltdown but itís his job to try and get it right. I like LeBeauís chances better than almost anyoneís to do that, but it doesnít mean it can be done.

* If anyone needs proof that execution trumps strategy they need only look at this game. Two of the reigning geniuses of the game -- LeBeau and Dom Capers -- were in charge of the defenses and there was nothing they could do stop the offenses, neither of which was previously distinguished.

* Criticisms of Mike Tomlin for publicly embarrassing his defense by calling for the on-sides kick are off target. A coach has to do what he feels gives his team the best chance to win. If that strategy embarrasses the defense, so be it.

* That said, I canít agree with the strategy. Roethlisberger saved Tomlin a heap of embarrassment and, considering some of the fan base, a play he would never live down.

* Question: If the Steelers could score 37 against the No. 2 defense in the NFL, how could they not get a touchdown against the No. 32 10 days earlier?

* Incredibly, after the Steelers scored 37 points, racked up over 500 yards and dominated time of possession, my e-mail bag still has criticism of Bruce Arians.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 07:05 AM   #2
plenewken
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 3447
Default Re: Steelers No. 1 rush defense -- ha-ha-ha

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaSteeler View Post
Steelers No. 1 rush defense -- ha-ha-ha
http://community.post-gazette.com/bl...-ha-ha-ha.aspx
By Bob Smizik | Monday 9:50 a.m.

* If ever there were a number that fell into the category of lies, damn lies and statistics, itís this one: The Steelers are still No. 1 in the NFL against the rush. What has to be understood is that doesnít mean they necessarily have a good rush defense. It means why would any team waste its time trying to run the ball when passing it is so much easier.
Total offense and total defense are the 2 only meaningful measures of playing efficiency, in my opinion. Like Smizik pointed out, our pass defense is so awful that team don't even bother running the ball.
The Steelers are 15th in total offense and 10th in total defense.
For Special Teams, we are 20th in fewer number of punts, which is another measure of offensive efficiency.
By the way, we're also 28th in kicking, which is awful, giving up an average of 24.8yds per return and 4TDs.
To top it off, Reed is the shortest kicker of all NFL kickers with only 1 touch back in 67 kick-offs and an average of 60.5 yds per kick.

All these facts prove than we're an average team in all facets of the game this season and our 7-7 record is reflecting it perfectly.
plenewken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 08:04 AM   #3
steelerdave1969
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 12338

I have been a fan for atleast 30 years and I just dont understand how they could go get so bad in just a few weeks?.. Well it all started with the Steelers losing a very important piece of the LB corps when Larry Foote left to Detroit. Then we lose DE Aaron Smith for the season. Then his backup gets hurt and misses time, where is our no.1 pick Ziggy? Then one of the top S's in the biz has missed how many games... like 8 or more? William Gay in my opinion was truly not ready like I thought he was. I love Ryan Clark but without Troy Clark has proven he cant do it all by himself.. Clark brings it every game and hardly ever misses tackles, but Carter is a boy among men out there at times. He is a good player to come in in extra DB's when Troy is starting but he is Not a Starter.
When the Browns and Raiders bring 8 people on blitzes and Ben doesnt read it and get the ball out very quick or change the pass play to a run then there is no way that 5 is gonna block 8. I think alot more of the sacks are on Ben than on this line. I love My / Our Steelers, and these are just my opinions. But I also think that Rashard Mendenhall needs more than 11 carries per game, and I realize he had 7 receptions vs the Packers and I like that, but he needs 20 carries a game.
Old 12-22-2009, 08:34 AM   #4
LamarrWoodleysFade
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 13538

I hate the fact that the two things Pittsburgh is known for, Running the football and a dominat defense, is so non-exsistant right now. It's almost depressing, in a way.

I don't care what happens after this season, next season we need to work on getting back to that...
LamarrWoodleysFade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 09:23 AM   #5
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaSteeler View Post
* The game also answered all questions about which unit has most led to the downfall of the Super Bowl champs. Special team and offense are in the running, but defense wins easily.
Yes sir. But try explaining that to people who can't see the forest for the trees, and actually blame the offense for their failures.

Quote:
* I’m not blaming defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau for this meltdown but it’s his job to try and get it right. I like LeBeau’s chances better than almost anyone’s to do that, but it doesn’t mean it can be done.
Nah, of course not. Thou shalt not question the great Dick LeBeau...even though his defense has done nothing to convince anyone that they can stop a team full of old grandmas, let alone an NFL offense.

(Just for the record, there's no question Papa LeBeau has earned his stature, but that still doesn't mean he's beyond criticism. After all, coaches should always take the blame for everything that goes wrong, right?)

Quote:
* Criticisms of Mike Tomlin for publicly embarrassing his defense by calling for the on-sides kick are off target. A coach has to do what he feels gives his team the best chance to win. If that strategy embarrasses the defense, so be it.

