Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 12-22-2009, 02:44 PM   #1
Aussie_steeler
Head Coach

Member Number: 5037
Default Trent Williams - switch to center

Oklahomas line has really had injury issues of late. Trent Williams looks like he is going to start at center to help the team and his draft stock.

http://www.newsok.com/trent-williams...ad_story_title

Quote:
Coach Bob Stoops said Monday starting center Brian Lepak sprained his knee over the weekend in practice and could miss the Sun Bowl.

"He just got rolled up. We were in our inside drill, and somebody we have knee braces on and all just rolled into him, Stoops said. "Its a sprain. Unsure of the degree. Well just have to see.

"If he cant play, then well, in all likelihood, have Trent Williams at center and Cory Brandon and Eric Mensik at the tackles.

The 6-foot-5, 320-pound Williams, a consensus All-American at left tackle, has never played center in a game, though he has practiced there some throughout the season for an emergency situation.

The move could prove to be an opportunity for Williams, who is hoping to be a first-round pick in the upcoming NFL Draft.

By proving he possesses the versatility to also play on the interior of the line, Williams could improve his stock with teams looking to draft linemen with the flexibility to step in at either tackle, guard or center.

Read more: http://www.newsok.com/trent-williams...#ixzz0aS6wqyS2
Old 12-22-2009, 03:13 PM   #2
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353
Default Re: Trent Williams - switch to center

I'm starting to think that this guy may end up being a top 5 pick, and therefore out of our reach. Ciron Black, Russell Okung, Bryan Bulaga....there will be some solid OT's available this year, and if we really covet one enough to use a first round pick, I think we won't be reaching if we pick in the top 20 for any of these guys. But here's the rub...the other 3 guys project out as RT's, and I think Willie Colon is probably our most solid OLman. We REALLY need a LT if OT is what we're after, and IMO Williams is the best option.
Old 12-23-2009, 07:31 AM   #3
Dylan
Starter

Member Number: 3276

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
I'm starting to think that this guy may end up being a top 5 pick, and therefore out of our reach. Ciron Black, Russell Okung, Bryan Bulaga....there will be some solid OT's available this year, and if we really covet one enough to use a first round pick, I think we won't be reaching if we pick in the top 20 for any of these guys. But here's the rub...the other 3 guys project out as RT's, and I think Willie Colon is probably our most solid OLman. We REALLY need a LT if OT is what we're after, and IMO Williams is the best option.
don't forget about the ackle out of rutgers....Anthony Davis.....by the time the draft comes up he could very well be the top tackle
Dylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 10:54 AM   #4
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan View Post
don't forget about the ackle out of rutgers....Anthony Davis.....by the time the draft comes up he could very well be the top tackle
His stock is definitely rising...but he's a little inexperienced. Has he declared yet? Playing at Rutgers, it's not like he's going to stay in school in hopes of a 2010 National Championship or anything...
Old 12-23-2009, 11:15 AM   #5
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 2,814 Times in 1,322 Posts

This year is going to be interesting for OT's. Lots of variables happened this season with illness, injury and poor performances.

-Okung should be the top one taken, then many thought Williams would be next, but he really struggled this season. I still think he goes top 10.
-Anthony Davis looks good, Rutgers asks him to pull a lot and he moves well for a big man!!! I think he declared
-Bulaga was sick part of the season and looked slow of foot, but could still be picked high based on body of work(if he declares)
-Bruce Campbell(Master o Puppets pimping him) could be a 1st round pick, but has had nagging injuries
-Jason Fox of Miami could be a late 1st rounder, but he is missing their bowl game due to surgery
-Charles Brown of USC gets a lot of run, but I think he is a bit light and ends up in a zone block system
-Ciron Black looks more like a OG. As Gil Brandt said "when I turn on his film, I expect to see much more".

I think we can get a good OT in the 1st, but not sure the Steelers value a LT as they belive Starks is the guy. Short of it is, that Trent Williams might have been the best O lineman on the Sooners last year.....better than Loadholt.
Old 12-23-2009, 11:31 AM   #6
SteelMember
Team Owner

Member Number: 8745

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
This year is going to be interesting for OT's. Lots of variables happened this season with illness, injury and poor performances.

-Okung should be the top one taken, then many thought Williams would be next, but he really struggled this season. I still think he goes top 10.
-Anthony Davis looks good, Rutgers asks him to pull a lot and he moves well for a big man!!! I think he declared
-Bulaga was sick part of the season and looked slow of foot, but could still be picked high based on body of work(if he declares)
-Bruce Campbell(Master o Puppets pimping him) could be a 1st round pick, but has had nagging injuries
-Jason Fox of Miami could be a late 1st rounder, but he is missing their bowl game due to surgery
-Charles Brown of USC gets a lot of run, but I think he is a bit light and ends up in a zone block system
-Ciron Black looks more like a OG. As Gil Brandt said "when I turn on his film, I expect to see much more".

I think we can get a good OT in the 1st, but not sure the Steelers value a LT as they belive Starks is the guy. Short of it is, that Trent Williams might have been the best O lineman on the Sooners last year.....better than Loadholt.
All right Gonzo, this is what I'm talking about!

Give me more of these posts, and quit holding out!

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll
SteelMember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 11:43 AM   #7
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 2,814 Times in 1,322 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelMember View Post
All right Gonzo, this is what I'm talking about!

Give me more of these posts, and quit holding out!
I dont think that the Steelers will draft an OT this year, I am trying to use reverse Karma. I'm gonna hope Rolondo McLain comes out and pimp him, or if we fall far enough maybe Eric Berry.

But.....I did record the Rutgers game and Davis pulls like Ryan Clady, but pass blocks with folded arms and has no punch like Max Starks. I think he is a guy that can start at RT right away, but play LT by year 2-3.
Old 12-23-2009, 04:00 PM   #8
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,935 Times in 1,667 Posts

i've see more than 1 draft site suggest williams will be a RT or G at the next level ..

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 04:20 PM   #9
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
i've see more than 1 draft site suggest williams will be a RT or G at the next level ..
That's....odd. He's one of the fastest LOT's ever to come out of college (if his 40's hold up). He does have short arms (relatively speaking), but the guy is SO athletic, and has such good feet, I think he can overcome that one area. I think people are bagging on him because OK had a bad year, and the OL in general was beat up. He's also moved around a lot, and that will hurt any college kids game.
Old 12-23-2009, 04:43 PM   #10
Aussie_steeler
Head Coach

Member Number: 5037

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post

Love the analysis Gonz

I think a 3rd or 4th rounder is more a possibility.

Whats your take on Capers, Calloway, Young, Ulatoski, Wang and Veldheer? They seem to be more likely picks for us.

I am still holding my breath for Maurkice Pouncey. Like what I have seen of him. A bigger Dermonti Dawson????