* That said, I can’t agree with the strategy. Roethlisberger saved Tomlin a heap of embarrassment and, considering some of the fan base, a play he would never live down.
Agreed on both accounts.

Quote:
* Incredibly, after the Steelers scored 37 points, racked up over 500 yards and dominated time of possession, my e-mail bag still has criticism of Bruce Arians.
Why is that incredible, Bob? You, of all people, should not be surprised one iota that you have such emails in your inbox. The offense can put up the same passing numbers against the Ravens next week AND rush for over 100 yards, and BA will never be given credit from the "we need a scapegoat every week" crowd...which makes up about 75% of The Nation.
Old 12-22-2009, 09:39 AM   #6
Angus Burgher
Team Captain

Member Number: 15057

Yeah, I got into an argument with someone over this yesterday who criticized Tomlin for the onside kick call because he "publically snubbed LeBeau in favor of the talentless and predictable Arians."

I have news for people. Arians did his damned job Sunday. The offense put up 37 points, 560 yards, 7 scoring drives, 4 TDs and won the time of possession battle. What ELSE did they have to do? So they didn't utilize the run. Are you kidding me? Why does this matter if they're putting points on the board and using up time? They went with what was working. If you want to rail against Bruce for the Cleveland game, be my guest. But the reason Sunday's game was so close was because - once again - the defense SUCKED. Horribly.

Therefore, I don't blame Mike Tomlin for not trusting them in the last 3 minutes of the game. We trusted them against Oakland and look how well that turned out. His logic on that onside kick may have been a massive gamble, but at least in that game, I can certainly understand trusting your offense over your pathetic defense.
Old 12-22-2009, 09:49 AM   #7
LukesDad88
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 12562

So Bruce had one game where his gamepllan worked out. Compare this weeks success with his decision to throw the ball over 40 times in the arctic conditions of Cleveland two weeks ago. That poor decision making was far too bad to be made up for by this weeks success.

BTW, If we could actually run the damn ball, we would use up alot more time off the clock, and not leaving our D in the position of having a 4th quarter collapse.

Sorry, but Bruce Arians can do alot of things well in prepping an offense, but he is not a good playcaller.
LukesDad88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 09:53 AM   #8
madtowndrunkard
Team Captain

Member Number: 11280

I think Bob is not giving GB the respect they deserve offensively.

Rogers is one of the best QBs in the league. That offense has been capable of putting up big points. The main thing holding them back this year was pass protection. GB's O-line has been playing much better as of late w/ the addition of Mark Taucher.

With the loss of Troy P and A. Smith on our defense it only makes sense to throw in the steelers. Yes our pass defense is bad. I think some of that has to do with the injuries. I also wonder if Tomlin has anything to do with it? When Tomlin was the D-coordinator in Minnesota they had the same issue.....they were dead last in the league against the pass. While we aren't what we used to be against the rush ...we still are not bad stopping the run and a team like GB with a great QB is going to throw the ball.

Like many other games this year lost is the fact that our defense did very well against that GB offense for 3 quarters. Once again they fell apart in the 4th. You have to wonder what the coaches are doing in the 4th. Is their approach different? Are we playing more "prevent" Are we becoming less aggressive w/ the play calls?
madtowndrunkard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 09:56 AM   #9
madtowndrunkard
Team Captain

Member Number: 11280

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukesDad88 View Post
So Bruce had one game where his gamepllan worked out. Compare this weeks success with his decision to throw the ball over 40 times in the arctic conditions of Cleveland two weeks ago. That poor decision making was far too bad to be made up for by this weeks success.

BTW, If we could actually run the damn ball, we would use up alot more time off the clock, and not leaving our D in the position of having a 4th quarter collapse.

Sorry, but Bruce Arians can do alot of things well in prepping an offense, but he is not a good playcaller.

Yea, take this game plan of throwing the ball 90% of the time and you will lose alot of games. We are 7-7 against a very easy schedule. Our offense is not ranked among the best in terms of scoring....not even close. Given the talent we have that's ridiculous.
madtowndrunkard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 10:01 AM   #10
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
Nah, of course not. Thou shalt not question the great Dick LeBeau...even though his defense has done nothing to convince anyone that they can stop a team full of old grandmas, let alone an NFL offense.

(Just for the record, there's no question Papa LeBeau has earned his stature, but that still doesn't mean he's beyond criticism. After all, coaches should always take the blame for everything that goes wrong, right?)
Absolutely Papa Lebeau has more than earned his stature and imho, is the best DC to ever hold that title in the NFL, but if, as we are supposed to believe around here, coaches are responsible for the play of those in their respective unit(s) and the "failure to adjust", he should be held liable for the D's dismal play this season. How ridiculous that sounds, eh?

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote